Leftover's Delight Breakfast Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftover's Delight Breakfast Recipe

This grrl's fancy turned to what should I do with various bits and pieces left in the cooler. I despise throwing food away and had spent this particular camping trip depending less on what I made at home and froze and more on packing raw materials and seeing where it would take me when I got on site.

The cardboard container of eggs was beginning to disintegrate in the cooler (Note to self: buy eggs in Styrofoam case only whist camping!); greedy eyes got the best of me at a cheese monger's stand at local farmers' market; the homegrown tomatoes and herbs gifted to us by my sister were saying time was near; the chimichurri sauce was languishing and RI clam broth purchased at a road stand was taking up too much space in the cooler. Some roasted veggies I'd wrapped in foil with a little oil one night needed eating as well.

So here's my prolly never remade in the same fashion "Leftover's Delight" video:p:

http://youtu.be/JCxgJ2lJ1KE

I used a..6" CI skillet and was kinda surprised to see that it held 4 large eggs w/o overcrowding. Normally, I travel with my 12" skillet and this trip proved that it's not always necessary.

Finally here's a pic of the dish on the plate. The eggs came out more sunnyside up than poached but in truth that was fine with me. The man likes poached eggs but I don't. Were you to prefer poached I think the answer would be to use more liquid at the start:

Last edited by NYCgrrl; 09-22-2013, 04:49 AM. Reason: numerous technodope errors
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Leftover's Delight Breakfast Recipe

NYCgrrl: I make a skillet breakfast kind of thing using whatever bits and pieces that are left over from other meals as well...
    I start with a dices up raw potato that gets patially cooked then add whatever leftover veggies might be around,(ie mushrooms,
    spinach,squash,onions,peppers)you get the idea. let that cook a bit then pour in 4-6 scrambled eggs...let that cook till just about
    completely cooked through, and sprinkle on your favorite cheese, cover with lid and let it sit a few minutes for the cheese to melt...
    It can be eaten from a plate or put into flour tortillas to make breakfast tacos or burritos...when I have leftover meat, doesn't
    matter what kind, I throw that in as well...

Lunch can be done in a similar fashion in that leftovers can be combined to make a chunky-style soup or stew...really good on a cold,rainy day
    with a grilled cheese sandwich...

Comment

Nice recipes and ideas, NYCgrrl and TNONMYMIND.

Another quick easy thing to do with left overs is to just mix all your left overs with eggs, a splash of milk, and some left over torn up bread pieces and make egg bake. Egg bake is a man's way of saying quiche.

If you don't have an oven, put the mixture in a covered skillent (cast iron best), and cook on low heat. Take the lid off and let the moisture evaporate of the top if you have picky eaters.

a little black pepper and cheese on top is the secret for turning this recipe from good to excellent.

Last edited by Mike; 09-24-2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Glad to know there are other skillet dish makers out there.
        My darling granddaughter is gonna be in for a surprise when she finally learns mixing foods is normal .
        However in keeping with her current phase I inflicted her with noooooo casserole type dishes on her trip. 'Cept for lasagna, and mac + cheese just to check and see if she was past some of her other rules. Errrrr she's not.....poor child.... the things she misses.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          Glad to know there are other skillet dish makers out there.
          My darling granddaughter is gonna be in for a surprise when she finally learns mixing foods is normal .
          However in keeping with her current phase I inflicted her with noooooo casserole type dishes on her trip. 'Cept for lasagna, and mac + cheese just to check and see if she was past some of her other rules. Errrrr she's not.....poor child.... the things she misses.
          Ha ha. I remember when my son went through a very brief foo-foo phase. He came home one evening with his new girlfriend and announced that he was going to be a vegan starting that night.

We happened to be having steaks that night. I put the potato and broccoli on his plate (and for his girlfriend) and the steaks for the rest of us. Within twenty minutes, his vegan plans were behind him and he was eating steak. Sorry, PETA.

Comment

Working...
          X