Lego of my legumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lego of my legumes

Legumes - beans and peas, are so underutiized by campers.

It is worth a mention. beans/peas are lightweight, energy rich, filling, culinary diverse foods that are perfect for camping and backpacking.

Most people think that beans require long soaking and cooking which is impractical for camping. However, with a pressure cooker, even the most stubborn pinto or navy bean can be cooked tender between 12 to 27 minutes, depending on which pressure cooker you use. There are some thin walled aluminum pressure cookers today that are not much heavier than a standard cook pot. GSI makes a good campers pressure cooker

SOUPS/STEWS: The traditional bean or pea soup is easier than cooking a boiled egg and by adding corn, potatoes, and onions, can be a real satisfying meal and very rewarding during cool weather.

SALAD: Black eyed peas and wheatberries can be cooked together shortly to a slightly al-dente firmness then tossed with oil, salt, and vinegarl (or powdered citric acid from the canning section of the grocery store) to make nice grain salad.

SANDWICHES: Beans can be cooked to paste, mashed, fried, flavored, and used for sandwich fillings They can be savory with salt/boullion or sweetened for a sweet paste sandwich filling.

DESSERTS: Cook soft and smooth or mash and then sweeten with sugar, honey or sorgum. You can add hand-rolled dough-ball dumplings to this sweet bean soup OR, you can make a thicker sweet bean paste, wrap it in flattened dough and bake or roast on a stick for a nice pastry. If you are familiar with traditional Asian desserts, these suggestions will be familiar to you.
    Last edited by Mike; 09-14-2013, 06:29 AM.

Re: Lego of my legumes

I never thought to use beans in desserts yet it does make sense.

Since I still have an irrational fear of pressure cookers from an incident I observed in childhood (Yes. I know the technology has changed) I soak and cook my beans at home and freeze em to go camping.

Have you tried making black bean fritters yet? Delicious!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

NYCgrrl. I have NOT tried black bean fritters, but I WOULD LIKE TO!

Do you have a Recipe?

Comment

Sure!

Here is one version that's gluten free (a method of eating I've been toying with). It comes from Sara Moulton and I'll post the complete recipe link as well:

Ingredients
        Black Bean Filling:

1/4 cup diced onion
        1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
        1 cup dried black beans, picked over and soaked overnight
        Pinch dried oregano, optional

Directions

Drain the bean liquid and rinse. Heat a small saucepan with enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, a dash of oregano (if using) and water to cover 2 inches above the beans. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, and cook partly covered, until tender. Keep water in reserve to replenish the cooking liquid as necessary so the beans are always covered by at least 1-inch. The beans should be cooked until tender, about 1 hour. Drain excess liquid. Place the beans in a bowl and mash until pureed. Season with salt and black pepper and keep at room temperature.

To assemble the plate: Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Place the fritters in the hot oil and cook until golden brown on each side. Reduce to low flame and continue to cook until the fritter is hot throughout. Serve immediately, with a dollop of sour cream and cured red onions.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/s...ml?oc=linkback
        You can also make a sturdier version that would look well on a burger roll and not appear as if it needed 'splaining to a carnivore at a cookout:D:

I make mine w/o a recipe yet this one comes closest to how I make mine so no need for me to wrack my brain wondering if I left anything out:D

http://www.miasdomain.com/2011/12/cr...th-creamy.html

I've never made a specific sauce with my fritters. Just putter around with stuff on hand but the cilantro sauce does read well.

My on site sauces could be avocado mash mixed with salsa or just the gator pear with a lil S+P plus citrus juice. I was happy to see packets of avocado in the refrigerated aisle of the supermarket. Easier to pack than the fruit itself with no bruising or unreadable preservatives. Mayo mixed with pesto could work nicely as well.
        About that salsa you can actually add it directly into the fritter mix.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Excellent, NYCgrrrl! I can't wait to try it. Maybe this will be the treat for this weekend

Your recipe certainly is packable -- no refrigeration and dry compact ingredients. It could be a backpacking burger!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Excellent, NYCgrrrl! I can't wait to try it. Maybe this will be the treat for this weekend

Your recipe certainly is packable -- no refrigeration and dry compact ingredients. It could be a backpacking burger!
            Thanks mucho. I've decided that I want to try some backpacking next spring so I'm glad to know this recipe looks doable for that version of camping.
            2017:

Comment

NYCgrrl, I'd think about getting tested if you think you have celiac disease. Folks who don't and go gluten-free risk nutritional problems and a doubling of food costs to retain proper nutrition without grains that contain gluten. With some spicy peppers mixed in your recipe would be an interesting alternative to my bollos fritters (Cuban, black eyed peas), and we're already addicted to various plantain recipes from two trips to the Carribbean over the last couple of years.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                NYCgrrl, I'd think about getting tested if you think you have celiac disease. Folks who don't and go gluten-free risk nutritional problems and a doubling of food costs to retain proper nutrition without grains that contain gluten. With some spicy peppers mixed in your recipe would be an interesting alternative to my bollos fritters (Cuban, black eyed peas), and we're already addicted to various plantain recipes from two trips to the Carribbean over the last couple of years.
                Thanks tplife. I'm not a sufferer of celiac but I do know someone who is . I wuvvvvvvv spicy food and think a Scotch bonnet pepper could make a fine addition to fritters but unfortunately not everyone in my life can still go toe to toe with me in that direction. Plantains would make a wunnerful camping breakfast food and thanks for the reminder! Personal fav is sweet over tostones but err it's not like I'm truly that picky.
                2017:

Comment

Working...
                X