Flour Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flour Power

It is surprising to me how many folks searching for lightweight, nutritional, delicious foods overlook basic flours.

Folks will scour shops for promising freeze-dried foods or other lightweight dried foods, but they mostly overlook the energy-rich, versitile, and delicious grain flours like wheat flour, corn-meal, rye, rice-flour, and buckwheat.

Tired of oatmeal? Boil up some corn flour in water to make a thick corn porridge. Sweeten with molasses. Oh, that is very nice in the morning. Make extra, let it cool, then cut into slabs and fry for lunch

BREADS:

With just a little research, one can easily learn how to make a great many quick-breads like Banock bread or corn muffins and corn cakes which are made with flours and baking powder.

Just as easy are yeast breads - flour salt, yeast, water. mix, set aside, and bake. It does not have to be more complicated than that. Sure, you can go full-force and knead a stiff dough to make a traditional loaf, but there are many versions of spoon type yeast breads that only require mixing basic ingredients once with yeast with a spoon, then set aside for a short time to proof, then bake.

Baking basic simple breads does not require Dutch Ovens or reflector ovens. With care, you can bake breads in your standard cooking pots. Just take your time and use less heat than you think.

If you have nesting pots, well then you have an oven already. Put the pot with the bread dough into the larger nesting pot and bake that way. A splash of water inside the larger pot will give a few minutes of steam before the actual bake time and reduce the chance of burning.

Re: Flour Power

I always take flour with me camping. We may want biscuits more than once, and its easy to make drop biscuits with flour, shortening and milk. No rolling needed. We cook breakfast camping, I take a bag of cereal with me, but my kids usually eat that as a snack. Camping is special and a big breakfast is special to us. You gotta have flour to make white gravy.

I will be adding instant oatmeal to my tubs next trip. We eat grits down here in Tn too.

Comment

It is surprising to me how many folks searching for lightweight, nutritional, delicious foods overlook basic flours.
      I try to avoid sugars and grains in my diet as much as possible. That's actually the hardest part of travelling. Try to grab a fast food breakfast on the way to a hiking trail that isn't all grains.

Bacon and eggs, no toast is my preferred camping/hiking breakfast.

Comment

When in a pinch water cakes
        Flour just enough water to bind,
        Can add whatever seasoning you like, make buscuit sized wafers, and have a snack/meal
        Civil war recipe for when rations were low

Comment

^^^^^
          Water cakes...yessssssssss!
          I'm been living a lo carb life for some years now so white flour, at least, rarely shows up on my pantry shelves whether at home or camping.
          Have been having fun with nut and corn flours though.
          Jacques Pepin has a luverly recipe for Tibetan bread that's easy to make whilst camping:

http://www.eattoblog.com/2010/04/jac...tan-flatbread/

It's absolutely baking powder not soda he's using by the way
          Vewwy nice with herbs or aromatics added like garlic, scallions, rosemary, basil...whatever you've on hand or like.

Also Johnny cakes, either the RI or West Indian style, are nice with minimal ingredients.
          Last edited by NYCgrrl; 09-27-2013, 09:48 AM.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Another simple recipe is crepes
            Can use them sweet or savory

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
              Another simple recipe is crepes
              Can use them sweet or savory
              Yes, good thinking. You can make breakfast or lunch or dinner or dessert crepes AND it can be a one-pot meal (fry pan)

Comment

Working...
              X