Shore Lunch brand soups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore Lunch brand soups

Have you guys discovered the Shore Lunch brand soups yet?

Where have these things been all my life? They are fantastic.

They are dried, so you don't need to add anything. of course, you can add meats, etc to them to enhance.

They are delicious. 'nuff said

They are affordable. About $2.50 per pack that make a half gallon

They are fast and easy - add to boiling water and cook ten minutes.

There are a bunch of different varieties.

Cook up some noodles or rice and put these soups on top and you have a really easy, delicious fast camp meal that you can cook on your camp stove.

Re: Shore Lunch brand soups

I am going to have to check them out. Did you find them in your local grocer?

Comment

I haven't tried the Shore Lunch soups. But I really like Bear Creek soups, a similar deal, dried soup add water, and enjoy.
      www.MuttShopProducts.com
      http://www.facebook.com/MuttShopProducts
      https://twitter.com/MuttShop

Comment

just looked up nutrition label,
        700-1100 mg sodium per 8oz serving. yowzers,
        no thanks, i'll pass
        some of them are per 1/3 of a cup
        so for 1 cup of chicken noodle soup x3

this is for the chicken noodle
        Serving Size 0.33 cup (32.6 g)
        Servings Per Container 8
        Amount Per Serving
        Calories 110 Calories from Fat 15
        % Daily Value*
        Total Fat 1.5 g 2%
        Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
        Trans Fat 0 g
        Cholesterol 20 mg 7%
        Sodium 910 mg 38%
        Potassium — —
        Total Carbohydrate 21 g 7%
        Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%
        Sugars 2 g
        Protein 4 g

and for ingredients
        can decide for yourself
        Ingredients:
        Enriched Egg Noodles (Enriched Durum Wheat & Enriched Wheat Flour (Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Egg Yolk), Dehydrated Vegetables (Onion, Peas, Carrots, Celery, Corn, Parsley), Salt, Maltodextrin, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten And Soy Protein, the Following are Less than 2%: Chicken Broth, Dried Chicken Meat, Garlic Powder, Yeast Extract, Chicken Fat, Corn Starch, Guar Gum, Spices, Soy Flour, Nonfat Dry Milk, Natural Flavor, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Turmeric, Extractives of Turmeric, Sugar, Dipotassium Phosphate.
        Last edited by terasec; 06-24-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorSavvy85 View Post
          I am going to have to check them out. Did you find them in your local grocer?
          Yes, I got them at our local grocer here in Wisconsin.

Admittedly this is a well-stocked grocer that had all the flavors for Shore Lunch and all the flavors for Bear Creek and they had other brands of soups and rice dishes and pasta dishes.

I am really lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by ddrinik View Post
            I haven't tried the Shore Lunch soups. But I really like Bear Creek soups, a similar deal, dried soup add water, and enjoy.
            ddrinik, Yes, I tried the Bear Creek too. I didn't try the same kinds of soup, so I can't compare apples to apples yet, but so far, I think Shore Lunch is better. I tried the Bear Creek hot and sour soup and it was just so-so. I am hoping that the Bear Creek is good because it was on-sale at Woodmans and I bought twenty of them. YIKES!!

Comment

Terasec: Wow, I didn't notice the sodium or pay too much attention to the ingredients. Looks like about the same nutritionals as Doritos.

Anyway, they suit their purpose. When I camp, I don't stick too close to healthy. After all, dinner is likely to be complimented by S'mores.

Comment

I did read many ecstatic reviews of this product but yes was wondering about the sodium content. Never found it so am glad other posters were able to track em down. I can't do the salt thing anymore. Hypertension runs in my family and I see what it's doing to people I love who can't/won't pay attention on this level.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  ddrinik, Yes, I tried the Bear Creek too. I didn't try the same kinds of soup, so I can't compare apples to apples yet, but so far, I think Shore Lunch is better. I tried the Bear Creek hot and sour soup and it was just so-so. I am hoping that the Bear Creek is good because it was on-sale at Woodmans and I bought twenty of them. YIKES!!
                  20! Wow stocking up.

Cheddar Broccoli is the Bear Creek mix I like. Next time I'm at Woodman's (Sunday morning) I'll have to take a look at the Shore Lunch selection.
                  www.MuttShopProducts.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/MuttShopProducts
                  https://twitter.com/MuttShop

Comment

Haven't seent he "Shore Lunch" brand - might be a regional thing? Or my store just doesn't carry them. I too use the Bear Creek soups. Most often the chile, which really does need 'stuff' added to it.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Ugh, OK. Well, after trying about ten of the Bear Creek brand soups/stews (on sale and I went nuts getting them all to try), I can say that the Shore Lunch brands are probably better.

This is because the Shore Lunch stews are thicker and look more like the photo on the package. The Bear Creek taste was pretty good, but I had to add rice, noodles, and sometimes flour to thicken up the chowders.

Comment

Yep, I use the Bear Creek 'soups' to start with, then add meat, veggies and noodles or rice, as you do, to make a true meal. For instance, I'll begin with their 'chili' and add a couple cans of Hormel chili, some ground meat, a little chili powder and pepper...... then it tastes pretty good.

Still have yet to find the Shore Lunch brand locally.
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

"The AHA recommends that Americans consume no more than 1500 mg of sodium per day; federal guidance uses a cutoff of 2300 mg per day, except for certain subgroups that should aim for the 1500-mg target: people over 50, non-Hispanic blacks, and anyone with diagnosed hypertension, prehypertension, diabetes, congestive heart failure, or chronic kidney disease." Sticking to around a serving or so sounds fine, but of course who can stop at just one? :cool:
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I suppose all that salt is why it tastes good.

Most soups - even canned soups are pretty high in sodium except some of the Progresso low sodium soups which suck.

The alternative, of course, is to make your own soup, but... ah well.

Comment

Working...
                            X