First Night Meals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Night Meals?

I like to make a ritual of our first camping meal of the season. Makes everyone feel like the vacation has begun and if it's less work for the cook............that makes me happy.

On this end, some years it's a mufulletta sandwich: slices of various cold cuts + sliced cheeses that ends with an olive salad and a bottled giardino salad encased in bread.
    My version look much like this:

but it has more cold cuts and is sliced thinner when I do it.

This is the base recipe I use:

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/07/1...ndwich-recipe/

Other years I switch things around and make a chicken or tuna (or half chicken/half tuna)nicoise sandwich drenched with olive oil and swathed in layers of plastic wrap; holds for up to 3 days when stored in the cooler. As the days go by you can grill it; make it the base of a main course salad by cubing slices of it or make it the base of an egg frittata:

yield: Makes 2 sandwiches
    This tuna sandwich is all about olive oil. Use the French stuff if possible; otherwise, any mild olive oil will do—save that fancy super-Tuscan for something else. The tuna and the bread are crucial, too. Forget about tuna packed in water. It's flavorless. You want the kind packed in olive (not vegetable) oil. We thought ortiz's Bonito del Norte, newly exported from Spain, was the closest thing to Ni‧oise tuna, but it can be tough to find. (We ordered ours from Citarella; 212-874-0384.) Of the brands commonly available in the United States, we preferred Progresso light tuna. Other brands of canned light tuna that we are fond of are Genova and La Giara. This last is very expensive—about $10—and is available at many specialty foods shops and by mail order from Citarella.
    hide ›

Ingredients

• 1/4 of white onion, thinly sliced
    • 1/8 of a small red onion, thinly sliced
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
    • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, plus additional to taste
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
    • black pepper to taste
    • 1 6-ounce can tuna packed in olive oil (see above) including olive oil
    • lemon juice to taste

• 2 kaiser rolls, plain
    • lettuce leaves, combination of Boston, green-leaf, or other green leafy lettuce
    • 8 tomato slices
    • 6-8 hard-boiled eggs slices
    • 4 anchovy fillets, drained
    • Niçoise olives
    • scallions, chopped
    • radishes, sliced

print a shopping list for this recipe view wine pairings

Preparation

Combine the red and white onion with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and several grinds of black pepper in a bowl.
    Using your hands, mix and squeeze everything together for 5 minutes. (Don't rush through this part; the onions need time to release their juices and mellow.)
    Work in can of tuna in olive oil, including the oil. Season with fresh lemon juice, red-wine vinegar, and salt, then add pepper to taste.
    Cut kaiser rolls in half crosswise and spread each bottom half with lettuce leaves. Use a couple of varieties—whatever looks good—for the difference in texture.
    On top of each lettuce layer, arrange 4 tomato slices (skip this step if you don't have good—really good—tomatoes on hand). Then add about half the tuna mixture and 3 to 4 slices of hard-boiled egg.
    Crisscross each sandwich with 2 drained anchovy fillets and strew with Niçoise olives (pit them if desired), chopped scallion greens, and sliced radishes. Then drizzle generously with more olive oil and top with the remaining kaiser halves, pressing gently but firmly.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...#ixzz2X0OPgEvQ
    I don't bother making multiple sandwiches; a whole boule or ciabatti does fine for group eating up to 6 or 8 people. If you can find bread covered with sesame seeds it's that much more better.

Here's another technique for the same sammy that gives you more ideas:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Bagnat-109797

Easy enough to sub chicken for tuna. A layer of basil leaves is nice as well.

I like to remove part of the bread's interior after cutting it in half crosswise to ensure all the filling fits. After I soak the bread with EVOO and place the filling in, I wrap it in tons of plastic wrap, weigh it down and allow all the sandwich's fillings to mesh.Delish ish ish.

This year, I'm changing things around a bit since we'll prolly not get to the site until late in the day. We'll have an Asian soup with dumplings, veggies and thin noodles.

So what is your first night meal this year?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: First Night Meals?

Wow! WoW! WOW!!!

NYCgrrrl, will you come camping with my friends and me sometime? You can cook. We'll paddle for you.

Comment

I usually try to make the first night special with fresh meat since I am not big on bringing refrigeration. Roasted Chicken is a favorite if we have time. Another might be bratwurst.

Comment

Like mike, I don't refrigerate so like to cook up things that don't last long,
        I may pack a frozen steak, soaked in marinade, which is usually defrosted and ready by dinnertime,
        Redmeat tends to last longer than chicken, and the marinade helps extend that time

Comment

Oh my gosh...at this point in my existence(subject to change) I'm lovin' my coolers and the advantages they bring. Still, I can recall camping minus insulation and that was certainly fun from a footloose and fancy POV.
          Mike- but but I like paddling..it's just dish washing and breakfast prep I'm not remotely interested in.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We had a long standing tradition of grilling salmon on the first night. Grilling simple and tastes so good. The first time that we grilled salmon, I used wood since we forgot to bring charcoal. The last 2 camping trips, my wife made chicken adobe at home the night before and all we had to do was reheat the chicken and rice. We stopped taking the frozen salmon as soon as we found out that our frozen pacific salmon was packaged in China! We need to find another source for frozen wild caught salmon to bring on camping trips. The fish did not taste bad...but it seems like everything that we take on our camping trips is made in another country. I had to draw a line in the sand and insist on Caught in America Food.
            Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
            sigpic

Comment

@NYCity Girl, has anyone ever eaten the entire sandwich in one sitting? Looks so good!
              Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
                @NYCity Girl, has anyone ever eaten the entire sandwich in one sitting? Looks so good!
                Normally, I make a sandwich that size to feed 8-10 people in one sitting(great for Super Bowl parties too). Howevah I once observed 6 college students wolf down 2 of 'em with little time to breath....did I mention they were mostly boys? .
                2017:

Comment

The only first day meal that I normally cook are loaded baked potatoes on the grill. I precook all the ingredients and take them along. Other than that we will do simple things such as cold cuts, kielbasa, hot dogs and beans. It really depends who all goes along for the trip

Comment

Depends on kids or no kids! If we're camping alone, we do steaks and baked potatoes the first night. Quick, simple, easy cleanup.

With kids we either do pre-made ribs with a can of baked beans and some corn on the cob in foil on the coals (the ribs are the kind that are already cooked and in packaging and just need to be grilled about 5 minutes) or hot dogs/hamburgers with chips (I have one kid that hates hot dogs, one that hates burgers, and one that eats anything and everything).

Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                    Nights under the stars:
                    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

It kind of depends on your time. We realized that if we are loading up, driving to the site after getting of work, then it is just best to stop at subway. If I get home at 4pm, then spend a couple of hours getting out of the house, an hour drive, it is 7pm. Then a couple hours set up, so subway just makes it easier.
                      Nights camped in 2019: 24
                      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Something fresh and something good- like chicken with tomatoes, onions and mushrooms, bison roast with root vegetables, or beef and potatoes. Some red wine. A nice salad with feta cheese, olive oil, and mixed greens. Cobbler for dessert.

Another good one for camping is stacked enchiladas.

Comment

something for camping usually something quick and easy because your tired and just want to relax, well thats why we go camping

Comment

something quick and easy because you are usually tired or just want to relax, thats the reason why we go camping

Comment

Working...
                            X