Warning this Image is a little graphic. Pulled Possom Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning this Image is a little graphic. Pulled Possom Sandwich

This was a woodland possom we trapped. Meated him out into a pot and simmered with bbq sauce. It was great, you could not tell the difference between it and a pulled pork sandwich.
    Attached Files

Re: Warning this Image is a little graphic. Pulled Possom Sandwich

Originally posted by Mal the Wolf View Post
    This was a woodland possom we trapped. Meated him out into a pot and simmered with bbq sauce. It was great, you could not tell the difference between it and a pulled pork sandwich.
    I'll keep this in mind the next time I'm feeling adventurous culinarily wise: possum does not taste like chicken .
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

wow haha sounds like a fun adventure

Comment

Never knew there were possums in the USA. (Sorry, just had to say it before someone else.)

Comment

Originally posted by F5Moab View Post
          Never knew there were possums in the USA. (Sorry, just had to say it before someone else.)
          Don't worry, I don't think you beat anybody to that comment. You may be the only person I have heard of in the USA who did not know that we have opposum here.

Comment

I think it is difficult to kill a live trapped opposum because they are so docile and cute and fluffy. I can eat just about anything I shoot, but hand slaughter is something I have done, but never got used to.

If you have the stomach for it, here are some suggestions for slaughtering live-caught game that will enhance the quality and taste of the meat:

First, if you can keep the game alive and feed it plain boiled white rice or corn porridge for about three days, it will take a lot of the game taste out of the meat.

Second, when you slaughter, try to make the animal as calm as possible. You want to prevent the blood from flowing into the meat. If you can get the animal to drink a beer before slaughter, all the better,

Finally, slaughter by cutting the throat and letting the blood drain. The best way to do this is to cut the throat deep to cut the jugular, but do not decapitate. You want the heart to keep beating after cutting to get the blood to drain. This is why you do not want to decapitate.

Hang the animal by its legs to let the blood drain. This isn't difficult if you are used to slaughter, but for most folks, it is a quick way to turn them into vegans. When you do this, Hold the legs, pull the chin forward and cut. This works for rabbits and oppossum, but don't try this with a racoon or squirrel for obvious reasons.

Give the animal a good five minutes or so to bleed out, then peel off the skin and remove the internal organs.

Best to keep in a cooler at least overnight. "Fresh" meat is a misnomer and is not as good or as tender as meat that has been given a chance to relax.

Quarter and soak the meat in salt water.

Meat provided by this kind of slaughter process is much better than meat that still has blood in the muscles or animals that died from shock or distress from a gunshot wound. Not only will the meat have a cleaner pallette, but it will also last longer in the cooler.

Comment

If I fed 'em for three days they'd feel like a pet.....couldn't go through with the rest and they'd probably follow me home.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyous56 View Post
                If I fed 'em for three days they'd feel like a pet.....couldn't go through with the rest and they'd probably follow me home.
                Yup. That is the reality of it, but in the old days, guys actually did this. An old timer taught me how to catch oppossum with my bare hands. Nothing to it, really. He told me to feed it oatmeal or cornmeal for three days to clean out it's system and sweeten the meat, then slaughter it by hand. After two days of feeding it, i had to let it go. i couldn't do it. Some farmer I would make.

But I have slaughtered bigger animals like sheep and cattle and somehow that wasn't as bad. I have also hand slaughtered rabbits by the method I described earlier. So, I know it works well.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FreCat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	69794

Fluffy and adorable, it looks so GENTLE, don't you just want to pet it; to cuddle it up close to your face?
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4346[/ATTACH]

Fluffy and adorable, it looks so GENTLE, don't you just want to pet it; to cuddle it up close to your face?
                    Actually, we did have opossums for pets and they DO make very good pets. I prefer opossum over cats for pets. They ARE fluffy and cuddly an affectionate - more so than cats

When you catch an opossum in the wild, they make a threatening face and show their teeth, but you can pretty much just pick them up. They won't tear you up like a raccoon would.

Opossum are really pretty cute and good pets

Comment

I had a German Shepard who tangled with opossums - twice. How many stitches did it take?

I lost a few chickens to 'possums too. I have no love for them!
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                        I had a German Shepard who tangled with opossums - twice. How many stitches did it take?

I lost a few chickens to 'possums too. I have no love for them!
                        Yes, Oppossum will eat chickens and eggs and other birds too. They are also pretty good at getting rid of mice and rats (they eat baby mice and rats - best way to get rid of those pests once)

I think your dog getting bit by an oppossum is pretty out of character for oppossum unless your dog bit the animal. I am not saying it didn't happen. I am just saying that if you run up to a possum and don't harm it, you can actually just pick them up. I have done it many times. My dog chases them down and stands over them, but doesn't bite them. I just walk up and pick the live wild oppossums up with my hands. Of course, they always open their mouth and make a threatening face, but they just about pass out with fear and get almost catatonic when you pick them up.

The coloration of the black guard hairs against their white fur makes Oppossum look scruffy from far away, but up close they are really beautiful animals with fluffy fur. Their hands are almost human looking and they even have finger prints on their fingers.

Comment

When I was a kid our dog caught a possum and was trying to mother it. She always wanted pups poor thing. My sister freakeded out and said the dog caught and killed a rat. It was a young possum playing... possum. I carefully grabbed its tail which promptly curled around my index finger. I held it up just hanging off my finger and said, "look! It's still alive!" My sister shrieked at me to take it outside which I did. I laid it on the railing of our deck. When I checked 10 minutes later it was gone.

Comment

Working...
                          X