Que

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Que

What is BBQ to ya'll? To some, it's hotdogs and hamburgers, others it's steaks and potatoes. To me, it's low and slow Brisket, Ribs, homemade sausage and anything else I can throw on while the meat is on.

"It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Re: Que

To me, true BBQ is pork steaks, chicken, and ribs smothered in plenty of sweet bbq sauce!

Comment

low and slow for me,
      and gas is not an option,
      hardwood charcoal for me.

Comment

Brandon, I read your post and though you must be close to Kansas City...LOL. Sauce is mandatory there isn't it? I like the sauce but on the side, the one I make is a vinegar based with serrano peppers and molasses for sweetness.

terasec, low and slow here too. We have one resturaunt here that I tried the pork ribs and could actually taste the gas they cooked with. I like cooking with mesquite as it is plentifull here but prefer oak and pecan.
        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

West Texan, I am about 4hours from Kansas City--not too far. Lol. Out here, yes, sauce is just about mandatory. But, I think it would be interesting to try the sauce on the side, as well. After all, as I am sure you can see from my profile pic, I am not too picky when it comes to food. The sauce you make sounds really good.

Comment

My sauce is more of a standard type sauce for Texas. I get a kick out of the que from different areas. Texas que is more brisket and ribs with sauce on the side, Kansas the sauce is madatory, I think Georgia or Tennesse has their main sauce is a mayo based sauce. Being from Texas, I think ours is the best of course...LOL. I'll try it all though. There is a song on youtube about the different areas and their que, don't remember the name of it, but it was hilarious. I'll have to find that video this weekend.

Comment

Everyone so far likes a good que but recipes seem hard to come by so here's mine:

Note: Because the sauce contains sugar it burns easily, and should be brushed on for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking. Pass the rest at the table, WT you can have it on the side too!

Ingredients:
              2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
              1 onion, finely chopped.
              3 cloves garlic, minced.
              1 1/2 cups catsup (tomato sauce).
              1/2 cup cider vinegar.
              1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce.
              1/3 cup sugar. Or 100% Molasses is even better!
              1 tablespoon chili powder.
              1/2 teaspoon, more or less, cayenne pepper! I personally like more, but some may not!

Directions:
              Fire: Low & Slow, with hardwoods are best. Hardwood Charcoal is the best, but have also used oak, pecan. Never over natural gas heat, ruins the flavor!!!

Heat the oil in a saucepan over good heat and add the onion and garlic, stiring for 5 minutes. Add the catsup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne, and chili powder to taste (the more cayenne you use, the hotter it will be--duh)! Use indirect heating by moving your sauce pan off direct heat to the other side of the grill and simmer, partially covered until the sauce thickens(20-25 minutes). Makes about 2 1/2 cups. Pour into a glass jar saved from something else and pack with food to take camping. Or your backyard! Enjoy!
              Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-08-2013, 02:33 AM.
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Low and slow, all day cooking down here in sunny Florida. A thick rich sweet sauce, not too much 'kick'. I have a frind who does ths regularly for his church, holiday functions, and family get-togethers. The man is a Grill Meister, and built his own huge towed grill made in the form of a huge pig. For fun, especially when kids are around, he has a bunch of smaller grills made from the 20-pound propane tanks, set out as the big pig-grill's 'piglets'. He's a master welder and blacksmith too. Does a lot of welded metal 'folk art'.

At a custom & classic car show locally, we were treated to eating burgrs off a VW Bug converted to a large grill - engine compartment is the firebox. open the doors to access the meat racks. I think they are out of Georgia. The "Beetle Burgers" are pretty good.

Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Time for lunch! Thanks for posting awesome bbq pics! To me, BBQ is brisket, chicken legs/wings, ribs. Memphis and St. Louis have some great BBQ!

Comment

I've seen some crazy smokers but that beetle burger has got to be at the top of the list.

Reno, have you ever used turbinado suger? It is not supposed to burn like regular suger. Its what I use on brisket since it goes on at the start of the cook. I'll have to try that sauce. Sounds great.

Comment

WT, I haven't used Turbinado Sugar, seen it bit never tried it. Thanks for the tip, will have to give that a try soon!
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                        Low and slow, all day cooking down here in sunny Florida. A thick rich sweet sauce, not too much 'kick'. I have a frind who does ths regularly for his church, holiday functions, and family get-togethers. The man is a Grill Meister, and built his own huge towed grill made in the form of a huge pig. For fun, especially when kids are around, he has a bunch of smaller grills made from the 20-pound propane tanks, set out as the big pig-grill's 'piglets'. He's a master welder and blacksmith too. Does a lot of welded metal 'folk art'.

At a custom & classic car show locally, we were treated to eating burgrs off a VW Bug converted to a large grill - engine compartment is the firebox. open the doors to access the meat racks. I think they are out of Georgia. The "Beetle Burgers" are pretty good.

Is he a plumber as well?

Comment

BBQ is a state of mind and locale for me. When in Jamaica, I'm having jerk and in the best of all worlds, it's cooked over allspice wood/charcoal. Kentucky? Gonna seek out some 'qued mutton. It's all relative and all over the place. Gotta love it.
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

NYCgrrl, your screen name reminded me of a story my dad had told me way back. He worked for the state and they had an IT guy from New York come down to Austin Texas to work on their computers. Everyone took him out to eat and they took him to one of my all time favorite BBQ places. Anyway, I will never forget the question he asked.... "what animal does BBQ come from....?" As a kid in Texas, I thought that was funny. I had never really left Texas much and thought everyone knew about que. Even back then, I could've told ya which part of which animal each type of que came from. Sorry, got sidetracked down memory lane....

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                              WT, I haven't used Turbinado Sugar, seen it bit never tried it. Thanks for the tip, will have to give that a try

soon!
                              DO try it! I recall my grandfather using it on his breakfast cereal back when it wasn't common in this country. Whenever a family member would visit the "old country" (my roots are in the Caribbean) he would finance their trip and in return received gifts of hard to find here food stuff. On his journey to this country he worked in the sugar cane fields of Cuba and developed a dislike of the process by which white sugar was made. As a child, I found his story "exotic" yet not pertaining to my life. As an adult I try to use turbinado/"raw" sugar exclusively. Funny how life goes full circle.
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X