How do you keep your fresh food cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep your fresh food cold?

Do you use ice in a cooler or a refrigerated cooler or something else?:confused:

Re: How do you keep your fresh food cold?

36 qt Coleman 5 day cooler for us (though the ice averages 3 days for us...still, not bad).

Craig
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Interesting...sounds like the Coleman Xtremes have improved since we bought ours (many years ago, I believe it was when they first came out). Sounds like an upgrade may be in order... :D
      Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

HS, you are the man....your food storage system is way too high tech for me, but I applaud your ingenuity.

Comment

I think he meant to say, "So Few Pandas, So many recipes!".
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

By the way, don't overlook the fact that most food really does not need refrigeration for short periods of time. Living in the generation where refrigerators are often used unnecessarily as food storage pantries, we tend to think anything not in a can needs to be refrigerated.

Here are some foods that can last three days without refrigeration (at temps 75 degrees F or less):
            • Fresh eggs (better if never exposed to refrigertion, but even cold from the store are OK.
            • fresh fruit
            • fresh vegetables
            • whole muscle beef (not ground) rubbed in salt and marinated with vinegar or lemon juice or other acid based marinate
            • breads
            • high acid fruit juices
            • hard cheeses
            • Beer - yes BEER. Drink the good stuff and leave the washy light stuff at home. Traditionally beers were not refrigerated.
            • summer sausage
            • some bacons and other sausages cured with sodium nitrate, BHA, BHT or sodium benzoate (Yikes!, but yes)
            • shelf-stable milk (before opening) and canned evaporated milk
            • Kool Aid is better at room temperature than cola

Comment

If you would take and wash the cooler down with vingar real heavy get it good and wet (no water) then wad up some news papers and let them stay for several days the take and wash out the cooler with baking soda water, then rinse with clean water it get all the smell out most of the time hope it works for you.

Comment

For car camping I use a 7 day cooler with 80 lbs ice. In West Texas, it will stay cold for about 4-5 days if I keep it in the shade. For backpacking (and I have not tried this yet) I read that you can make a precooked meal (I am thinking one of my favorites - Beef tips in red wine and mushroom sauce) and freeze it in a ziplock bag. It should thaw out on the hike for your meal on the first night. In my neck of the woods, would really have to watch hiking times with the weather, if it is hitting 110 to 115 outside I might not try that.

WT
                "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

In warm weather coolers. Sometimes several of them. Enough to put an elk or an antelope in. In cooler weather keep things in the shade, in a stream, or in a snow bank.

Comment

i personally use an ice chest and we buy ice on the way up to the camp site and then we have another ice chest with ice and we replace it when it melts i dont know if you want to do that but thats how my family does it

Comment

Mini fridge in the TT is electric or propane. New Coleman Xtreme cooler gets maiden voyage this weekend.
                      - Laura
                      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

The Coleman Xtreme coolers are pretty amazing. I load mine up with frozen water bottles and bag ice. I intentionally leave it when I get home and there is still ice in the frozen water bottles five days later.

Comment

Originally posted by supremecampingstore.com View Post
                          Do you use ice in a cooler or a refrigerated cooler or something else?:confused:
                          Currently, I use 5 and 6 day coolers with ice. I start with frozen rectangular bottles of water that used to hold juice. I place 2 across the bottom of each cooler than place as many bottles standing upright as possible in each corner of the coolers. I surround the interior side walls of the cooler with gelpack lining (the kind you can cut off as needed. WM or KMart sells them). After I put the food in, I place small gel packs into crevices as needed. Finally, it's time to pour the ice cubes atop and I'm done. On site I place the coolers either in a tent or under a tree to keep the sun off. If I 'member to pack a fleece throw I place that atop the coolers to keep the cold in and sun heat off.
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                          X