What is your favorite Cooking Tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite Cooking Tool?

Aside from your stove, what is your favorite cooking tool?

Mine is my GSI pressure cooker. With it, I can cook dried pinto beans soft within about 40 minutes.

I can cook just about anything in a fraction of the normal time and with a lot less fuel.

I can even bake real cheesecake in my pressure cooker.

So, what is YOUR favorite cooking pot, pan, tool, etc.?
    Attached Files

Re: What is your favorite Cooking Tool?

Originally posted by HogSnapper
    My favorite would have to be my 10" cast iron oven. I have the "deep" model. I really like the idea of the pressure cooker though. I'm not sure I'd get $60 of use out of it and I use fire which would be hard to keep constant for the pressure cooker, but I really like the idea.
    I know what you mean about cast iron ANYTHING. It is hard not to fall in love with it - especially for camping.

As for pressure cookers, here is a little secret: KMart/Sears has the same pressure cooker as the GSI, but without the special coating. I think it runs for around $25.00 for a three quart model - which is about right for most campers.

Comment

If 'favorite' is what I always have and use most often, it's my GI surplus stainless steel canteen cup - my camp meals are generally very simple. I usually am camping by motorcycle - no room for fancy and heavy cook pots or cast iron......
      And I always have my GI canteens with steel cup along for the ride. Add in a good spork, and I'm ready!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Is it too late to change my vote to the classic GI entrenching tool......? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
          Is it too late to change my vote to the classic GI entrenching tool......? :D

whoa ya. Consider your vote changed, Bigdog. What are those; ostrich eggs?

Comment

First favorite cooking tool is a campfire... if one is allowed. Next would be a cast iron skillet big enough to cook the bacon and eggs at the same time.

Bigdog... those are used only for trenches, right...not catholes...LOL.
            "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

"Multi-use', Tex! There's a humorous website video that shows a Chinese Army unit making use of this tool for about a dozen different things, this pic with the eggs frying I found elsewhere. It's just so funny, I had to save it!
              I use a small garden trowel for my catholes......
              I have warmed ready-to-eat meals on my bike's exaust pipe, upon arrival in camp, though.......

Comment

I've heard stories here in the oil patch about guys putting their breakfast in tin foil on their engine block in winter on the drive to the lease. When they get there, breakfast is ready. I've seen the greasers they wear so I'm sure they prolly taste oil with everything, so a little SAE 30 ain't gonna ruin breakfast....
                "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Large grill with folding legs.

It lets me cook everything over the fire. Others that come in second are a small shovel with a long handle for moving coals, and a bellows. I should takes pics of all this. pitty.

-J

Comment

Working...
                  X