Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banana Boats - An alternative to smores, and better even!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banana Boats - An alternative to smores, and better even!

So, husband and I are recently vegan. I've been a vegetarian more than 20 years (eh, pescatarian). He was a vegan in his twenties - we are 39/40 now. We started vegan for healthy and medical reasons although it jives with us both ethically. ANYWAY...

If you can't stand marshmallows or read the ingredients and wonder what the??!! Or you are like my husband who is convinced that the way marshmallows burn is too fuel-like, you are in for a treat.
    1. Put a slice down the length of a banana but not all the way through
    2. Stuff chocolate chips, dark chocolate, anything chocolate in there. We used 70% dark chocolate broken up
    3. Wrap in foil
    4. Throw on grate/campfire for 10 or so minutes
    5. Carefully unwrap, peel just enough so you can spoon out what is now hot roasted banana chocolate goodness.

Next trip (in 3 weeks) we'll be doing these with some new stuff to try: add peanut butter or some maple syrup. So many choices and oh so good.

Re: Banana Boats - An alternative to smores, and better even!

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Most marshmallows are made with corn syrup. I never really like them. Dark chocolate and fire roasted bananas!
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Comment

the peanut butter sounds awesome in there, but instead of maple syrup i would use honey (just a personal preference )...there's also something you can do with oranges. if memory serves me correctly, you cut the tip of the orange off, scoop out the orange, fill with cake batter, replace orange tip, and wrap in tinfoil and cook until done. we had those at our fall campout back in october and they were pretty darn good. at the spring camp this year we did the banana as you speak of with homemade caramel...talk about yummy . great post by the way!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Hope you enjoy them. I can assure you that when my husband and I are in Sequoia from the 22-27th, we'll be bringing at least 5 bananas along - though at 19 cents each at Trader Joe's, I'm thinking of bringing a dozen since they're great for breakfast, trail snacks and dessert too!

Comment

Working...
        X