Ruh Roooooooo....Freezer Failure @ 28 Days minus 2 Week Camp out Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruh Roooooooo....Freezer Failure @ 28 Days minus 2 Week Camp out Trip

Alright. I will start by saying I've reached the point in my existence that glamping better defines what I do anddd I've no regrets or 'scuses for it :D.

I grab up my granddaughter (AKA the Princess) and a 12 y/o niece (AKA Sweetie Pie) and off we go for a 14 day trip of catching tadpoles and baby crabs (Noonie let's 'em go every night and has no prob explaining they were lonely for their families,LOL), beach life, hikes and eating food that's been Weberized more often than not.

Ahhhhh but when traveling w/ lil grrlies, my life changes. It's not about what "foodies" want to eat (I admit to camping with Jacques Pepin's "Fast Food, My Way by my side and executing 3-4 course meals complete with cocktails on site) it's all about what grrlies WILL eat. So sure they get hotdogs and burgers ( burger meat ground at home via my Cuisinart, thank U very much) but they also get baked ziti and lasagne Bolognese. Breakfast burritos, Noonie's custom ground sausage patties; homemade cranberry-orange muffins, various forms of chili, homemade veggie based soups and the occasional Chinese and Indian meals to keep those food horizons ever expanding. I accomplish much of this by utilising my freezer for soup bases, stocks, freeze ahead main dishes and of late, tons of pre-made breakfast items. I'll let youse in on a secret: I despise eating and cooking in the morn. Gimme a cuppa hot liquid, don't talk unless it's Gruntese (what I'm quite fluent in before 10:30 AM) and I'll respond in kind. Fortunately my SO feels the same way as me about morning meals and I suppose I'm now set in my ways nicely .

Oh but back to those grrlies: they want me to heat up the grill/Coleman/firepit and give em some grub every start of the day...........sigh. Now I could throw out those mini boxes of cereal daily and say have at it but the doter, I've become sez that's not right. This is nooooooo offense to those hard working parents of today who think "Well, why not? My time is important and and I'm still a good parent fer nuking/run by Micky D's, open up a packet of instant oatmeal!!". Of course you are and as for me, BTDT yet I've attained a new level in my life that doesn't include trying to figure out how to remove PlayDoh and chewing gum from hair ( vegetable oil or scissors as a final resort) whilst simultaneously filling out a permission slip conveniently forgotten until the day of.

So what is a grandmother to do when she knows it's all on her to provide a start of the day for kiddies?

This one scours the internet for the best make ahead French toast technique, remembers that if Eggo can pre freeze waffles and pancakes, so can she anddddddd that camping pie irons R her friend!

So.

I whipped up a batch of freezable breakfast goodies ga-run-teed to fit in pie irons and chuckled to self that all needed from me was the ability to start a morning fire.

Errrrrrrrr but I wasn't counting on the chest freezer's plug falling out of the socket....:eek:

Acch che machie.... the sheer waste has me in ShudderLand.

Forget the doughnuts. It's time to make more breakfast burritos.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Ruh Roooooooo....Freezer Failure @ 28 Days minus 2 Week Camp out Trip

So you encountered a problem while glampin recently and you survived through it! Pleased as punch for thee! Just make sure the plug doesn't fall out the next time, or purchase a new camping freezer. lol!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: Ruh Roooooooo....Freezer Failure @ 28 Days minus 2 Week Camp out Trip

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
      So you encountered a problem while glampin recently and you survived through it! Pleased as punch for thee! Just make sure the plug doesn't fall out the next time, or purchase a new camping freezer. lol!
      Fortunately, this was just prep for the trip; haven't made it out to the campground yet.

Remade 4 days worth of breakfast eats ( burritos) and 4 days worth of banana pancakes and oatmeal in the "needs heat" corner. After that they get fresh fruit and/or yougurt with the occasional box of cereal.

Haven't remade any mains or lunches yet and as time goes by cold cut sammies are getting to be a better idea for lunches:p.

A fer that freezer, it's in my home ( a camping freezer?!....dang don't make me think that hard,LOL!) and much too close to the plug in for the vacuum cleaner. A move of furniture is in my future come late August.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
      X