Portable Ovens Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Ovens Recommendations?

We didn't get an oven in the TT. Any recommendations on some sort of portable oven, doesn't have to be very big, its just the two of us? Thank you in advance.
    DO NOT be found in a camping tents while being out. Just walk,run,fly in the hug of nature.:D

Re: Portable Ovens Recommendations?

A buddy's wife was talking about a combo oven/range she saw at Costco. Don't have any further details at this point, but I think I'll see it next week.

Comment

I saw that Coleman stove/oven at Costco and was immediately smitten! Luckily (or unluckily) it's too big to fit in my hatchback! I did notice a new steel-belted Igloo cooler there yesterday for $100, looks almost indestructible although pricey. That oven might have been this one:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
        A cast iron dutch oven will last a lifetime and with a little practice will make the best baked goods you've ever eaten. You can turn a dutch oven into a true oven by using a trivet, like in this picture, or just use a few rocks in the bottom of your oven and place your pie tin or casserole dish on top of that. Many baked items, like cobblers and breads can be cooked directly in the dutch oven without a trivet.
        Thanks Hogsnapper.....I was discussing this issue with some re-enactors about the use a trivet.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanks for all the professional advices and recommendations. Although I could google for much info. and reviews, I prefer to hear from you.
          DO NOT be found in a camping tents while being out. Just walk,run,fly in the hug of nature.:D

Comment

I agree with the dutch oven idea make sure to get a camp dutch oven as opposed to a home dutch oven. The camp dutch over has a rim around the lid to hold the coals on the top without sliding off.

Comment

I will admit that there are times in my existence that I wish my vintage Coleman white gas stove would diediedie so I could justify buying the new oven/ stove combo or even the Chef Camper combo but but noooo.....no replacement until a natural (and permanent) death occurs. I will admit to having the foldable classic Coleman oven but errr have never used it. I have used a 12" or 14" CI skillet w/ lid for baking cobblers/grunts, etc (FUN and tasty!). For my longest trip of the season complete with kiddos , I find it simplest to bake, freeze and FoodSaver at home and simply use the skillet to reheat for the most part.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

An outdoor Dutch Oven with 3 legs and a ridge on the lid, or an aluminum reflector oven.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camp...=portable+oven like post 3 said.. i think its the best one i bought this one for my family 3 months ago and love it.. breakfast in the mornign we use the burners and at night use the oven

Comment

The Coleman oven is "OK". It is really designed for cooking on a Coleman gas stove. It is fussy and in windy or cold conditions, does not bake evenly

Dutch ovens bake on hot coals but not well on gas stoves

So you will want to choose your oven by fuel type

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      The Coleman oven is "OK". It is really designed for cooking on a Coleman gas stove. It is fussy and in windy or cold conditions, does not bake evenly

Dutch ovens bake on hot coals but not well on gas stoves

So you will want to choose your oven by fuel type
                      OK in what sense? Uneven heat a prob? I just booked a trip for next weekend and am thinking of taking the oven and 2 mini casserole dishes to make Catalan flan which is one of my favvvvvvvv desserts. I realise i can make the dish on a grill/over wood charcoal but exploring is fun .
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        OK in what sense? Uneven heat a prob?
                        The Coleman ovens are notoriously difficult when it comes to regulating the temperature. I know when I used to use mine, it was a matter of constantly adjusting the flame as well as opening and closing the door on the oven. In the end, I was still getting burnt food. All in all, too much work for poor results.

Comment

Agreed about the Coleman portable ovens. They are a novelty, but testy especially if there is any wind

There are propane camping stoves that seem to do better

I would find a way to use cast iron

Comment

Thank youse for the honest assessment. I'm going to take the oven with me just for the experience of trying it out before selling it this winter via Craig's List:D.

I should point out that I've a beauteous battery operated temperature gauge-probe that I use on my home oven to calibrate it as well as figure out internal food temps BUT I don't really feel like taking it camping every time I go camping.

Years back my very first apartment had a 1920's vintage stove with no temperature gauge on the oven. Made for a hysterical Thanksgiving.
                            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 09-29-2013, 10:38 AM.
                            2017:

Comment

Anyone ever use an Outback Oven? In a pinch the exhaust manifold of the truck works, or two pie plates with low heat, some aluminum foil and some twigs.

Comment

Working...
                              X