Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coffee Maker

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
    Betcha he'll be runnin to the john quicker than you can say camping forums. My better half who by the way is a good deal younger than I, decided to go the Decalf way also. So now she always gets up before me, she'll make hers in her own coffee pot and she then makes me an Americano in the espresso machine with an extra shot of regular and wakes me up with it! She takes care of me while I feebly try to take care of her! When I get into the kitchen she already has my coffee pot brewing with regular "Lost Coffee." Lost Coffee is a brand name for a company that is co-owned by JohnJohn out of Castle Rock, CO. But when camping she'll sleep in and now I make her french press decalf, get the bacon, taters going...then make my french press regular with a shot of JD ...then gently wake her with her decalf. I just love how she brings me coffee at home but I really wish I was camping instead!
    He just switched to decaf on Monday. And he's crankier than his morn norm. I'll let youse know if he notices the switch to come mid July. Were I a betting woman I'd say no . Time will do the telling.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post

BTW: I few years ago right here on this channel there was a big discussion of which was better french press, perked, or drip along with hand grinding whole beans for buying Maxwell House or Folgers? One Campateer who called french press "foo foo" coffee and those kind of individual that use them were queers. He becamed overwhelmed by the number of French Press users. Haven't seen him in years.
      I am with the French press crowd. I like the taste of coffee with a little body or sediment in it. The Finnum is the best alternative to French press because you can make it in your cup and then pull out the grounds to drink it. I have seen a few people drinking out of travel presses. The grounds stay in the coffee until you finished drinking. Too much sediment for me.
      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

I used a french press last year, brought along my own home roasted and ground beans, great cup of coffee. Worked better than my "real" coffee maker at home actually. However, this year I've been focusing on packing smaller and lighter (even though we're car campers) and reducing prep/clean up tasks. Tried some Starbuck Via and was very surprised by how good it was. And not only by instant coffee standards, it's a legitimate quality cup of coffee. Now, that said, it's extremely expensive ( >$1 per pack if you buy it retail :eek: ) which is a bit of hurdle for me. However, it can be found online for ~50¢ a pack. But even at that price it's not for every day drinking, just camping.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          He just switched to decaf on Monday. And he's crankier than his morn norm. I'll let youse know if he notices the switch to come mid July. Were I a betting woman I'd say no . Time will do the telling.
          I have been doing decaf for more than a year now - I never noticed any problems with the lack of caffein. I do still have the occasional cup of 'the real stuff' at my Mom's place, and I don't tell any difference. Modern decaf tastes like any other regular canned coffee.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The subject of coffee always generates lots of pages of comments. I am thinking about going into the coffee equipment business, because the demand seems to definitely be there.

Comment

Don't drink it but love the smell.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Anyone dissatisfied with their French Press is hereby instructed to mail them to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rose View Post
                  I'm thinking about getting this. Anyone tried one before?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59949...ductId=1000503
                  Rose,

I know this is an old question, but although I have not used that particular one, I have used one built like it (and use it at home when I just want one cup of coffee). It works great! Just have to get the water hot and pour it over the grounds.

However, I still tend to use the old blue enamel percolator on either the Coleman or the Svea, depending on how nostalgic I want to be. ;-)

Comment

I do not have the Java Drip, but I do have the Java Press version. It is a great French Press that is very well built. I actually like it better than my press at home. Just as important as the brewing is the beans. Freshly ground beans make the best coffee. I just bought this sweet little Porlex hand grinder. It is Japanese built, very good quality. Ceramic burrs that are easy to adjust and makes a great grind. They are a bit on the pricey side, but it's really slick. Plus it just so happens that a full hopper of beans is just the right amount for the press. So I just fill it with beans, grind it up (takes about 1.5 minutes) and dump it in the press. Great cup of camping Joe.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-S...coffee+grinder

Here's a pic.

Comment

I've been using a GSI Java Drip, but it dawned on me that I really don't need to carry the separate container. Now, I use a GSI collapsing filter cone and brew directly into my 16 ounce Nissan Thermos coffee bottles that will keep coffee hot for six hours or so. These coffee bottles have locking tops, so they are completely spill proof, even bouncing around in back pack. I ordered them the last time I stopped at Dunkin Donuts first thing in the morning driving to mountains for a hike and dumped an entire 16 ounce cup of coffee reaching to put it in the console of my car. Arghhhh.

Before I leave home, I grind 24 grams of beans (enough for 16 ounces of hot water) into melita filters and fold them up into a packet. Unfold the packet into the filter cone, put it on the thermos, and pour the water over it. For a second thermos, use another folded filter packet.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                        I've been using a GSI Java Drip, but it dawned on me that I really don't need to carry the separate container. Now, I use a GSI collapsing filter cone and brew directly into my 16 ounce Nissan Thermos coffee bottles that will keep coffee hot for six hours or so. These coffee bottles have locking tops, so they are completely spill proof, even bouncing around in back pack. I ordered them the last time I stopped at Dunkin Donuts first thing in the morning driving to mountains for a hike and dumped an entire 16 ounce cup of coffee reaching to put it in the console of my car. Arghhhh.

Before I leave home, I grind 24 grams of beans (enough for 16 ounces of hot water) into melita filters and fold them up into a packet. Unfold the packet into the filter cone, put it on the thermos, and pour the water over it. For a second thermos, use another folded filter packet.

A very neat idea!
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

$14.00 Walmart stainless steel percolator pot over the campfire or propane stove. One of my camping buddies brings his 800 watt electric coffee maker and plugs it into my solar power unit.

Comment

I'm not a coffee guy but bringing you electric coffee maker camping just seems wrong.
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                              I'm not a coffee guy but bringing you electric coffee maker camping just seems wrong.
                              I don't know why, but that just reminded me that I have a 12 volt coffee maker stashed away that, for some reason, I never bothered to try. Think it's going out next trip

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                                I don't know why, but that just reminded me that I have a 12 volt coffee maker stashed away that, for some reason, I never bothered to try. Think it's going out next trip
                                hahaha
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X