Coffee Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coffee Maker

After trying a number of systems, I've settled on using a french press + kelly kettle and pre-ground beans (I know the ideal is to grind them beforehand, but strategic concessions of comfort are the name of the game) I started out using a cheap french press (probably less than $15) that's been in use for a couple of years - might replace it with something hardier when it goes south.

Comment

I also use the Finum Brewing Basket like marklee. Less than 10 dollars. Very versatile item because I love both tea and coffee. However for coffee I'm not as picky (altho I do enjoy a great cup of joe), so I bring Starbucks VIA packets instead for my coffee fix, which to me is the most decent tasting instant coffee I've ever tasted.

Comment

Googling jet boil and Finum Brewing Basket now. One of us drinks coffee and the other tea so that always adds on to my general morning discontent .
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

OK so I checked into JetBoil and the Finum Basket Basket. Both seem like fast systems yet err they still don't meet my criteria that basically is a butler suddenly appears and and there's hot water! Tea! Coffee!:D.
          The JetBoil will require buying a new fuel ( I currently use white gasoline and charcoal) and the FBB wants me to still light the Coleman.
          So I'll stick to the French press and try not to think longingly of the morning walk to Dunkin Donuts.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I go a cheaper route then paying a $100 for a Jet boil to heat water for coffee
            Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              OK so I checked into JetBoil and the Finum Basket Basket. Both seem like fast systems yet err they still don't meet my criteria that basically is a butler suddenly appears and and there's hot water! Tea! Coffee!:D.
              The JetBoil will require buying a new fuel ( I currently use white gasoline and charcoal) and the FBB wants me to still light the Coleman.
              So I'll stick to the French press and try not to think longingly of the morning walk to Dunkin Donuts.
              Well, it IS called "camping"..... gotta rough it a little bit.... ;-)
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Wish me well and hope I don't succumb into primo lazy mode. Pulled out my FoodSaver and vacuum packed some burr ground coffee for the French press last weekend. Threw it into the freezer (which is filled to the rim but not the Folgar's variety). Decided to "sacrifice" and have all adults drink coffee with none of that chi chi chai moments only to find that SO has decided to switch to decaf.
                Well.
                If I have to give up my tea for java then he's just gonna be wired for sound for the duration. Not going to tell him he's drinking caffeinated beans and I'll just see how the placebo effect work in real life.
                2017:

Comment

Betcha he'll be runnin to the john quicker than you can say camping forums. My better half who by the way is a good deal younger than I, decided to go the Decalf way also. So now she always gets up before me, she'll make hers in her own coffee pot and she then makes me an Americano in the espresso machine with an extra shot of regular and wakes me up with it! She takes care of me while I feebly try to take care of her! When I get into the kitchen she already has my coffee pot brewing with regular "Lost Coffee." Lost Coffee is a brand name for a company that is co-owned by JohnJohn out of Castle Rock, CO. But when camping she'll sleep in and now I make her french press decalf, get the bacon, taters going...then make my french press regular with a shot of JD ...then gently wake her with her decalf. I just love how she brings me coffee at home but I really wish I was camping instead!
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I'm thinking about getting this. Anyone tried one before?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59949...ductId=1000503

Comment

Good to know. I have considered the french press as well. Thanks

Comment

Is the Finnum Basket Basket the same thing as the Finnum Tea Infuser? I use the Finnum Tea Infuser to brew French Press right my stainless steel cup. Still have to fire up a stove to heat up the water. No way around that.
                        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TNONMYMIND View Post
                          MARKKEE: is the filter you show in your reply, big enough to make a pot full of coffee or is a single serve size only?
                          Single serving only.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey markkee happy to that you're still with us! My wife drinks plenty of tea when camping, she prefers it over anything that isn't 100% Starbucks Dark Roast whole beans(I'm her hand-grinder just lookin for a monkey). Excuse me I got off track. Once you use the Finnum Brewing Basket, you'll never go back to the tea infuser balls. The basket doesn't limit the amount of loose leaf you can use like the balls do, and you won't find small bits of leaf in the bottom of your cup either. The lid helps to hold in heat, and acts as a coaster for the basket when you lift it from your cup. The basket is easy to clean under running water.

Comment

Hey Desert Fox,

I have been using a small Finnum Tea Infuser Basket for the past year. I use it for both tea and coffee. I add a lot of leaves for making tea too.
                              sigpic

Comment

I guess I was trying to sell you the brewing basket, sorry! But the basket & infuser Balls are not the same thing. My wife prefers the Brewing Basket. Reckon that was easy to figure out. If you're happy with infuser balls, why try to fix it! For me I prefer coffee(black & hot) by the french press method or European style espresso, maybe a shot of bourbon once in awhile. Hot tea with sushi once in awhile but that's it for me!

BTW: I few years ago right here on this channel there was a big discussion of which was better french press, perked, or drip along with hand grinding whole beans for buying Maxwell House or Folgers? One Campateer who called french press "foo foo" coffee and those kind of individual that use them were queers. He becamed overwhelmed by the number of French Press users. Haven't seen him in years.
                                Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X