Cooking Tip: Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Tip: Eggs

Test eggs for freshness: stale eggs float; fresh eggs sink!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Cooking Tip: Eggs

I like noodles mixed with eggs, some bacon and cheese (if you want). Just let the water boil, drop your noodles in it and let them cook for about 6-8 min. (depends on which kind of noodles). Then remove the water and add 2 or 3 unboiled eggs. Mix it, add some bacon and cheese and mix it again. Then: you're fine!

Comment

Does anyone have a tip on how to cook poached eggs? Eggs benedict are my favorite. My friend made some during our last camping trip. I got the Hollandaise sauce part figured out. The only problem I got is trying to find a way how to cook the eggs. The closest I get is egg soup. :(

Comment

Just boil some water in a pan then pull it off the fire, put your egg in and spoon the hot water over the top until done. If you keep it over the fire as the bubbles from boiling roll up and can break up your egg and make egg soup.

Comment

Poaching is all about holding a constant temperature. You would need a heat source with very fine temperature control and a thermometer for constant monitoring. I may be a bit anal about this, but I have a culinary degree :P
          Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Originally posted by immortal_ben View Post
            I may be a bit anal
            You said it my friend
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

All I am going to say is it can be done. I have three degrees and trade school under my belt but will only shoot that out to you immortal_ben due to how anal I get when people try to through degrees around thinking they know more than anyone else. fine temp control LOL we don't live in a lab.

Comment

Where did I say that poaching an egg while camping could not be done? Seriously, people.

All I did was point out what it takes to poach something and you try to flame me? Can you point out anything I said that is incorrect? No, you cannot.

Stop trolling on our friendly forum, Nickadeamus. Do your three degrees and trade school directly correlate to the subject at hand? Mine does. If yours do not, then it would seem that you have fallen into the Fallacy of the Unqualified Authority.

Also, I think you meant "when people try to THROW degrees around"... perhaps you should proofread your posts before you try to assert your supreme intelligence, bub. Did they not teach you that in all your years in school, or did you just fail to learn that part?

There is such a thing as fine temp control when dealing with campfire cooking. It is not my fault that you do not know about all of the great camping stoves out there with well engineered temperature controls.
                Last edited by immortal_ben; 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM.

Life is a verb.

Comment

http://youtu.be/BegkGl1kk1g

See anyone can...even over a campfire!

Let everyone simmer down....this is just a forum not a soapbox!
                  Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM.
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Ben,
                    I hope you know I was yanking your chain. Sorry if I made you mad.
                    "The Banned One"
                    Shawn Bebout
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Yes science. Cooking in a way is part of science. I also think it was the how you said what you did. And if I took that in the wrong way don’t you think I find you trolling.

I took it in a way that you where saying I was wrong. When I know I am not. If this is not what you were saying then yes I would be in the wrong for my post. But I have been making pouched eggs for 35 years and know how to cook an egg. I also think this is a dumb thing to fight over so I am backing off of any attacks that was made or will be made on this subject.

I never would say anything about a subject that I know nothing about.

Comment

Nope, if I had wanted to say you were wrong, I would have come out and said it. Again, I never said the poaching could not be done, just stating what poaching entailed.

It would seem that there was a massive misreading of intent/meaning in both of our parts.

Therefore, I apologize for my part in the misunderstanding.

Life is a verb.

Comment

I also apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Brew View Post
                            I like noodles mixed with eggs, some bacon and cheese (if you want). Just let the water boil, drop your noodles in it and let them cook for about 6-8 min. (depends on which kind of noodles). Then remove the water and add 2 or 3 unboiled eggs. Mix it, add some bacon and cheese and mix it again. Then: you're fine!
                            That's my favorite for breakfast.....Yummy.
                            I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

I used to make fun of my dad for introducing this method to me but the best method for making eggs with minimal equipment is what I like to call the egg log. You take your eggs and crack them into a zip lock bag and mush them up, place all of the zip lock bags into a pot of boiling water with the zip part outside of the water. The eggs will sit in the bottom of the bag and cook, forming an egg log. When the eggs are about 3/4 the way done, take them out of the water and mush them again, leave them in the water until they are completely solid and voila!

It works best if you add in onion/peppers and then put the log in a tortilla with cheese on top to make a breakfast taco.
                              ~Native Texan Camper, Currently in Miami~
                              usbmemorydirect.com

Comment

Working...
                              X