Calling all aluminum foil cooking recipies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all aluminum foil cooking recipies

Looking for anything I can cook in or on aluminum foil.......over this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grill.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	72438

I really don't want to buy too much gear at this is our first time camping and we aren't sure we're going to love it. So, for now...this is what I have to work with. Simple stuff is great anyway, right?

Re: Calling all aluminum foil cooking recipies

I know what that is: it's what passes for a fire pit/grill combo at some of the Taxachusetts state parks.

You are going to find those difficult to cook on. When we were at Pearl Hill last year we came up with a method which was to make a layer or two of logs (do not light them) and then we could dump hot coals from our coal starter on top of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weber Chimney Starter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	69338

Just using burning logs/wood made too much in the way of flames and it was too hard to control -- any type of breeze had the heat and flames going every which way. Taking logs away made the temp so low that the food wouldn't cook and the breeze was a factor here as well.

And just using coals directly on the ground underneath, the coals were too far away and the wind would just blow the heat everywhere but up under your food.

So we found that by using hot coals on top of un-lit logs to be the best for grilling/cooking. By the time your food is finished, the logs will catch fire from the coals and you'll have a nice fire for the evening.

Usually when we first arrive, my husband starts a nice roaring fire in those and uses a grill brush to clean it. Figures that the intense heat and scrubbing sanitizes it.

We also bring an ax so that any deadwood found on the ground can be chopped up for firewood. Since most of MA is under a Asian Longhorn Beetle watch, you are not allowed to bring any firewood in and must purchase your wood from the park. It is very expensive at $5.00 a bag -- we can burn though a couple a bags a night as there is not a lot of wood in them at all. Some of the parks actually stack wood at your site for burning, but many don't.

So I would suggest you bring in charcoal briquets. If you don't like the cheap kind, you can get fancy hardwood types at the fancy grill stores. And one of those chimneys is indispensable as lighter fluid tastes and smells yucky. (I have yet to meet anyone that uses the stuff correctly so that you don't get that smell and taste on your food.) :p
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Thank you for your input surmisez. I saw that and thought...huh? As it turns out my father has a charcoal grill that I can kidnap for the trip. Still need some easy/simple cooking tips, tho. *sigh* never cooked on a grill before...guess I need to start.

Comment

Cooking on a grill is a lot easier than you think. It's easier than cooking on an electric stovetop and quicker too.

Invest in a cheap digital meat thermometer (think Walmart or Target). If you don't want to blacken your everyday pans, pick up a cheap fry pan and sauce pan at the same time.

When you put coals in the grill, try to place most of them to one side, with a single layer on the other side. The side with the multi layers of coals will be your high heat side and the single layer will be the low heat side.

When you start cooking your meat, start on the high heat side (multi-layered) to sear your meat on both sides, then move it to the low heat side (single layer) to finish cooking.

If you're cooking side dishes, use the high heat side to get your food up to high/med high/medium and slide the pan to where you find the correct simmer.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. I would suggest two sets of long BBQ tongs: one for moving coals around, the other for touching your food.

And if you're real sensitive to heat, you might want to pick up a fireplace glove to wear. I'm a wimp when it comes to the heat coming off the grill and will wear a heavy fireplace glove if I've got to be near it for awhile. :o

Since you're not camping until August, I'd borrow the grill now and practice. Better to practice now while you've got a backup of a working kitchen. Also, you might want to check out yard sales for a used camp stove to take with you.
        "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
        ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Our staple meal for our first night is always our kielbasa skillet, i suppose you could call it. Take all items mentioned below and wrap in 2 tin foil logs. Cook until veggies are tender and just open the logs and dig in.

Items:
          kielbasa sausage (fully cooked) sliced
          1 can mixed veggies
          1 can new sliced potatos
          season to taste

Very easy cleanup and filling.

Next time I think I will prep it all at home and store in a ziplock bag for less waste on site.

Cheers!
          Dren

Comment

Thanks for the tips...I need em'. I can't tell you how excited I am for this. =) I wish we were going sooner but, good things to those who wait...and figure out what they are doing first. lol

Comment

lasagna in those aluminum trays. I buy it made in the store, pre-cooked. I just have to reaheat it.

I know I am so lazy. but everyone is happy.

-JT

Comment

We wrap salmon fillets in foil with just a little salt and cook on the grill. We served it to a group we camped with and it was a winner

Comment

Here are several links for foil packet/hobo meals:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ocean-packets/detail.aspx

http://beingmrspierce.wordpress.com/...new-recipe-12/

As far as the ratatouille, you can substitute with abandon. Can't find fire roasted tomatoes? Use same amt of whole peeled tomatoes, squished with your hands. A sprinkling (about 1 tsp) of herbs de Provence can be added instead of basil or in conjunction. Place a cut up chicken breast atop the veggies and you've a a complete meal.

Here's a group of possibilities and if you don't use processed food products it's easy enough to switch out some of the ingredients:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/...ckdinners.aspx

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/0...acket-recipes/

Easy removal of the contents of a hobo packet after cooking? Spread or spray oil on the the dull side of the foil before adding food.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Easy Potatoes and onions:

-Cut 2-4 potatoes into 1.25" pieces, cut up 1 onion, place in a foil packet about 6"x8".
                    -add 2 table spoons of butter or margarine, and some steak spice, salt and pepper.
                    -Fold and roll the packet up into 4-5 layers or foil.
                    -Place on grill(above hot coals), flip and rotate the packet every 5mins for 25-30mins.
                    -Remove from grill, Let it stand for 5 mins.
                    -cut a slit in the packet and serve!

Comment

Easy Quick Corn-

Remove the corn husk, lay corn on one end of a 18" length of foil.
                      Add a few pats of butter, drissel alilltle bit of lime/lemon juice on the corn, sprinkle with steak spice or your fav spice mix.
                      Loosely roll the corn in the foil, then twist the ends.
                      Cook over over a med-high heat for 15-20mins,turn every 5 mins.
                      Open and enjoy!

Comment

My favorite foil grilled recipe is loaded baked potatoes. I precook everything and take this as a first dinner after set up. Some of the ingredients require refrigeration so that's why I make it asap. This was the original recipe I used and then just started precooking everything to take to the campsite. I just finish the cooking when we get there.

http://live.charbroil.com/articles/g...oaded-potatoes

Comment

Been camping for quite a few years now. However, the last time we went camping a couple months ago, we tried something new. Lay out a piece of aluminum foil. Than a leaf or two of cabbage. On top of the cabbage, lay out some diced potatoes, pre-cook ground beef or chicken (diced), along with some mixed veggies (corn, carrots, peas, etc.), sprinkle on some seasonings such as salt, pepper, parsley, etc., put on another leaf or two of cabbage, wrap up in the foil and put on the coals until it's done. We also put in a slap or two of butter with it.

Comment

When I went camping as a kid, we made foil packet meals all the time. All we did was take a large square of aluminum foil, put some ground beef, cut up carrots, potatoes, and onions in the foil, season with our favorite seasonings, and then roll loosely while sealing the ends tightly. Then, we would throw it right on the coals and let it cook for about 30-45 minutes. It was delicious.

Comment

Did this last trip. Cheesy baked potato on hot coals.
                              slice potato, not fully through.
                              Cut slices of cheese and butter
                              tuck slices of cheese and butter in slices
                              Wrap in foil and throw on hot coats
                              take off coals, open, salt and pepper to taste.

We also did potatoes with peppers and onions on our Coleman grill. Then threw them in some tin foil and threw then on the fire. Crispy and smokey outside, and soft and tender inside!

One more, biskquick makes shake up pancake mix. We bought one of the bigger containers (makes 12-15 pancakes) and then added local blueberries and strawberries to the mix, and picked up local maple syrup. Made them on a pan on a hot fire. Ended up pulling a move my Dad did when we were kids, ended up flipping them with a machete (only had one spatula) and it worked out well!

Comment

Working...
                              X