Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Beef Tenderloin You Ever Have Had!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Beef Tenderloin You Ever Have Had!

Howdy,

Before you go camping: Buy a 3-4lb slab of beef tenderloin, trimmed(ask your butcher to trim).

At home the night before you go camping: Choose your driest red wine merlot.
    Pour 16 liquid oz. into a freezer zip lock bag. Add a finely chopped 1/2 onion and one fresh pressed garlic. Add a dash of what ever herbs you like(spice is nice)! Add your meat and seal the bag. Place bag into a lock-n-lock in case you can't seal the bag. And place it in your cooler(it can keep for about six day at the max).

At the campsite on the last day of your trip. Start your charcoal fire and when the coals are ready take out your filet piece and grill each side for 5 minutes each. Afterward, take the tenderloin off to rest and remove the grill from your charcoal pen. Spread charcoal to each far side of the grill. Then replace the grill and place your beef tenderloin in the middle of your cooking pen. You will finish cooking your tenderloin by indirect heat and cover your grill with the grill lid or a piece of foil. Every ten to twelve minutes bast your tenderloin with the merlot mixture and turn your beef over. One can use a meat thermometer if you wish or after 30 minutes your meat should be close to 140 degrees(that's rare). At 45 minutes it will be near 160 degrees(medium) and in one hour it will be well done at 180 degrees. I really like mine medium to well! When you serve the custom made filet mignon do not hurt the meat by cutting it with a knife. A fork or spoon is all you will need and if its your best steak ever, I'm your uncle Bill!
    Can you tell I love to camp cook? This filet will melt in your mouth! Oh, if you have it with wine as a beverage, be sure the wine is from the same grape that you used to marinate the beef in the first place. The wine doesn't have be expensive, I used a Trincherro or a Temparillo under $10 all the time and I got plenty of friends that always want to camping with us!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: The Best Beef Tenderloin You Ever Have Had!

This sounds wonderful. I was rambling through old recipe threads and found this. Hope my comment 'bumps' it up for current viewers.

Comment

reno, want to keep that luscious marinated tenderloin longer in your cooler? Freeze it in the marinade!
      I'm keeping my eyes open locally for a sale on tenderloin.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Great point NYCG, we do freeze alot of meat & fish at home all the time. Sounds even better in the marinade!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I look forward to the day when beef prices return to some sanity. At least in our neck of the woods, even ground beef is going for $3.75/lb. Even cheap old Holstein cow tenderloin are going for $11.00/lb. I haven't even looked at the price of select or choice tenders or steaks.

Apparently, the USA beef industry is in a spiral. Due to exports that never returned to the pre-BSE (ie mad-cow) levels and other factors, beef producers have cut back on production to the extent that the USA cattle herd is now about where it was in 1955!

So for our family this weekend, it looks like chicken and pork instead of the beef tenderloin recipe that Renodesertfox recommends for us here

UNLESS... I can catch some nice walleye while fishing and camping this weekend! If so, the chicken and pork will stay in the cooler and I will share with you some excellent walleye recipes!
          Last edited by Mike; 05-22-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Keep your eyes open, Mike.
            I just bought a whole untrimmed filet mignon for 5.99/lb and a poster at another forum I chill at got the same from a Costco in Minnesota. Every week we post the specials at local to us supermarkets. We both got our buys the middle of May. Finally recalled the name of the recipe I was looking for using beef tenderloin: lomo al trapo.
            Nothing wrong with fresh walleyes!
            2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
              Keep your eyes open, Mike.
              I just bought a whole untrimmed filet mignon for 5.99/lb and a poster at another forum I chill at got the same from a Costco in Minnesota. Every week we post the specials at local to us supermarkets. We both got our buys the middle of May. Finally recalled the name of the recipe I was looking for using beef tenderloin: lomo al trapo.
              Nothing wrong with fresh walleyes!
              Thanks for the encouragement, NYCgrrl. Beef prices are still sky high here. The good news is that we did get a whole bunch of fresh Walleye. We fried them and had a feast!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Thanks for the encouragement, NYCgrrl. Beef prices are still sky high here. The good news is that we did get a whole bunch of fresh Walleye. We fried them and had a feast!
                Alright!!!! Now go ahead and share the walleye recipes.
                2017:

Comment

Working...
                X