MREs - It's what's for dinner!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MREs - It's what's for dinner!!

Was wondering what I wanted for dinner, but didn't feel like cooking. Didn't want cold cut samwiches either. Got no convenient 'left-overs'. Didn't feel like buzzing down to a local 'Burger Barn'.

Then it hit me - I need t 'check' my MRE stash before this winter's camping! So here I sit with a couple pouches of cold "Chicken Strips in Chunky Salsa" in a paper plate, with crackers. Not half bad! Kinda like a cross between chicken chili with salsa added...... NO spiceyness though - I don't mind, as I like 'mild'......
    Will be somewhat better heated over a campstove....... :D
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

I've tried some that my husband brought home. They are pretty good.
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

I've eaten quite a few MRE's and I've never had a truly bad one. Of course some are better then others however as my Dad would say "If your too good to eat it you weren't really hungry". I do think they tend to be over priced for what your getting though you can sometimes find decent deals.

Comment

The only MRE entree I have truly disliked is the "Beef In Jamaica Sauce" - NASTY!
        I find their tomato sauce entrees a bit too much like Franco American - too spicy for my taste though okay. I'd prefer it more like Chef Boyardee...... :D

Every few years I buy a couple cases of Entrees only - no need for the rest of the stuff - that's all easily available cheaper elsewhere. I use the MREs for camping mostly, and for my Storm Preps. A lot lighter and more compact than canned goods, while needing no prep or cooking. Sometimes ya just don't feel like breaking out the camping stove and gear.....

Comment

I've never had Beef In Jamaica Sauce is that support to be something like a Jerked Beef? Not that I've ever had Jerked Beef or know what it would taste like. :D

Now if Chef Boyardee made MRE's I defiantly try those. I may be a full growed man but I still love me some of the Chef's delicious Ravioli. That's comfort food at it's finest.

I like your idea of buying just the entries. The complete meals come packed with things i think are just there to add calories like drink mixes and candy and aren't what I'd normally have with a meal. The problem I have then is that I end up still feeling hungry and want that second entrée.

Comment

It was, IIRC, a sort of chunky beef in a spicy sauce that just didn't appeal to me.

I had read that one must eat ALL the junk in the MRE pouch to get the full calorie content, as the individual entree pouches vary from 170 to 240 calories, depending on flavor. So, yep, two of them make a meal along with a 'side dish' item - that "Chicken Strips in Chunky Salsa" would go very good over rice! It is actually chicken chunks, not 'strips'.
            In the vein of MREs, I often use the "Ready To Eat" rice meals nowadays for camping and travel too. No heating or prep needed - a "poor man's MRE" in a way. But defintely tastes better heated.
            I always have my stainless steel Canteen Cup and a small stove handy for that when traveling. Part of my 'minimalist' ideal.

Comment

Where do you guys get these MRE's from? I've never tried them, but would like to.
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                I'd prefer it more like Chef Boyardee...... :D
                You know how you always know someone who says, "I know someone who knew ___________" (fill in the blank).

Well, as a young un, at least 5 decades ago, Chef Boyardee was an acquaintance of my family! I don't know what picture they have on a can of their spaghetti now, but, it used to be his likeness.

So, now you can say, "I know someone who knew Chef Boyardee"

At one time, I owned Raymond Burr's (Perry Mason, Ironside) last champion Romney ram. Go ahead. I dare you to say it.............:p

Go Ducks
                Chuck
                So. Oregon
                TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Trish, I generally order them from "The Sportsman's Guide" - they are online and have a lot of good outdoor stuff. Any of the other 'outdoor' suppliers, military surplus, etc will have them. I like just the entrees though - the full MRE package has a bunch of other junk that is better put together at home - paper towel, utensil (I love sporks for camping!), beverage packet and breakfast stuff, etc.

ER, when I worked airport checkpoint secuirty in the '90s, I got to meet several celebrities. Orville Redenbacher the popcorn king, Telly Savalas, a really nice guy! Patricia Neal, after she was wheelchair bound. Best part of the job!

Comment

I was once lucky enough to get a tour inside Stembridge gun rental. They rent a lot of guns to Hollywood for movies and TV shows. Inside one room was a display of the Cartwright's guns from Bonanza.

I like to tell people I touched Hoss's gun.

Comment

MRE's

Last time I had MREs was in the Army back in '85. Sounds like the flavors have improved.

Most were ok except I hated Pressed Ham. Fortunately, I was usually in charge of handing them out, so I didn't get that one! I did love the dehydrated strawberries.

I made "Ranger cookies" with the powered creamer and sugar packs. Mix them together and put the powered in the foil pack. the heat with a lighter.

And as for celebrities. I saw some guy dressed as the spitting image of Col. Sanders at Chicago O'Hare Airport last night. White suite and string bow tie too.

-----
                      Derek
                      eCampingCookingEquipment.com

Comment

Re: MREs - It's what's for dinner!!

Does anyone actually use MRE's when camping from our current active members? We just so happen to have over a case of actual military MRE's, but I have never brought them camping with us. We live in one of the Vermont towns that was completely cut off from the rest of the world when hurricane Irene came through back in 2011. There was a 3 mile stretch of road through our town that was intact, the rest was completely washed away. We couldn't leave that 3 mile stretch for a month, so they were bringing in water, MRE's and supplies to us by helicopter. It was quite the adventure, to say the least! LOL! But now I have a whole case of these MRE's just sitting there gathering dust. Are these a viable option for camping meals, or should I hang onto them for future backpacking trips or a SHTF situation? Is there an expiration on these meals? I've had them for 3 years now...
                        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

I do use MREs, among other 'ready-to-eat' meals, when camping, especially by motorcycle. I like simplicity, and it's quick and easy to heat up an MRE entrée rather than have to cook something. When travelling by bike, space (more so than weight) is at a premium!
                          Every couple years I buy a case or two of MRE Entrees (not the full packages).
                          MRE's will last a good ten years if not stored in heat or extreme cold. Some guys have eaten then older than that.

Comment

I worked with (not worked for) a company that makes MRE for the military. We were able to sample a lot of their USA military MRE. They were all excellent

However, they are VERY CALORIC. They are designed for military men in the field and not for the casual hiker/camper. I took them off my camping menu because of the big calorie count

Comment

One reason I use only the entrée - averages 180 to 250 calories per entrée. Not at all bad. A lot of salt though.

Comment

Working...
                              X