Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Pot Meals

Howdy Campateers,
    One pot meals are a timesaver, and there's nothing quite like the mouth-watering aromas given off by a simmering pot of food. The term "keep it simple" truly applies to this type of cookery, which uses ingredients on hand and usually a soup pot or Dutch oven are the only tools needed.

There are some wonderful soups, stews and roasts that do well with very little preparation time, and are easy to adjust to the ingredients you have in the pantry. One of the most commonly used pots in this type of cookery is the Dutch oven, a large, heavy kettle or pot with a tight-fitting lid. The Dutch oven is sometimes called a casserole, since it can usually be used in the oven or on top of the stove. The origin of the name is unknown, but there is evidence of the use of large iron stewing pots in Colonial America. The name is thought to have come from the Pennsylvania Dutch.

The traditional stockpot, or soup pot, is taller than it is wide, reducing excess evaporation by exposing only a small amount of surface to the air. It's a versatile pot to have, but a Dutch oven can easily be substituted.

If anyone has a one pot meal that they like, it's time to post it up. This is the thread to post your meal in. Here's my contribution in the first post following to get things started. Thanks for looking and hopefully your favorite "one pot meal" will be next.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Cheeseburger Chowder

Chowder with potatoes, ground beef, and cheese.
    Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed, about 2 cups
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
    1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules or beef base
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 1/2 cups milk
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    Preparation:

In a 3 to 4-quart saucepan brown beef. Drain off excess fat. Stir in cubed potatoes, chopped celery, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, bouillon or base, salt, and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Blend flour with 1/2 cup of milk. Add to saucepan along with the remaining 2 cups of milk. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add cheese; heat and stir until cheese is melted.
    Serves 6 to 8.

Okay who's next? If not, I'll post another great satisfying comfort meal in one pot!

Comment

Beef & Beer Stew(BB Stew)

Easy beef stew recipe with beer, carrots and onions and stew beer, simmered over campfire with a tripod.

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion
      2 medium carrots, chopped
      2 tablespoons vegetable oil
      2 pounds beef stew beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
      1 cup beer
      beef broth
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
      1/4 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 teaspoon leaf thyme
      1 bay leaf

Preparation:

Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onion and carrots in the hot oil until onion is tender and transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef cubes, 1 cup beer(the rest is for the cook), 1/2 cup beef broth, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Stir occasionally, adding more beef broth and/or beer if necessary.

Beef and beer stew serves 6.
      Cooking is where I shine! Actually Desert Rose, my wonderful bride of x-number of years does most of the prep work, I'm just the grill & fire man!
      For clean-up, I wash, the air dries & I put things away. Desert Rose relaxes and supervises. I love my Desert Rose...she puts up the tent with a little assist from this old disabled Vet. It was harder for her when I was wheel-chair bound, we still camped then.

Comment

Potato/Ham Soup

Potato and ham soup recipe, with ham, cheese, potatoes, and seasonings. Garnish this potato soup with fresh chopped parsley or chives.

Ingredients:
        2 cups red potatoes, peeled & cubed
        3 tablespoons butter
        1 small onion, chopped fine
        3 tablespoons flour
        cayenne pepper
        black pepper
        3 cups milk
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        1 cup cooked, cubed ham
        1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, (4 ounces)
        fresh chopped parsley or chives for garnish, if desired

Preparation:
        Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain; reserve 1 cup of the liquid.Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, until tender. Stir in flour; season with red and black pepper. Cook for about 3 more minutes, stirring. Add potatoes, reserved liquid, milk, and salt; stir well. Add ham; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes. Add cheese; stir until melted. Top with fresh parsley or chives, if desired.
        Serves 3 to 4.

Comment

1/4 cup hummus mix (dried hummus can be bought in nutrition section of store)
          1/2 t curry powder

In camp, add 1/4 cup water or more. Spread on tortillas or use as dip mix.

Szechuan Veggie Noodles

Before leaving home, combine: 3/4 C Chinese noodles, 2 T dried cabbage, 2T thinly sliced dried mushrooms, 3T chopped toasted cashews, 1T powdered milk, 1 1/2 t dried onion, 1t bouillon powder, 1/4 t ground ginger, 1/8 t garlic powder.

Pack separately: 1 T p/butter

For dinner, add above ingredients to 1 1/2 cups boiling water, cover, let stand about 10 minutes.
          Chuck
          So. Oregon
          TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
          TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
          SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Both Susan and I ALWAYS take a small section of Parmesan cheese, and a small grater. By "small" grater: I found one of those four sided metal graters, but it was only about two inches tall, and was a refrigerator magnet. I took off the magnet, and have my "ultra-light" cheese grater. There is nothing like fresh grated parmesan cheese on the trail. I wouldn't touch pre-grated cheese on the trail at all - no flavor.

Wanna add some nutrition and flavor to hot cereal or bowl of granola in the morning? Take some dried peach and/or apricot halves with you. In the evening, boil about a cup of water, put 2-3 peach halves or 3-4 apricot halves in the hot water, and cover. In the morning the fruit will have re-hydrated, the water turned to a medium sweet syrup, and oh, it is good. If I am having granola, I pour the syrup water right over the granola - no milk.
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Fox Stew

Sounds good Eaglebait! Here's another tried and tested recipe from our camp kitchen. We call it "Fox Stew"

Ingredients:

1 pound dried black-eyed peas
              2 small smoked ham hocks or meaty ham bone
              2 medium onions, divided
              3 large cloves garlic, halved
              1 bay leaf
              1 cup long-grain white rice
              1 can (10 to 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chile peppers, juices reserved
              1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
              1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
              3 ribs celery, chopped
              1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
              2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
              1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
              3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
              3/4 teaspoon salt
              4 green onions, sliced

Preparation:

In a large Dutch oven or kettle, combine the black-eyed peas, ham bone or ham hocks, and 6 cups water. Cut 1 of the onions in half and add it to the pot along with the garlic and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer gently until the beans are tender but not mushy, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove the ham bone or hocks, cut off the meat; dice and set aside. Drain the peas and set aside. Remove and discard the bay leaf, onion pieces, and garlic.

Add 2 1/2 cups of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Mince the remaining onion then add to the rice along with the peas, tomatoes, and their juices, red and green bell pepper, celery, jalapeno pepper, Creole seasoning, thyme, cumin, and salt. Cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the sliced green onions and the reserved diced ham. Serve with hot sauce and freshly baked cornbread.
              Serves 4 adults

Comment

Sausage and Tortellini Soup

This take all day to slow cook! The flavors are intense!
                Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds hot Italian sausage(or mild version)
                3 to 4 cups beef broth
                1 (28oz) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed in puree
                1 onion, chopped
                1 large carrot, chopped
                1 package frozen spinach, thawed, (8 to 10 ounces)
                1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
                salt and pepper, to taste
                1 package cheese tortellini, fresh or frozen

Preparation:

Remove sausage from casing and brown, breaking it up. Drain sausage and transfer to a stockpot or Dutch oven.

Add remaining ingredients, except tortellini, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until vegetables are tender but not mushy.

Add tortellini and cook for the length of time indicated on package directions.

For the slow cooker, follow steps 1 and 2, but cook covered on low for 6 to 9 hours; add cooked tortellini (cook following package directions) in the last 15 minutes.

Serves 6.

Comment

My gosh, those seem mouth waterin' good!

I used to eat meat, ya, some 35 years ago, but I still can remember what those things taste like. Those recipes would be outstanding!
                  Chuck
                  So. Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                    Chowder with potatoes, ground beef, and cheese.
                    Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef
                    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed, about 2 cups
                    1/2 cup chopped celery
                    1/4 cup chopped onion
                    2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
                    1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules or beef base
                    1/2 teaspoon salt
                    1 1/2 cups water
                    2 1/2 cups milk
                    3 tablespoons flour
                    1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
                    Preparation:

In a 3 to 4-quart saucepan brown beef. Drain off excess fat. Stir in cubed potatoes, chopped celery, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, bouillon or base, salt, and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Blend flour with 1/2 cup of milk. Add to saucepan along with the remaining 2 cups of milk. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add cheese; heat and stir until cheese is melted.
                    Serves 6 to 8.

Okay who's next? If not, I'll post another great satisfying comfort meal in one pot!

This looks awesome! Can't wait to try it next time we go. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                    X