Ever tried Ruebens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever tried Ruebens

So has anyone tried doing Ruebens in a pie iron over the camp fire? If so how did they turn out. I love them and it just dawned on me that they would probably make some awesome camp food.

I love a good rueben! A basic grilled cheese sandwich would work well too.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
      I love a good rueben! A basic grilled cheese sandwich would work well too.
      Bigdog,

Curious do you take the ingredients and assemble them at the campsite or prepare them before leaving and just cook. I would think that if you could assemble before leaving would help out on not having to take all the ingredients with.

Comment

Re: Ever tried Ruebens

Fair warning, ya'll might be seeing some old threads bumped by me today as I dig my way through older posts for ideas and tips.

Mmmmm, ruebens... Strangely enough I don't care for ANY of the ingredients that go into a rueben, but put them all together and wowza! They are sooooo yummy!

I do some OAMC (once a month cooking), and one of my fave recipes is this one for Rueben Squares. These are fantastic to make ahead, cut into portions and freeze. Throw a few in the cooler and either wait for them to thaw enough to eat cold, or wrap in foil and heat it up over the fire. These could even work out for backpackers maybe... I throw a frozen one of these in hubby's lunchbox in the morning and it is perfectly thawed by lunchtime. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
        1 13 3/4 oz. pkg. hot roll mix
        1 can (1 cup +/-) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
        1/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
        1/4 cup tomato sauce
        sliced Swiss cheese
        3 3-oz. packages very thinly sliced corned beef, or about 1/2 lb of deli sliced corned beef
        2 tsp. cooking oil
        Caraway seed (optional)

Directions:
        Prepare hot roll mix according to package directions just through mixing step. Divide dough in half. Let rest, covered, for 10 minutes.

Set aside 1 half of dough, covered, for top crust. On a lightly floured surface roll the remaining half to a 13x9" rectangle. Place in a greased 13x9" baking dish. Cover; let rise 20 minutes. Bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Baked layer will be lightly golden.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine sauerkraut, dressing, and tomato sauce. Mix well and set aside.

Arrange 4 slices of the cheese over the baked bread layer. Arrange all of the corned beef slices atop the cheese layer. Spoon the sauerkraut mixture over the corned beef. Top with the remaining slices of cheese.

Roll remaining dough into a 13x9&34; rectangle. Place over corned beef and cheese filling. Crimp edges. Cover; let rest 10-15 min. Brush the top with cooking oil. Sprinkle lightly with caraway seed, if desired.

Bake in a 350° oven for 30-35 min. or till top is light brown. Cut into 6 squares. Remove each square and cool up to 1 hour on a wire rack. Pack each cooled square in a freezer bag. Store up to 1 month in the freezer. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

When I car camp, I take the ingredients in a cooler. Sometimes sandwiches get damp or soggy if 'pre-fabbed' before camping.

Comment

Try Korean Reubens. They are even better than traditional Reubens. Just substitute kimchee for the sourkraut. Kimmchee, of course, is sourkraut made with Chinese cabbage, garlic, and chili powder. FANTASTIC

Comment

You can play off the "grilled cheese sandwich" theme and do so much:

ruebens
              ham & cheese
              philly cheesesteak
              tomato & cheese
              mushroom & cheese
              turkey melt
              patty melt

and on and on. Pretty much anything you have on hand can get added to a grilled cheese sandwich - and they are easily made with whatever gear you have.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

My cousins introduced me to pie irons when I went camping with them a couple of years ago. They make Reubens all the time in the irons. They assemble at the campsite instead of making them ahead. According to them, the Reubens are a great late-night snack.

Personally, my favorite pie iron sandwich is the breakfast sandwich. Yum!

Comment

LOL, Mike, we never thought of using kimchee instead of 'kraut, but any excuse to eat more oysters! Good ideal though in the pie irons and we often make pastrami.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

We do Ruebens occasionally. Starts with a good marble Rye or regular Rye bread, butter the outsides and layer in a good deli corned beef, with Lorraine Swiss cheese. Thousand island dressing and Franks brand of Kraut. YUMM YUMM

I have several pie iron links if any one wants them. We do a lot of desserts with the pie irons also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                      When I car camp, I take the ingredients in a cooler. Sometimes sandwiches get damp or soggy if 'pre-fabbed' before camping.
                      Pre-made sammies won't get soggy if ya pack them at the top of the cooler. Or store em in a plastic container.

Yanno what? I've never had a Reuben in life but I know a man that thinks sauerkraut is like manna from Heaven so maybeee if he doesn't put the toilet brush in the bthrm sink ever again in life I'll make him one.
                      All sammies taste yummy in a pie iron.
                      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I am another who despises sauerkraut, but I like Ruebens. Kimchee...... not on your life!
                        I don't like cabbage and corned beef either, but I do like a good sandwich when St. Paddy's Day rolls around!

Comment

Working...
                        X