X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Oven Math

Howdy,
    The Rule of 3's
    Step 1- Take note of the size of your oven. (i.e. 12")
    Step 2- Subtract 3 from the size (12-3=9) and add that many briquettes under your oven.
    Step 3- Add 3 to the size (12+3=15) and add that many briquettes on top of your oven.

This will give you approximately 325 degrees in your oven.

To increase the temperature, add 1 briquette above and 1 below, for every additional 25 degrees needed.
    To decrease the temperature, remove 1 briquette above and 1 below, for every 25 degrees less you need.

Usually, I cheat just a little...doesn't hurt because with cast iron, heat is spread evenly. It's very hard to over-cook in a DO. Sometimes also I'll also place extra briqueetes around the base of the pot. Dutch Oven is one of the easiest ways and best ways to cook camp food! We love it. On future campouts I'll be sharing a lot more recipes and photos too! Thanks for lookin!:D
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 06-09-2010, 11:42 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Dutch Oven Math

That will depend a lot on what type of wood is burning... mesquite is one of the hottest burning woods whereas oak and hickory burn a little cooler. I'm not sure on the order for how hot each burns, but I know mequite is one of the hottest. It might have to do with how hard the wood is. One other thing that would factor in would be the moisture content on the wood. The more moisture, the cooler it would burn. Most people I know won't cook with wood till it has dried for one to two years.

And Reno, I am giving cast iron cooking another go. I tried it several years ago (buttermilk bicuits) and apparently used too many coals. I will try your method and see how it works for me.
    Last edited by West Texan; 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Working...
    X