Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip-Lock Omelets

-text removed-
    Last edited by MNCamper; 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM.
    MN Camper

Sounds good, and easy for the lazy guys (me) who don't want to deal with a lot of cooking stuff.

Comment

IT really works

This one works. We have done this for years...We usually do this for brunches when there is alot of family memebers. Whats weird is the cheese and veggies stay withing the egg, just like an omlette you would get from a diner. IT WORKS!
      Last edited by zidane70; 03-08-2006, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Re: Zip-Lock Omelets

Originally posted by MNCamper View Post
        Sounds strange, I know... My friend's wife got this recipe off the net and it worked for us. If you're camping with a cooler, or have dried egg powder on hand, you might want to try this recipe. Get the heavy duty, boil-in-the-bag storage zipper bags. Drop a couple eggs in there, some cheese, and veggies if you're so inclined then zip that bad boy up and drop it in some boiling water until you can visually see it's been cooked. I'm telling ya, it's worked great for us. Hits the spot!
        There is an entire book about cooking in ziplock bags:

Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple
        by Sarah Svien Kirkconnell

Critics of the book argue that cooking in LDPE plastic releases toxins from the plastic into the food - a use for which LDPE plastic was not designed or marketed. I tend to agree with those critics.

HOWEVER, if you are not the worrying type, have a look at this book. It might have a lot of fun, creative, and practical ideas for you.

Comment

Wow, threads that are older than my daughter........
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Yes, KQ this forum has been here since 2004 or so!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
              Wow, threads that are older than my daughter........
              That means my tent is probably older than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                That means my tent is probably older than you.
                Maybe it is, I have seen some of the pictures of classic tents that you posted As far as my age goes......I was welcomed into Kuwait as liberating hero and had a grown man Iraqi soldier surrendering, more like grasping my legs and begging for water, all before the age of 20.

BTW, my daughter is 6....

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                  Maybe it is, I have seen some of the pictures of classic tents that you posted As far as my age goes......I was welcomed into Kuwait as liberating hero and had a grown man Iraqi soldier surrendering, more like grasping my legs and begging for water, all before the age of 20.

BTW, my daughter is 6....
                  If my memory is correct the Kuwait war was around 1990, add say 19 years for your age at the time.... so you might be in your early 40's?

So.... born in the early 1970's? Well, it is close. My oldest tent that I still use (on occasion) is from the mid 1960's, so it's close, but the old canvas tent was born before disco (actually, you were born before disco too)

Anyway, you daughter is lucky to have a father who can teach her camping and the joys of the outdoors!

Comment

don't lump me into my 40's yet, I still have 3 more (precious) days in my 30's!!!!!!!! I graduated Basic the morning after Iraq invaded Kuwait. Talk about impeccable timing....

BTW, I quite the bag method years ago, due to what you mentioned. When my daughter was born, she had some problems and she was in Children's. One of the dad's responsibility was to sterilize the bottle nipples. We had special medical grade steamer bags that we would add some water to and put it in the microwave. The bags were designed for this and safe. Now if you look at the zip lock websites, it will tell you not to boil commercial bags. I am not a scientist, but if the manufacture tells you something isn't safe.....

Comment

Early Happy Birthday 05King!

Getting older is better than the alternative to getting older...

You will enjoy your 40's. Use every minute as if they were golden coins.

Comment

I love the idea of not having to clean pots. I do the same with oatmeal by just heating water in the pan and putting hot water and oatmeal in a ziplock and letting it cook in a cozy made of reflective insulations. Thanks for the wonderfull idea and now no more cleaning the fry pan for eggs.. Awesome!!
                        Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          There is an entire book about cooking in ziplock bags:

Freezer Bag Cooking: Trail Food Made Simple
                          by Sarah Svien Kirkconnell

Critics of the book argue that cooking in LDPE plastic releases toxins from the plastic into the food - a use for which LDPE plastic was not designed or marketed. I tend to agree with those critics.

HOWEVER, if you are not the worrying type, have a look at this book. It might have a lot of fun, creative, and practical ideas for you.
                          You are right about the ziplock bags releasing toxins, which are a known cause of cancer. While they're great for storing food items, they are not designed for heating food in. They can also easily melt if they touch the sides of the pot. However, there are bags that are specifically designed for cooking in that are supposed to be BPA & dioxin free. The idea sounds great, but if you're going to try it then I'd be sure you're getting a bag that is designed for that specific purpose.

Comment

FoodSaver makes boil safe bags for those with an interest but to the best of my knowledge Ziplock does not.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Does food saver make any bags that seal like a ziploc? Or do you have to use a vacuum seal on all of them? I could only see the ones that used a vacuum seal. That would kind of be hard when camping. Any links would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X