Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea for a waterproof, dust proof chuck box.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for a waterproof, dust proof chuck box.

I thought i'd share an idea I came up with to convert one of those camping hard cases into a chuck box. I created an animated mock up of roughly how it would work. I'm a fan of this kind of box because they are durable, waterproof, dust proof and they come with anchor points. If anyone has done something similar or has ideas on how to make the project work let me know. Note, i would probably insert dividers on the inside and attach one of those camping caddy organisers to the inside of the lid.

While I like the idea of camping chuck boxes/compact kitchens; so far the solution that fits me best is separate cases... (depending on the trip I can leave some at home).
    I have tried many boxes and camp kitchen ideas the biggest problem with most is that they are heavy, when loaded; some actually needing more than one person to carry far.
    The over lander ideas of/for kitchens built into the back of the vehicle look neat but really need the vehicle to park in the campsite, and add weight to the vehicle since they stay with the vehicle (thus inhibiting off road performance on short, extreme terrain, off road explorations & day trips. ..

...not really sure that "waterproof" makes all that much difference, having carried kitchen gear both ways... I can see arguments for rain resistant though.
    and waterproof might be of some benefit if the vehicle is a jeep or pickup without a roof/cover tarp.
    Mostly I have found kitchen gear to survive occasional wetting pretty well although dry-bags are sometime useful for things that do not survive wetting (like paper towels).
    I do carry some food items in waterproof containers (ammo boxes).

I'll keep searching and you should keep trying.

(If I might suggest; flip the container, and add supports so that what is now the top can be used as a shelf/work surface and add internal dividers to hold items like stove,plates, cookware etc.).
    Other things that I can think of are patentable and thus you will have to come up with them on your own. (The top as a work surface has been done many times before).

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
    X