Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vehicle portable mid sized camping solar system...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle portable mid sized camping solar system...

Finally the new camping solar system is nearing completion.
    The parts are mostly together ; still missing the battery cutoff/breaker switch and the cable to program the MPPT solar controller (to make it fully compatible with the LiFePo4 battery)...

The goal; to put together a vehicle portable solar system with enough capacity to run the portable refrigerator for tent camping trips.

The components;
    Two 50 watt Renogy brand solar panels (from a previous project) I expect that many brands will work, piano hinged together making a suitcase style 100 watt assembly. This makes them somewhat easier to transport added 2 aluminum side to side supports per panel to help distribute the forces and, hopefully, make them a bit more damage resistant. (Still need to find/buy/make; props to point it at the sun, a latch and handle.) weight, so far, approximately 25 pounds (Which I consider a bit on the heavy side)

A reBel brand 100 Amo Hour lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo$) battery; lighter and more usable capacity than lead acid. weight approximately 24 pounds.
    Small, modified (obsolete) Harbor Freight 80 watt inverter; to provide 110volt power for LED lights, bug zapper and USB power to recharge USB toys.

An Epever MPPT, 20 amp, solar charge controller (Trace 2210AN); note the adds claim lithium battery compatibility BUT the user needs to purchase an extra interface cable (not mentioned... Surprise!) and download software (free) then reprogram some parameters (finding acceptable parameters is a bit of a pain, haven't yet received the cable). weight a couple of pounds.

I purchased some 10 gauge red and black cord along with plugs to connect the panels and some Anderson connectors to make repeated connections and disconnections easier. Note the standard plugs n the solar panels are not easy to disconnect; I will either replace them with something better or modify them by cutting off the latches). The initial length of the cord is 15 feet.

Spent a bit of time considering how to put all the parts together ye keep it easy to move;
    Ended up using some 1/4"Lexan to mount the controller and Anderson connectors (one for the panels and one for the 12 volt connection the the portable camping refrigerator/freezer). to the battery using some aluminum angle andself stick Velcro for ease of disassembly.

Initial, trial, assembly is now complete (with the parts that I have)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	mid sized solar DSCF0325.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	81376 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0326.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	81377

Kind of a fun little project so far (hoping the cable and software work...)

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Woke up early and decided to make a power cord to run from the battery/controller to the cooler. Used some of the read and black 10 ga. (gauge) wire and put some Anderson connectors on it; a large grey 50 amp at the controller (to match the grey one already there... the cooler being grey made the color selection easy). Along with some (allegedly) 45 amp small Anderson powerpole connectors on the other end (red and black to match the wire color code. I then cut the cigar lighter from the existing 14 ga. 12 volt power cord and installed matching connectors on it.

A couple of notes on Anderson power connectors;
    The larger ones only fit connectors of the same color (grey to grey a, red to red etc.... this is not true of the smaller connectors. They rely on color coding to keep from cross connecting polarity.requiring thought and a modicum of care when connecting them. The differences in the ampacity, within a product line, comes from differences in the pins... I took a risk and got some chinese knockoffs of Anderson connectors and pins so I wouldn't count on their functioning well under rated load (thus using 50 and 45 amp pins/contacts for a 20 Amp line, is explained).
    I soldered the large connector pins. Thus making problems for myself when the solder over ran the pin. The pins fit very tightly in the connector so I had to remove the unwanted solder by fililing it away.
    The small 45 Amp pins I crimped on, thus minimizing fitment problems.
    I was slightly amazed when different brands of chinese knock off connectors fit together without issue.

Below is a pic of the assorted cords wires connectors and the controller(removed from the battery)

Upper left; a 10 foot, 10 ga. cord for the cooler (or anything else that needs connections to the load terminal of the controller.
    Lower left; the 14 ga. cooler power (now shorter than 6 feet) cord with installed connectors (I tried to make it compatible with Jackery connectors.
    Center; 10 ga. 15 foot, power input cord from the solar panels to the controller.
    Right; the solar controller controller. With red and black 8 ga. wires (center terminals) which will run to the battery and circuit breaker/disconnect switch (when it comes in).

The reason for such long cords is that my tents are 9' x9' and 9 1/2' x 9 1/2' and both the solar panels and cooler will normally reside outside with the battery and controller inside.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

A portable mid-sized camping solar system is an ingenious solution for off-grid power needs. It comprises portable solar panels, a battery storage unit, and a solar charge controller. The solar panels harness sunlight during the day, converting it into electricity which charges the battery. The charge controller regulates the power flow, preventing overcharging. This system provides a reliable power source for gadgets, lighting, and small appliances, making it a perfect companion for camping trips. It is eco-friendly, silent, and cost-effective in the long run. Moreover, its portable nature allows for easy setup and transportation, ensuring you always have power, wherever your adventure takes you.

Comment

Working...
      X