Battery Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battery Box

Not exactly...I have found that a Kindle is easier to carry around than a stack of books. It's also a toss-up between my headlamp and my candle lantern - for car-camping I go with the UCO. For hiking, it's the 1-ounce Petzl :-) Plus, an acoustic guitar needs no battery (car only)!
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Joe, I like the concept of taking my subwoofer along, but how the h*ll am I going to get 2000W peak power spikes to the driver?!?

Your device has clean lines and utilitarian good looks. Nicely done.
      Last edited by tplife; 08-16-2016, 09:12 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
        Not exactly...I have found that a Kindle is easier to carry around than a stack of books. It's also a toss-up between my headlamp and my candle lantern - for car-camping I go with the UCO. For hiking, it's the 1-ounce Petzl :-) Plus, an acoustic guitar needs no battery (car only)!
        I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were saying how great a ukulele is for camping/backpacking. And apparently really easy to learn.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          Joe, I like the concept of taking my subwoofer along, but how the h*ll am I going to get 2000W peak power spikes to the driver?!?

Your device has clean lines and utilitarian good looks. Nicely done.
          ... Err, em... I have a 3 kilowatt 24 volt inverter (not exactly portable) that would probably do the job.
          I use 10 gauge speaker wire at home, although I try to keep the subwoofer power in the 100 watt (rms) range; keeps the dry wall seams from opening up.... Have you considered super caps (depends on the length of your transients, and not all that portable either)....(tongue firmly in cheek).

Edit; the inverter on top of the battery is rated at 80 watts, if I recall correctly, but has a problem staying cool if running a 50 watt incandescent (resistive load) bulb.

For low power (around 20 watts), low level, tunes while vehicle camping, I use one of these; altec-lansing vs2221
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836113158

The cell phone (with memory card) provides a tune source (though not much control)I may change out the remote speakers (next year) for some old weather resistant KLH speakers that I used to use for gaming. (Speaking of gaming my old 8800 GTS 512 video card bit the dust last night.. time to modernize, again, I guess)

...Thanks!
          I had every thing but the remote in stock... still need to get & install an on/off switch for the control circuit board...

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I got to thinking (this morning, around 3:00 am) that I should probably standardize on a DC connector; so that I can just plug 12 volt stuff in...
            Right now the inverter has 5 way binding posts however these are not polarized (other than being colored red and black. ...Given that many non technical folks don't necessarily realize that red is + and black is - I can see this possibly causing damage at some point.

I really don't like automotive cigarette lighter plugs; they are sized for cigars and are excessively HUGE, IMO. (edit also most circuits are limited to between 4 and 10 amps (varies).

In the past I have used Molex connectors pretty widely however there are so many variants; when I actually get equipment that has them from the factory, that I almost always have to make up a converter that then gets lost eventually...

USB connectors are not for 12 volt accessories, the raw connectors are hard to find and they are relatively fragile... so they are out.

(edit) Anderson power poles seem to have a pretty good rep, are "relatively" inexpensive and are available in many sizes.
            https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power...0&pageNumber=1

I do like the coaxial barrel connectors that many wall warts (small often black power supplies that plug into 110 volt AC outlets) use but here again there are an incredible number of size variants and no standard as to polarity.

At this point I will probably add a switched 12 volt remote circuit to the, above, battery and use binding posts with stone age banana plugs; in the absence of a better idea.

... any thoughts/preferances?

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-18-2016, 07:51 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              I got to thinking (this morning, around 3:00 am) that I should probably standardize on a DC connector; so that I can just plug 12 volt stuff in...
              Right now the inverter has 5 way binding posts however these are not polarized (other than being colored red and black. ...Given that many non technical folks don't necessarily realize that red is + and black is - I can see this possibly causing damage at some point.
              How many people are messing with your battery box that this is an issue?
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                How many people are messing with your battery box that this is an issue?
                Not really messing with it but there are occasionally friends "helping?" during camp setup/breakdown ...loading and unloading etc.
                There have also been a few instances where it was used for "emergency" lighting at night; though this mostly just helped to view the comedy relief (not that much emergency; mostly unintentional slapstick moments)... homemade tarp canopy collapse with loud, clanging, conduit sections burying sleeping inebriates... (5-6 stooges under a circus tent kind of thing)...

Plug and play would make it easier especially with post midnight sleepy eyes...

Enjoy!
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-18-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

For low power (around 20 watts), low level, tunes while vehicle camping, I use one of these; altec-lansing vs2221
                  Low power? LOW POWER? Forget THAT! Try 200 watts continuous power.
                  Once charged, it'll run for at least 8 hours, 11 if we don't try to strip the bark off the trees.
                  AND we don't see any critters the entire trip! :he:

https://aiwa.co/

Comment

I got to thinking (this morning, around 3:00 am) that I should probably standardize on a DC connector; so that I can just plug 12 volt stuff in... any thoughts/preferances?
                    I used to use Cinch Jones connectors because of the same size issue with cigarette lighter sockets and plugs. They're great - But they're somewhat tedious to put together. So, because I seem to change my wiring every other trip, I went back to the cigarette lighters to save time. If the time factor doesn't bother you, you might want to have a look at 'em. They come in a lot of pin count sizes, they're all polarized and also available in chassis mount.

Last edited by MacGyver; 08-18-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

These are the speakers I use when camping. They're plugged in to a power strip that gets plugged into the 120v outlet when on shore power or into the Wagan power pack when dry camping. I also have a Zune docking station plugged in to the power strip and that has a remote control - so I keep the volume up on the speakers and then adjust it on the Zune using the remote. Works great and cost me less than the Aiwa including the docking station and the Zune, as well as the docking station and second Zune I use in the cab when driving (heck, even including the 3rd Zune I bring along as a spare and my xboom mini speaker I use when hiking, etc.)... :surprised:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	41uoDs8ylyL._SX425_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	70614

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LS21-Stereo-Speaker-System/dp/B0015C30J0/ref=sr_1_46?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471579255&sr=1-46&keywords=computer+speakers

P.S. I have 7 Zunes - found the 30gb ones new in box on eBay for $50 each, so grabbed six to go along with my one 80gb (that cost a couple hundred). Love my Zunes!!
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Not really messing with it but there are occasionally friends "helping?" during camp setup/breakdown ...loading and unloading etc.
                        There have also been a few instances where it was used for "emergency" lighting at night; though this mostly just helped to view the comedy relief (not that much emergency; mostly unintentional slapstick moments)... homemade tarp canopy collapse with loud, clanging, conduit sections burying sleeping inebriates... (5-6 stooges under a circus tent kind of thing)...

Plug and play would make it easier especially with post midnight sleepy eyes...

Enjoy!
                        Hahaha....when loading up after tailgating I had a friend who's job it was to stop people from "helping" load up.
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          Low power? LOW POWER? Forget THAT! Try 200 watts continuous power.
                          Once charged, it'll run for at least 8 hours, 11 if we don't try to strip the bark off the trees.
                          AND we don't see any critters the entire trip! :he:

https://aiwa.co/
                          Buuut...I like (most) critters... got rid of the sound board and entertainment speakers decades ago LOUD really holds little interest for me now (If we want loud someone always has a vehicle with an over powered stereo)..

I have used Cinch Jones connectors on equipment in the past (very old school) never really thought of them for camping (I should get out the Newark catalogue)...Thanx!

One thing that kind of bothers me about the Anderson Power Poles is the silver plated connectors; I have had issues in the past with electromigration of silver from connector terminals when powered continuously ... causing shorts.

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                          These are the speakers I use when camping. They're plugged in to a power strip that gets plugged into the 120v outlet when on shore power or into the Wagan power pack when dry camping. I also have a Zune docking station plugged in to the power strip and that has a remote control - so I keep the volume up on the speakers and then adjust it on the Zune using the remote. Works great and cost me less than the Aiwa including the docking station and the Zune, as well as the docking station and second Zune I use in the cab when driving (heck, even including the 3rd Zune I bring along as a spare and my xboom mini speaker I use when hiking, etc.)... :surprised:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-LS21-Stereo-Speaker-System/dp/B0015C30J0/ref=sr_1_46?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471579255&sr=1-46&keywords=computer+speakers

P.S. I have 7 Zunes - found the 30gb ones new in box on eBay for $50 each, so grabbed six to go along with my one 80gb (that cost a couple hundred). Love my Zunes!!
                          I have looked at these however I have so many audio toys now I hesitate to get more... One of my friends is experimenting with Bluetooth stereo for camping, (got to remember to give him a call to check the status).

Hahaha....when loading up after tailgating I had a friend who's job it was to stop people from "helping" load up.
                          Yeah, its nice to get real help but some people make it more work...

Enjoy!

Comment

Sort of like the girl whose job it was to keep Seinfeld away from the stereo system...
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                              Sort of like the girl whose job it was to keep Seinfeld away from the stereo system...
                              I must admit that I worked nights when Seinfeld was on the air. Never really watched it.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

... Err, em... I have a 3 kilowatt 24 volt inverter (not exactly portable) that would probably do the job.
                                I use 10 gauge speaker wire at home, although I try to keep the subwoofer power in the 100 watt (rms) range; keeps the dry wall seams from opening up.... Have you considered super caps (depends on the length of your transients, and not all that portable either)....(tongue firmly in cheek).

Edit; the inverter on top of the battery is rated at 80 watts, if I recall correctly, but has a problem staying cool if running a 50 watt incandescent (resistive load) bulb.

The cell phone (with memory card) provides a tune source (though not much control)I may change out the remote speakers (next year) for some old weather resistant KLH speakers that I used to use for gaming. (Speaking of gaming my old 8800 GTS 512 video card bit the dust last night.. time to modernize, again, I guess)

...Thanks!
                                I had every thing but the remote in stock... still need to get & install an on/off switch for the control circuit board...

Enjoy!
                                Joe you caught me again being sarcastic. In the house I run Straitwire Octavio speaker cables, they are the size of garden hoses. I run a HSU Research ULS-15 MKII 15" sub, it will resonate the walls of the back of the house if I tune it that way. Mostly it's for home theater and music as it will reproduce a lot of sub-audible tones that you feel rather than hear. Can't see toting subs along for camping as there has to be a limit to the craziness. I have a nice audiophile setup currently driven by an Arcam AVR-350 receiver and Paradigm Reference 100 speakers. Moving forward to add a Paradigm CC-490 center channel this fall. All my "old high-current gear" is in the garage in my lesser system, lol. I don't use soldering in any of my portable gear as it can be an issue to get that iron hot around a campfire, haha.
                                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X