diy bear canisters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diy bear canisters?

As I get ready for spring camping, was thinking I should add a bear canister to my gear.
    Quick look at prices got me thinking.
    How would pvc pipe work as a bear canister?
    Pvc pipe with a cap and screw on lid.
    Maybe a smaller one to carry in pack.
    And a larger one to leave at camp.
    Pvc drain pipes come in large enough sizes
    Is pvc strong enough?
    Does a bear canister have to be odor proof?
    Will be adding loops for ease of hanging away from camp regardless.
    Any other possible ideas for a diy canister?

Re: diy bear canisters?

car camping or backpacking? I was thinking of picking up a job box to put on my atv trailer or in the back of my truck.....maybe something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Jobox-We...ywords=job+box
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I have 50 acres where I am setting up a base camp.
      Camp will be about 1 mile from the car.
      A canister will stay at camp year round, thinking of a smaller canister when backpacking
      At camp thinking of leaving some basic dry goods, like beans/rice etc..

Comment

Certain regions of ny approved bear canisters are required,
        But not where I camp.
        Good idea with bright colors, I was thinking of camo/hiding it, as land borders state lands and to hide it from tresspassers, hooligans, but thinking bright easy to find colors is better.
        Large canister would stay at camp so weight is not an issue.
        I would hang it regardless, but over time things fail. So hanging is not 100% guaranteed will be there when return.

Comment

Do like the elevated platform, something I will consider over the long term.
          As for carrying supplies,
          3 seasons without snow limited to what I can carry in. Land is swampy with thick brush.am working on a wheeled cart as a possibility.
          Any heavy stuff will have to be dragged in snow. Half the distance is over an abanded rail tracks which makes it a little easier.

Comment

"Alone in the Wilderness" is awesome. That guy is my hero.

Comment

I also hang my food, but that is because where I live and most frequently camp has trees for hanging food.

PVC pipe? That would be like a prezel combo snack to a bear. If they can wrap their jaws around it then snap crackle, pop. That is were the big barrel food containers have the advantage - few corners for a bear to chew on, BUT I have seen bears do some savage things to food barrels too.

IMO, the barrels are OK for keeping out racoon, skunks, oppossum, porcupine, coyote, and wolf. If a bear comes into your camp to get your food and he tosses around your food canister, then it is probably time to go home. Bear WILL return if they think they can get a meal and they WILL follow you if they think you have food. The last thing you want is to have your food on your back when Mr. Bear comes back for another go-round with your food canister.

If you want to DYI a food canister for keeping out most other pesks, you can use a food grade 5 gallon pail with a tight fitting lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                I also hang my food, but that is because where I live and most frequently camp has trees for hanging food.

PVC pipe? That would be like a prezel combo snack to a bear. If they can wrap their jaws around it then snap crackle, pop. That is were the big barrel food containers have the advantage - few corners for a bear to chew on, BUT I have seen bears do some savage things to food barrels too.

IMO, the barrels are OK for keeping out racoon, skunks, oppossum, porcupine, coyote, and wolf. If a bear comes into your camp to get your food and he tosses around your food canister, then it is probably time to go home. Bear WILL return if they think they can get a meal and they WILL follow you if they think you have food. The last thing you want is to have your food on your back when Mr. Bear comes back for another go-round with your food canister.

If you want to DYI a food canister for keeping out most other pesks, you can use a food grade 5 gallon pail with a tight fitting lid.
                Your probably right with bear possibly cracking it open if it gets its mouth on it.
                I do still plan on hanging it.
                But since it will be hanging for long term, expect it to fall eventualy.
                Limbs fall, rope breaks, etc....
                Looking to keep stash of food at camp so It will be a little less I have to carry each trip, rice, beans, pasta, coffee, seasonings, etc... All dry stuff.
                Thinking large pvc pipe could be a good storage canister for such.
                When I camp I currently hang my pack with all food/cookware.
                Fine for short term. But for long term bags wear out/rip quickly if left out hanging.
                Since pvc pipe usually comes in min length of 8 ft or so, plan on using the rest as water tanks.
                Can add a spout and makes for a good water supply at camp.
                Also price is very attractive on pvc pipes.
                Quick look, store bought bear canisters go for $50-$100,
                Being the cheapo that I am like to try a pvc canister

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                  I think this is why you see such substantial boxes at campgrounds with thick metal and full welded seams and bolted into concrete pads - there are many periods throughout the year where no one is in these campgrounds. All that beefiness is not because people are using those boxes in a hard way - it's all about the bears relentlessly going after that box day after day when they have the campground to themselves.
                  Guess that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                    Your probably right with bear possibly cracking it open if it gets its mouth on it.
                    I do still plan on hanging it.
                    But since it will be hanging for long term, expect it to fall eventualy.
                    Limbs fall, rope breaks, etc....
                    Looking to keep stash of food at camp so It will be a little less I have to carry each trip, rice, beans, pasta, coffee, seasonings, etc... All dry stuff.
                    Thinking large pvc pipe could be a good storage canister for such.
                    When I camp I currently hang my pack with all food/cookware.
                    Fine for short term. But for long term bags wear out/rip quickly if left out hanging.
                    Since pvc pipe usually comes in min length of 8 ft or so, plan on using the rest as water tanks.
                    Can add a spout and makes for a good water supply at camp.
                    Also price is very attractive on pvc pipes.
                    Quick look, store bought bear canisters go for $50-$100,
                    Being the cheapo that I am like to try a pvc canister
                    I must have missed something in your posts. How long do you plan to hang your food? If it is more than a few days or a week, I agree that hanging is not a good solution. If you have some king of permanent camp, you will want something more substantial. I do remember in the 1970's when the Bob Marshall was a lot less tame than today, some of the cabins had "two-penny nail door mats" in front of the doors and windows to keep the bears out. Maybe you can use something like that.

Know your local mammals. Black bear are more of a nusance. Sure, they can be dangerous, but they are pretty timid. Grizzly/Brown bear are a different story. If they know you have food, they have been known to follow hikers. There are plenty of stories of hikers having their packs ripped off their backs by grizzlies.

Unlike black bear, Grizzlies have a presence. If you see them, you immediately feel an aura of their strength, aggressiveness, and danger. I saw one downstream and across a river stand up and smell the air. I knew he was smelling me. He didn't run or even flinch. The message was clear that I was in HIS territory and not the other way around.

Still, if you see a bear, it is like catching a monster musky - one in a million experience and you can be excited. However, having your camp raided by bears while you are out fishing or hiking is not unusual.

Comment

Working...
                    X