New Member - Looking for thought ideas in customizing utility trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member - Looking for thought ideas in customizing utility trailer

Hello all! I am a tent camper and am looking for ideas on using/customizing a utility trailer to camp easier. Has anybody done this and what would you like to add or wish you wouldn't have that just takes space up on the trailer

Reasons:

It used to be the wife and I throwing a little gear in the back of the truck and taking off. One cooler, one tent, fishing gear, good times. Now I have 3 young kids, 5,5, and 2 and an SUV to haul them all. This requires more gear with less room in the vehicle to pack all of it.

I have a new body Ford Explorer with tow package (5000# capacity but shouldn't get near that). I really don't want to tear it up so packing the dirty/heavy lift stuff on the trailer will keep down wear and tear.

I currently have a boat that I throw this stuff in but am selling the boat and plan to do more activities with the kids.

I don't want to invest more than $3k, would like to stay closer to $1500, in the setup and don't want to invest that in a small, older popup that I don't think will meet my needs and don't want to take on a payment right now of something that will.

Thoughts:

My thoughts are to take a 5x10 (or so) utility trailer that will serve the purpose of hauling sheets of plywood/drywall or an appliance since I don't have a truck anymore as well as put a lockable toolbox on it to keep gear in when camping. I'm thinking kayak or canoe rack on one or both sides, maybe shelves to use to organize at the campsite too, and a bike rack.

Any feedback on optimal locations or any other thoughts on what else would be good on a trailer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: New Member - Looking for thought ideas in customizing utility trailer

The scouts all use enclosed trailers, that way we leave them packed and ready to go. If you keep everything in bins then an open utility trailer would be cheapest.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Johnny. After several months of going back and fourth, I decided to go with a new pop up. I take delivery on a 2013 Rockwood 1940ltd in the next few week. I could not find a trailer that did exactly what I wanted and got into a new PUP much cheaper than I thought I could. I look forward to giving my kids years of family memories and like being able to haul it wherever I want with really no effect on my vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by JustRelax View Post
        I look forward to giving my kids years of family memories......
        That is what camping is all about
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

How's your popup working out? Have you visited the popup explorer site? That's where I got most of my info when we had a popup. Loved it! We're empty nesters now and have switched to an 18' trailer. We have many great memories from the popup days.

Comment

How about filling your boat with camping gear and going camping while bringing your boat too? Keep the boat, skip the camper pop-up. Get a bigger tent and a couple sleeping bags

You are good to go

Comment

Explorer Box

Comment

Mike - That is what we did, load all the gear in the boat. I decided to sell the boat because the kids are really too young to enjoy it. After about an hour they were ready to do something else and there was no relaxing for the wife and me. We would pull the boat in early and do other things around the park. Since I had to load the stuff in the boat and I no longer had it I figured getting a small utility trailer for the gear would be the way to go. Kids add a lot of gear at least in our case. I still liked camping, just not boating.

Aebelskiver - We absolutely love the PUP! I used to primitive camp a lot and backwoods camp occasionally but the last 10 years we've camped at the same 3 campgrounds with electric for battery charging etc. We were camping as a means to be close to the water and just grown tired of it. The kids were the final push to something different. After discussing over the winter with the wife we came to the conclusion that trying to primitive camp with the kids would be rather difficult as well. We settled for a popup and couldn't be happier! We have been to 5 campgrounds this summer that we either have never been to or haven't been in 10 years. The kids absolutely love it and it's not difficult to do multiple activities over the course of the day. We can hike, go to the beach, visit historical sites, explore the nature center, or even go into town and putt putt or ride a go-kart. They still get the camp feel by doing smores at the fire. Most importantly we get to spend family time together without distractions of home. I imagine as the kids get older I'll get the old gear out and show them the solitude of backwoods camping and will probably own a boat again in the future, but for now I couldn't imagine being happier. The wife also appreciates everything being in its place and not digging gear in and out of the SUV just to prepare a meal or change clothes.

I also read the other PUP sites as well. It seems that many that have went to the "darkside" still frequent as well. I would imagine that I have a few years before crossing over but am glad to hear you are still out enjoying yourself in a small hardside. I think that will be the route I go to. Right now I don't see the need for paying to haul around 30' of space. I spend all my time outside anyway.

Comment

JR, I bought a Flippac shell off of the guys at Adventure Trailers and they make some very impressive trailers that you might find some inspiration from when planning out yours. It seems like the surplus military trailers are a great starting point for allot of people that like to craft their own.

Keep us posted!
                  Best wishes,
                  The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

If I didn't have a travel trailer, I'd modify a 4x8 trailer by adding 2' sides, attaching our heavy wood chuck box with all the kitchen stuff inside, add a medium propane tank, decent cooler, a top with bike rack, and load the tent, sleeping bags, fishing poles, inflatable kayak, and other stuff inside. Then I'd keep that trailer loaded and ready for the next trip. Oh, and for my sensitive back, a nice air mattress for sure. If I could make that and give it to my boys upon college graduation, it would be the ultimate gift and maybe a place to stay in our backyard if they can't find a job right away! ��

Comment

Oh, and to that 4x8, I would add a 10x10 popup awning and a water jug for gravity fed sink. There.

Comment

Here is a site that will answer any questions you may have in building a cargo trailer camper www.tntt.com go to the forums and scroll down to cargo trailer conversions. Great site. I am personally considering this now that the wood framework on my $20,000.00 travel trailer has completely rotted out rendering my RV completely useless. In the mean time I am using my 10 x 14 Spring Bar tent to camp and thoroughly enjoying it.

Comment

@JustRelax: you may want to go over to the Expedition Portal. They have a special forum just for expedition trailers. I like the idea of an enclosed cargo trailer with a window installed. You can have RV windows installed for cheap or you can out the window holes yourself. Once you start searching on the Internet, you are going to come across a lot of families and guys like yourself.

There is another forum specific to trailers-Tventuring.

Enclosed trailers are great because they can double as a storage unit when not in use or be used instead of a moving van or pickup truck.

The people on this camping forum have a lot of connections with other forums. Keep asking and posting and you are going to find all the help that you need.

Welcome aboard and happy trails!
                          Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X