DIY Kukri sheath!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Kukri sheath!!!

As you may have seen in other post...the sheath that came with my kukri, was very attractive to animals due to the process by which they tanned the yak skin covering (urine…yeah…I said urine). So, I needed a sheath that would be less appetizing to dogs and, my biggest concern, BEARS. Over the last few days I’ve been looking for a way to sheath my kukri in the DIY fashion. AND…this is the method that I found, tried…and it worked!

PVC piping is thermo-moldable…heat it up to 250 degrees and flatten it between two pieces of wood. Then I ruffed it up with a fine sanding pad and sprayed it with some flat green paint. After that dried, I drilled a couple holes in the top (only on one side) to anchor the 550 cord that makes up the belt loop. I really don’t need thebelt loop because it’ll spend most of its time in the side pocket and under the compression straps on the side of my pack. But, I put one on it any way. I also placed some ranger bands around it (cut from bicycle tubes). They’re TIGHT! Which is good, I’m going to get a MOLE system double magazine pouch for the two small knifes that came with the kukri and a few other items…believe me, those bands ARE NOT MOVING! So, here are some photos…
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Kukri_003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	72486

Name:	Kukri_002.JPG
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	72487

Name:	Kukri_001.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	72488

One thing...I was worried that the 14" curved blade was going to be ruff to get a good fit for, but the pipe that I got was perfect! :D AND, It clicks in like a Kyvex sheath.

BTW...that's a good solid length of 2" wide 100 mile'n hour tape wrapped around the bottom...you never know when you'll need it.
    Last edited by busere; 03-16-2012, 08:42 PM.
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: DIY Kukri sheath!!!

Awesome diy, busere. That thing looks pretty well set for some bushwhacking.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Messed this post up.
      Last edited by busere; 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Ben! Here's the finalized product pics after my trip to the Marine Corp Exchange...

Name:	Kukri_004.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	69464

Name:	Kukri_005.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	69465

The two smaller knives...one is a small skinning knife and the other is a sharpening steel or a striker to go with flint...I have a small sheath that I made from plastic superglued and banded down with ranger bands behind the MOLLE system pouches. I also placed a band over the lower portions of their handles to create a massive amount of tention to keep them in...they stay very well.

Comment

So what exactly did you use for materials for molding the PVC, how did you heat it up, and did you use just a PVC pipe of some size?

Comment

Working...
          X