Alternate uses for an Altoids Tin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate uses for an Altoids Tin

Something else I have been messing around with it Altoids Tins. I have seen a bunch of different uses for them. I have seen them as small tender kits, char cloth cookers, fly tackle boxes/ fishing kits, geocache holders, small sewing kits, air matress patch kits, tent repair kits, people make candles out of them, or use them as a candle holder w/reflective surfaces, make a trioxide fuel kit out of them. With the size and durability of these tins they seem to be limitless. The only down side is the mints themselves aren't that good. The one I currently have is earmarked for a tire repair kit.

Anybody else use these amazing useful tins? Post up and share your ideas/uses.

Re: Alternate uses for an Altoids Tin

Originally posted by shawnbebout View Post
    Something else I have been messing around with it Altoids Tins. I have seen a bunch of different uses for them. I have seen them as small tender kits, char cloth cookers, fly tackle boxes/ fishing kits, geocache holders, small sewing kits, air matress patch kits, tent repair kits, people make candles out of them, or use them as a candle holder w/reflective surfaces, make a trioxide fuel kit out of them. With the size and durability of these tins they seem to be limitless. The only down side is the mints themselves aren't that good. The one I currently have is earmarked for a tire repair kit.

Anybody else use these amazing useful tins? Post up and share your ideas/uses.
    EXACTLY! And the commercials never made me want to buy them, either.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

The only down side is the mints themselves aren't that good.
      +1. No tips to offer 'cus I don't buy them, simply for that reason.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I used to joke that they should branch out into other products, but who would buy "Altlax: The curiously strong laxative."

On this subject though, I just recently asked on Facebork for my friends to save their Altoids tins for me. Also asked them to save any of the really fat aluminum cans (Fosters for instance) for me. I'm also looking to do some DIY projects and experiments.

Little durable containers like that have all sorts of uses for storing small items. The nice thing is with a little spray paint, you can color code them, or paint them flat white and write the contents on with a sharpie.

The only down side is they are not waterproof or rustproof, so I wouldn't use them for geocashing containers. I'd go for a lock-n-lock for those.

Cool thing is if you also do a little leathercraft, you can make custom leather inserts in them for all kinds of custom cases.
        Last edited by Shadow; 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM. Reason: typos
        Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Shadow,
          If you have a recycling center near you, that is a good source for cans, etc. I needed a #10 can for a rocket stove, so I went down and got some out of hte recycling dumpster. Being single it would of took me forever to go through a industrial sized container of anything. Search youtube for altoid tin projects.

Comment

Shadow,
            If you have a recycling center near you, that is a good source for cans, etc. I needed a #10 can for a rocket stove, so I went down and got some out of hte recycling dumpster. Being single it would of took me forever to go through a industrial sized container of anything. Search youtube for altoid tin projects.
            Sadly there isn't much in the way of recycling places around here. The ones they used to have were the ones where you poured the cans in a shredder which would weight them and spit out change based on the weight.

I am sure given a few weeks, someone is going to come up with a few things for me. I might ask on Freecycle too.
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Working...
            X