DIY portable battery pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY portable battery pack

I know some members like using deep cell battery to provide power to recharge cell phones, rechareable batteries etc. I ran across this youtube video and thought I would share, for anyone wanting to make one. This is more of a car camping setup. But I guess if you wanted to tote it along during a hike.

Last edited by shawnbebout; 01-08-2012, 05:05 PM. Reason: better wording

Re: DIY portable battery pack

Nifty little project, but remember deep cycle batteries are much more ideal than using a regular car battery. Car batteries are designed to be constantly recharged while in operation, and hold enough charge to crank a car for a few minutes. Deep cycle batteries are designed to be ran low then recharged.

I do like his project for what it is intended. It would be something nice to stick in the trunk in case you accidentals leave the car lights on, or something while camping and need a jump.

For backpacking though, this would never fly. Solar chargers would be the way to go there. Backpackers judge their gear by weight usually.

Nice thing is though this shows you how you can save money and make some really nifty gear yourself instead of paying for some premade item.

Good post.
    Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
      Nifty little project, but remember deep cycle batteries are much more ideal than using a regular car battery. Car batteries are designed to be constantly recharged while in operation, and hold enough charge to crank a car for a few minutes. Deep cycle batteries are designed to be ran low then recharged.
      Great point!
      Please, somebody, anybody, help my Chicago Bears.

Comment

in his next video where he built a solar charging station for it, he states that he changed it out ot a deep cell marine battery.

Comment

I'm putting together a very similar setup. Have the deep cycle battery, case, 400W inverter with USB socket, etc.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
            I'm putting together a very similar setup. Have the deep cycle battery, case, 400W inverter with USB socket, etc.
            Please post pictures of your project when you are done. Looks like a pretty cool setup if you ask me. Also what do you plan on charging with it, and how long do you think the battery will hold a charge? I also saw a couple of different solar panel charging setup's on youtube, will you be doing any solar charging?

Comment

I have one of Harbor Fright's three-panel solar kits, but that will be strictly for home use, and be added to as time goes. This battery unit will be for a weekend of tent camping in summer, when fans and lights are needed. I'll be able to charge cell phone and small batteries - AA and D cell. I am looking towards getting a netbook computer for traveling too. A realtor buddy loves his, and can do his job by motorcycle at times.
              At this point, I am in the 'learning curve' for portable power, solar, etc. Trying various ideas.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
              X