Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great lightweight frying pan for a buck.(and a pot to boot)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great lightweight frying pan for a buck.(and a pot to boot)

I read on a forum somewhere about Dollar General having non stick frying pans for a dollar. I took a trip down the road and, sure enough, they have them. Now for a dollar, you are getting a thin pan with a handle that is loose, but the non stick survived a round with a scotch brite pad (green one on a sponge for dishes). I had to test it's durability.... I have, or had, a pan I paid $50 for that didn't take my wife's cleaning it.

I removed the useless handle and very carefully removed the stub that was not so spot welded to the side. Be patient and just rock it back and forth to avoid tearing a hole in it. I filed down the sharp leftovers and painted it with stove paint. I added a pot grabber from REI(under $4) and I have a light weight, stowable, non-stick frying pan to go in my pack. Just wanted to spread the word for having a little luxury for homeless prices.

Here's a pic:

Re: Great lightweight frying pan for a buck.(and a pot to boot)

That is sweet! Dollar general down the street from work..guess who's taking a trip?? :D

Last edited by chuckdee; 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Nice work. The diy gear is the best one.
      I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

I like it! I also had bought a folding handled non stick pan from Wal-Mart but it was more than a buck. Around ten bucks I think. I like your though!!
        Happy Trails!

IK

http://www.everything-about-camping.com

Comment

This absolutely IS cool. I just bought a TRAMONTINA 8 IN. NONSTICK PORCELAIN ENAMEL SAUTE PAN for camping that cost me about $10.00. It was a little more than some other Teflon pans, but it is made in Wisconsin, USA, so I was willing to pay more for it.

So far, I LOVE IT. I have been cooking with it at camp and even when I forget the oil and butter, I can still fry eggs and make pancakes.

How is the release property of the Dollar Store pans?

I like your idea of taking off the handle and using a pot grabber. Good thinking.

Comment

Hey Family Camper,

Way to have that spark of ingenuity. I just bought a folding pan for about $9.99, but I kinda wish I knew about this. Thanks for sharing!

-Timberline

Comment

Working...
            X