Hiking/survival staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking/survival staff

I have been kicking around a survival staff/ hiking stick. It is made out of 3/4 x 72" galvanized pipe.There is 100 feet of para cord wrapped on the outside with a flint starter and safety whistle by Gerber. I put an emergency blanket in the bottom and have started to put items in it. In the test tube there are 2 tubes of purification tablets, 1 tube of fishing weights, 3 weighted fishing bobbers, 1 glow stick, 1 sharpie pen, 1 tube of safety pins paper clip and rubber bands. There will also be zip loc bags for the water purification, test tubes of fishing hooks and line, a rooster tail fishing lure. You could also put a bear bell on the stick and I am finding it can be loaded with a good amount survival items. Hope you enjoy. Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Hiking/survival staff

I bet if you try you can get an ipod in there! :cool: Cool cane!
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks, I know they make Off, sunblock and hand sanitizer in the tube size as a pen so they will make it in. I have some larger test tubes coming so I will look at trail mix in a few, I also will make a trip to one of the big stores and go up and down the isle to see what will fit. I will also include a small knife, a couple of bandanas for rescue signal. I am a Cub Scout leader so I am trying to get the kids to think about being prepared for anything. There are always stories of kids getting lost so if they keep the hiking stick with them they also have all the items in them if something happens.

Comment

This is a really cool idea. I bet you could market these things. the only thing I was wondering is if the pipe was really heavy. I can't think of anything lighter except PVC and not sure if that is stiff enough for a walking stick.

Comment

Also, what's that white stuff in the center tubes? Maybe you could add one of those rain ponchos they sell at Walmart that are squished up into a little pocket sized bag? I'm pretty sure it would fit.

Comment

The rod is manageable for an adult but it may get bulky for a child though. I wanted the metal because it could also be used for animal defense or to brace your self on something. The white stuff is those waterproof 2 minute fire tinders. Yeah we are adding more and will update as to total content when finished. I already have another alternative in the works that will cut the galvanized weight in over half. I will get a pipe weight and a loaded weight for reference also. We are going to make a bunch for the Cubs as a gift when the cross over to Boy Scouts. Thanks for the posts
            Last edited by fletchneff; 09-04-2011, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Nice job! Gives me some ideas. Here's a lighter alternative(albeit expensive) to galvanized pipe. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...4&top_cat=1353

They have seamless as well.....for double the price. It'll never break! Again, nice job!

Comment

Looking into aluminum rigid electrical conduit, we used to use it in the plant but I cant remember how flexible it is. I have some being delivered during our next material run next week so we will see. We have a pipe threader so modifying it would be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by fletchneff View Post
                  We are going to make a bunch for the Cubs as a gift when the cross over to Boy Scouts.
                  That's a thoughtful and perfect gift. Those are some very lucky scouts!

Comment

Originally posted by fletchneff View Post
                    The rod is not that manageable for an adult. It may get bulky for a child though. I wanted the metal because it could also be used for animal defense or to brace your self on something. The white stuff is those waterproof 2 minute fire tinders. Yeah we are adding more and will update as to total content when finished. I already have another alternative in the works that will cut the galvanized weight in over half. I will get a pipe weight and a loaded weight for reference also. We are going to make a bunch for the Cubs as a gift when the cross over to Boy Scouts. Thanks for the posts
                    That is the coolest thing! My husband tends to give me a hard time for packing our day packs with various items I that feel we'll need if we are ever lost and end up having to spend the night in the woods.

I have to say, you've given me ideas for more items to pack! My motto is: Better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it.
                    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have come up with a better system using Aluminum tubing. It is rigid and far less on the weight, it runs about $17 for a 10 foot stick at ACE. I was originally looking to cut down on pack weight and add some survival equipment in case of getting lost. We cut our tube to about 72" but it can be adapted to fit anyones height. We also have wrapped para cord down the entire 72" which is about 140' of usable cord.

Comment

Do not use metal.... get caught in a lighting storm and you,ll know why. I went around to painting compenys and got some fiberglass painters exstension poles that are broken most have the thered end broke off . I got mine for free . I used 2 as my flibiygiget poles.

Comment

Working...
                        X