Unusual question? Need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual question? Need advice!

I am new here. Perhaps I could get some input from folks more experienced. My husband and I would like to travel more. We are at the age/situation where we could but if we were to be gone for an extended period of time I would like to bring my dad along. I am his only child and I think he would enjoy some leisurely travel. But we would like separate living quarters. So I had this idea of getting a smallish motor home for my husband and I and then pulling a smallish pull type camper trailer behind for my dad. Has anybody ever done this?! I've never seen it on the highways but was curious if that would be a workable solution or if you all have other ideas? TIA!

Re: Unusual question? Need advice!

Hello Blou.

I've seen class A motor homes pulling a tandem trailer on campsites and the road but no other type of RV.
    'Course doesn't mean other versions don't exist.

Do you want the secondary trailer to have a full kitchen as well?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Would be nice but not necessary. We already have a 2006 Rockwood trailer. We pull it with our suburban so just figured a class b could pull it. We would be buying the pull vehicle. Didn't know if the hitch hookups would be so tight turning would be difficult. Seems like the point of attachment would have to be pretty far back. I know people pull boats but generally turning with those isn't such an issue.
      Appreciate your thoughts NYCgrrl.

Comment

If it's just sleeping quarters, look in to a teardrop trailer. Most tow vehicles, including a "smallish motorhome" wouldn't even know it's back there.

I'm sure my wife has thought of this idea many times, for me, not her father.
        JohnJohn
        ---------
        Forum Admin

Comment

just something to consider if towing another trailer for sleeping,
          have to check with individual campsites if they allow such,
          may have to pay for a second site,
          unless reserved ahead of time, that second site may not be next to your site, might be fine in offseason or midweek, but come busy weekends, you may be seperated, whether that good or bad
          its quite a personal decision how to go about it,
          on the one hand father may agree with being seperate and having his own space,
          on the other hand he may feel like a third wheel pushed aside to the doghouse trailer

Comment

Johnjohn - good suggestion and your comment made me laugh!
            Terasec - good thoughts. Will have to consider those. Great advice here. Thank you all!

Comment

As Terasec points out, many campgrounds have restrictions on what can park in one campsite. Usually, the rule is: one automobile (car, SUV, truck, van) and one RV (trailer, motorhome, truck camper, 5er, popup) per single campsite. This means you can park an SUV and trailer OR a motorhome and car OR a truck and 5er. Usually, you can NOT park a motorhome and trailer in a single campsite. If you can get a double campsite, then you should be OK parking a motorhome and trailer.

The 2nd issue is a matter of towing logistics. I pulled up a 2016 Pleasure Way TS Ascent class B and found these weights:

Dry weight: 7,526lbs
              GVWR: 8,550lbs
              Towing Capacity: 5,000lbs

Using that as a starting point, the RV has a 20 gallon fresh water tank. At approx. 8.33lbs per gallon, that will add 166.6lbs to the dry weight. Add the weight of propane, supplies, people, etc. and you can quickly eat up the 1,024lbs of "carrying capacity" on the RV. The more carrying capacity you utilize for people and stuff, the less you have for the trailer's hitch weight.

Hitch weight is usually estimated at approx. 10% of the GVWR of the trailer. With the pleasure way, the max GVWR for the trailer you could have is 5,000lbs. That means you would need 500lbs available in carrying capacity for the hitch weight. That drops your carrying capacity to 524lbs for water, supplies, people, etc. - 3 adult people will weigh at the low end about 100lbs each (we're talking LOW end) - that reduces your capacity down to 224lbs, minus the weight of the water (166.6lbs) and you will only have around 57lbs for food, chairs, clothing, camping toys, and so on. As the odds are, at least one of you weighs at least 50lbs more than 100lbs, then you have NO weight room to carry gear.

So, to tow a trailer with a class B, you're going to have to look at lightweight trailers - popups, teardrops, and maybe a hybrid. You'd really have to keep the trailer at under 3,000lbs max (less if you want to carry kayaks, bikes, dogs, etc.). At 3,000lbs, you'd have a 300lb hitch weight and that would give you a max of 257lbs for gear using the above numbers. Still cutting it pretty tight.

Probably the best solution would be to get a 450/4500 or 550/5500 truck, a popup truck camper, and a popup/teardrop. This would give you the lightest weight camper and trailer possible with a tow vehicle that should be able to easily handle the weights. I say "should" because it will all depend on what options you get on the truck (those can change the GVWR and towing capacity greatly).

Most class Cs will have less than that - unless you get one of the superduty class Cs (which get expensive and will give you about the same max as the pleasure way). A class A could more likely handle it. However, most class As are big (32ft and more - usually 36+ft). If you are planning on being able to sightsee, you will be limited in parking options with that big of a rig - and with a trailer on the end, you won't be able to tow a car.

As you mention "traveling", that could change things up. RV Parks have different rules than regular campgrounds and the rules are much more varied as most RV parks are privately owned. Also, being able to take your vehicle out sightseeing will be more of a concern (versus parking it at a campground). If sightseeing is more your interest, then you might consider a truck and 5er. You can get a 5er with a separate bedroom with 1/2 bath and often a separate entrance. It won't be completely separate, but it could provide enough privacy to be doable.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Wow toedtoes! I can see I have a lot to learn and that is all extremely helpful. I think from all the comments I'm learning I need to rethink my idea. Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer some valuable input from your knowledge and experience. This is a great forum!

Comment

It is a lot of information. Some forums have what are called "weight police" - posters who will question every towing situation and get bogged down in the numbers game. For most of us, it's a matter of staying within safe limits (don't want to have a trailer pushing the vehicle through a stop) and allowing us to carry our desired gear and not tearing apart the tow vehicle's engine from overwork.

Most motorhomes (especially class As) are built with 2 people in mind. 5ers and trailers are more likely to be configured for families (allowing for some privacy and more than two beds). With either one of those, you could find a floorplan that would provide for a third person, have a separate bedroom, and allow you to easily sightsee (either with the tow vehicle OR a towed car behind the class A). Bunkhouse models may offer a more private sleeping area for the third person in the bunk area, the separate bedroom, and a large living area.

Now, you could do a simple conversion van (no kitchen or bath, just a sleeping area) and a trailer. That would put the water weight and more of the gear weight in the trailer, lessening the amount of carrying capacity needed in the actual van (and allowing more hitch weight). You'd still be sharing the kitchen and bath, but would have separate "buildings" for sleeping privacy.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Sounds like a major PITA. There is "Possible" and there is "Practical". You are probably better off staying at hotels and making day trips to parks.

Comment

We usually travel with a 10x10 screen room or an 8x8 sunshade. Both can have panels attached for a bit of privacy. I travel with a lightweight cot and often chill out there surfing, reading, or napping.
                      - Laura
                      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
                      X