• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campstove made out of a coke can....

idea for a backpacking stove! and light... check it out... kind of cool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt8mNOP2b0
    Has anyone ever built one?

-K

Last edited by xckail; 02-23-2011, 04:49 PM.

Re: Campstove made out of a coke can....

Well, I haven't done this but I have boiled water in a soda can. His design seemed sound, no complaints here. I'd try it if I had any alcohol lying around. (as an aside, anyone tried this with rubbing alcohol?)

Comment

I had a camping buddy years ago who did this - it really did work! Look in the paint & solvents section of the department store for the 'higher octane' alky to fuel it. Rubbing alky CAN work, but is simply not as efficient and smokes.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Yes.. These work! I've used them. When we went to Tasmania last year, we didn't bother taking a stove. We just found a couple of soda cans laying around and made our "stove". If we ever made one and it didn't work? Just find a couple more cans and do it again!
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Well I tried this last week and it more tricky than what I thought; it didn't quite work out as planned... ha ha I am gonna give it a second go and see how it works... I think the holes I poked around the rim were too big... But I used"denatured alcohol" for the fuel.. which was really cheap and can be found with the paint...
          I also found another plan where you fill a can (a small paint can or like a stain can works well) with cotton balls and then fill with the denatured alcohol... it's just like a can of chaffing fuel can but a lot cheaper!

Comment

There are several sites, dealing with ultri-light backpacking, which have links to these coke can stoves and how to make them. We have a thumb tack, with a very fat "head". The fat head is so we have a cushion while poking the holes in the can. This kind of stove does work, and I use denatured alcohol as a fuel. If you can't locate a site, let me know and I will send you a couple.
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Originally posted by xckail View Post
              I also found another plan where you fill a can (a small paint can or like a stain can works well) with cotton balls and then fill with the denatured alcohol... it's just like a can of chaffing fuel can but a lot cheaper!
              I watched a video like that too but the guy used toilet paper instead. He just removed the cardboard roll and compressed the toilet paper really tight and stuffed it inside the the paint can. Using the TP like that as a wick seems like it would last a long time.
              May you always have love to share,
              Health to spare
              And friends that care.

Comment

Ya, my pals and I were really into alcohol stoves for awhile. We bought them. We made them. Fun.

If you are looking for cheap alcohol fuel, get HEET at your local automotive store. If you time it right, you can get them for under $1.00/bottle.

The shortcoming of these homemade can alcohol stoves and most alcohol stoves is the inability to control the flame. Also, it just seems to take a lot more fuel to cook with alchohol than it does with liquid white gas.

But, you know, what the heck. The beer can alchohol stoves are fun.

When you are done with that, check out the DIY solid fuel stoves like hobo stoves that burn twigs and pine cones.

I just saw a pocket sized folding stove that my friend made from sheet metal. He got the plans from an old backpacking magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  If you are looking for cheap alcohol fuel, get HEET at your local automotive store. If you time it right, you can get them for under $1.00/bottle.
                  You want the YELLOW bottle of HEET... this is what I use in my alcohol stove.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  The shortcoming of these homemade can alcohol stoves and most alcohol stoves is the inability to control the flame.
                  I use alcohol stove to boil water, and match the pot to the stove/flame for efficiency... Mike is correct, little to no flame control.
                  Phil
                  Group: Canvas
                  Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
                  Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

I made one out of an old alununum water bottle, as a rainy day project.
                    It's a cool simple project, but I can't see myself replacing this for my nova.
                    Like Phil_R said you have no control...

Comment

Working...
                    X