Natural Meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Meals

The most handy food you can have while backpacking is the food mother nature provides you. It's everywhere and more abundant than most realize. With a little education and knowledge on wild edibles you can have a full meal without packing any food at all!

As an example, over most of the North American continent you can find fresh water lobster; also known as crawdads, or creyfish. They tend to dwell in shallow waters usually taking residence under rocks or in protected areas from view of predators. Easiest way to gather them is just to flip rocks and snatch them as they try to escape. Gather 4 or 5 of these and boil them up for a fresh water lobster dinner.
    Complimented with different wild edibles; i.e.: Wild Cucumber, Sorel, Chickweed, Chicory, Acorns, and Morel Mushrooms, you can have a decent meal quicker than you think. Wash it all down and get the chills off your bones with a hot cup of pine needle tea. (Actually very satisfying and packed with Vitamin C).

Chickweed

Morel Mushrooms (my favorite)

Sorrel

Wild Cucumber

Pine Needle Tea (High in antioxidants and vitamin C)

Now if this all seems like too much of a hassle to some of you I would have to agree. Packing your food in and packing your waste out is the most comfortable and fail safe way to enjoy your camping adventure which is exactly why knoweledge of wild edibles and non edibles is crucial before planning a roughneck, live off the land trip...but let me tell you its an exhilerating experience and really puts you in tune with yourself as well as making you appreciate all that we overlook and take for granted on this earth.
    Last edited by Waterfowler84; 01-16-2010, 06:57 AM.
    "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
    sigpic

Live Wild Edibles

Fresh Water Lobster (Crawdaddys)

Snail (Escargot)

Rainbow Trout (or any other fish)

Fish Eggs (Caviar) *Very high in protein*
    sigpic

Comment

On one of my backpacks this last summer, I did an "out and back". About 2 miles out on the trailhead I came across a patch of thimbleberries, not ready to eat. On my return, 5 days later, it was almost humbling to see the ripe berries. The first thing I did was to check to see if any had been eaten........... Bears........... but nothing had been touched. So, I picked a couple of cups of them and enjoyed. Oh, what a nice reward for 5 days out on the trail.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Oh, yes............. Finding some morel mushrooms is cause for a "break", change of plans for dinner, and knowing a great meal is waiting to be picked. Wow, they are good eatin'!
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Morels are abundant here in Nebraska and come spring time its a zoo along the rivers early on and then in the hills later in the spring. You almost have to get out when there is just enough daylight to see them or you will miss out and come across several picked stems where morel patches were.

If you ever come across another source of thimbleberries I reccommend setting enough aside to make some 100% natural juice. Hydrating and a real treat on the trails when taking a rest. Boil up some water and leach the juice out of the berries. After boiling for a lilttle bit the berries turn into a kind of mushy slurry that you can scoop out pretty well. After the juice cools you can take it along and enjoy it on the trail.

Anyone else incorporate wild edibles with their meals or even had a wild meal?

Thanks for sharing Eaglebait!!
          Last edited by Waterfowler84; 01-22-2010, 11:46 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfowler84 View Post
            If you ever come across another source of thimbleberries I reccommend setting enough aside to make some 100% natural juice. Hydrating and a real treat on the trails when taking a rest. Boil up some water and leach the juice out of the berries. After boiling for a lilttle bit the berries turn into a kind of mushy slurry that you can scoop out pretty well. After the juice cools you can take it along and enjoy it on the trail.
            There are a few places along the PCT, in Nor. Cal and So. Ore, where I know there are a few bushes of thimbleberries. I am envious you folks there seem to have such an abundance. To give you an idea, I haven't seen a patch big enough to gather and make into juice. But, I will not forget.......... just in case.

About 5 years ago, there was a controlled burn on the BLM land next to our property. The next season we found morels all over the fire scarred areas. But, that was the end of that source.
            Chuck
            So. Oregon

Comment

We have wild blueberries and raspberries here in the South East, and they are excellent when ripe! BUT.... be careful - the black bears like them too!
              A lemony 'tea' can be steeped from the ever-present Spanish Moss, as well as from Pine Needles.
              The pithy inside of "Skunk Cabbage" can be eaten.
              Of course, we have that always popular salad item, Dandelion Greens.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                Dandelion Greens.
                Always plentiful and packed full of vitamins.
                sigpic

Comment

Man, I wish the desert was as abundant as your neck of the woods are! Here, you can't cut a barrel cactus for water without a hefty fine...but if nobody knows and you're staring for water that's about the best that I can say. Have caught a few snakes, tastes like chicken, and on rare occassions I've eaten ants. But out here it's; only the wise survive...so you gotta carry food & water. So much to learn, thanks for sharing! Great thread!
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                  X