Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for the Trail

Howdy,
    This is just some of the food I'd pack for either a day hike or even for an extended trip into the remote wildernss, I'm just sharing info and nothing is wrtiien in stone. Your needs may be more complex than mine, although lately with a "Baker's Cyst" behind my left knee(I use a brace), my hiking has been limited. Thanks for looking just the same.

Lunch and Snacks (2 zip lock bags per lunch)
    • Bagels
    • Crackers
    • Peanut butter and jelly
    • Cheese (pick a durable kind like gouda, cheddar, Laughing Cow)
    • Hummus
    • Granola, trail mix, or nuts
    • Tortillas
    • Fresh veggies: baby carrots, celery, green pepper, etc.
    • Dried fruit. Fresh fruit is an option, but it's can be heavy.
    • Candy bars or cookies
    • Energy bars (e.g. powerbars, cliff bars)
    Feel motivated to add to this list, please do; it's a forum anyway!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Food on the rail

I think Vegas.... has it all right. There isn't anything there I wouldn't take to eat on the trail. I like things a bit lighter in weight, so the veggies which go in my saddle packs are home-dried and re-constituted as I pound trail or sleep at night.

The important thing is to take what YOU like and will eat on the trail. If you like flavored coffees and/or teas, for gosh sakes put them in your packs. As much of a "weight watcher" as I am, even when my llama is carryin' the load, I find room for some brandy, to top of a successful day's trail pounding.

I ALWAYS have with me one of those small wrapped bars (5 pieces) of Dove Dark Chocolate which i use to reward myself when I do something during the day where I need to reward myself (making it to the top of a very steep, long, boring climb.

See ya on the trail...
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
    X