Cooking utensils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking utensils

What type of cooking utensils do you carry in your backpack. I like cast iron frying pans and skillets but they maybe alitle heavy to carry on the trail. I see some cooking kits that have pots and pans and mugs that all fit together and take up little room.

When I'm backpacking or even just going on a day hike, a hot meal is always best. I use a 1lb coffee can to do all my cooking in. I've punched two holes near the top on either side and attached a metal clothes hanger to take the can off the fire(either campfire or propane). Very simple.

If I have a pack animal along which is seldom then a cast iron dutch oven goes with. Most of my weight is in camera equipment and a tripod.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I carry a GI canteen with nested stainless steel canteen cup and a plastic spork.
      If I am using the freeze-dried MH meals, I use the steel cup only to heat the water. Toss the packaging into the fire - no muss, no fuss!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Backpacking kitchen

I have taken a small coffee can, a pie cooling rack, and a plastic pill bottle w/matches. On the outside of the pill bottle, I glue a "striker strip" off of a box of matches (in case there is nothing around to strike a match on. I dig a fist size hole in the dirt, build up the sides of the hole with golf ball size rocks, build a fire....... 10 minutes later I am ready to cook.

I also carry a French press, insulated mug for making coffee, a Tupperware drinking glass w/lid (for re-hydrating my next meal), and a plastic spoon I gather from some fast food place.

When I am through cooking, I toss the rocks, and cover over my coals - leaving no trace where I cooked.

I also have a MSR featherlight one burner stove I sometimes take (leave the pie cooling rack at home).

See ya on the trail.
        Last edited by Eaglebait Ranch; 01-30-2010, 04:54 PM.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
        X