• columbia featherlight?

I had some credit to use so picked up a Columbia shirt
    I am usually not one for name brands or this modern fabric stuff
    discount shopper
    but am intrigued by this shirt for summer camping
    recently received it haven't tried it yet
    it is incredibly thin and light weight is 3.2 oz
    folds up very small and light, great for backpacking
    feels good , with long sleeves will be a nice summer shirt , keep the bugs and sun off, and should dry quickly
    Anyone have experience with such?
    I didn't pay the $100 list price,
    sale price $39
    https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Col.../1654401_021_f

Last edited by terasec; 03-07-2018, 12:29 PM.

Re: columbia featherlight?

Nice shirt!

No experience with that particular shirt, but Columbia makes decent stuff (I use daily a Columbia Down Parka with a "heat reflective" metallic surface interior---you'd think it was a gimmick...but it works very well. Warmest coat I own.)

I love natural fabrics (wool, silk, even cotton-gasp! has a place at my campsite--sometimes)...but I make use of synthetics when appropriate or needed (like the ability to dry quickly...to insulate when wet, etc.)

I have similar wear as your Columbia shirt (light but long sleeve-quick dry modern fabrics). As long as you have a good fit, I think you'll enjoy wearing it for all of the reasons you listed. Bonus: it really doesn't shrink over repeated washings (generally gotta be careful with the natural fabrics). You can also quickly and easily "rinse" it out as needed when on extended camping trips.

Con: I've found that the natural fabrics are better at masking normal daily body odors longer...the poly and nylons tend to "stink" quicker (I'm talking more than a day of wear-lol)---but because of the ability to dry quickly...it's easy to "rinse" it out as needed.

If you really want to beef up the insect protection, I would wash it with Sawyer Permethrin (or similar product).
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Re: columbia featherlight?

No experience with this one either, but I do like very light, quick dry fabrics for hiking in MS. Also for collecting in the streams. I don't much like being wet for long periods.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
      X