Multi function tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi function tools

So in the interest of saving weight and gaining knowledge from everyone, Which multipurpose tools do you like to use? I don't strictly mean "leatherman" when I say multi purpose tool. It can be anything for any task you have in the outdoors. I want to hear some suggestions so I can add to my own pack.
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Multi function tools

I'm almost sorry you brought this up. I went searching online to find a picture of my What-A-Saw only to find they're not made anymore. It's a three bladed, foldup aluminum saw with 21 inch wood, metal and meat blades that store in the handle. Not a whole lot of "multi" in that, but I definitely love the different blades. There's a single blade version now made by Coghlan's that's obviously the same frame, but 1) I don't know if it still has the thumbscrew that keeps the now single blade from rattling when it's folded up and 2) the part that bothers me now - I'm not sure the metal and blades are available anymore. Preliminary searches haven't turned any up yet.

All that to say, even if it doesn't qualify as a multi-tool anymore because of the single blade, I'd still carry one in a pack. I carried it while backpacking and still love it for being small and lightweight in the camping tool box.

Now back to the search for the metal blade...

Comment

I apologize for sparking the lengthy search for the blade, but I do appreciate you telling me. Always looking for new hobbies, and fun new toys to buy to make the wife's eyes roll!

Anybody else? Anything other multitools that are fun/ useful to have?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearspoke View Post
        I apologize for sparking the lengthy search for the blade...
        Yeah - it was real painful to have to go look at a bunch of tool and camping sites. Sheer torture, I tell you - TORTURE! :mdr:

Comment

Haha, (in boston accent) ooohhh gawwd, I'm terrrrible!

Comment

My GoTo Multi-tool????????

I have a great one. With it, I can get to the campground, sleep, cook, pee, stay out of the rain, carry my gear, store my food, protect the dogs and bird, and when needed, it provides sleeping quarters for a friend.
            Attached Files
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Couldn't resist that one.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Lol brilliant response! Something tells me I would have to get a bigger pack to fit that multi-tool in...

Comment

Ah, but that's one of the tricks with this multi-tool - it carries YOU AND YOUR PACK instead you and your pack carrying it!

Comment

Probably the best multi tool of all time is an axe.

Comment

Oh yeah I always carry an axe on my pack. Axes can be used for a lot of things and things get tricky if you forget to bring one. Do you carry a full size axe on your pack or do you have a hatchet or mini axe that you carry?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearspoke View Post
                        Oh yeah I always carry an axe on my pack. Axes can be used for a lot of things and things get tricky if you forget to bring one. Do you carry a full size axe on your pack or do you have a hatchet or mini axe that you carry?
                        I use what is known as a Hudson Bay axe. 2.5 lb head and a medium length handle. Anything less than a full size 3 lb head and full length handle is a compromise, but the Hudson Bay seems the right compromise for the things I do like backpacking and canoeing. If you camp exclusively by car, go with a full size axe.

Most folks do not understand all the uses for an axe beyond chopping wood and pounding tent stakes. A good axe can have a sharp edge nearly like a knife. So the axe can substitute for a knife, but a knife cannot substitute for an axe. A good axe can produce another axe handle from a tree and the axe is the one single tool you need to build a canoe from scratch.
                        Last edited by Mike; 01-11-2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Mike. I've been looking for an axe that was a bit bigger than what I've been using, but still small enough to be tied into my pack. The Hudson bay axe looks perfect! And you are definitely right about being able to fix your tools with things you can find around camp or in the forest. A broken tool doesn't do much for you and something that can be repaired in the field only adds to it's value as something to include in a weight managed pack.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            I'm almost sorry you brought this up. I went searching online to find a picture of my What-A-Saw only to find they're not made anymore. It's a three bladed, foldup aluminum saw with 21 inch wood, metal and meat blades that store in the handle. Not a whole lot of "multi" in that, but I definitely love the different blades. There's a single blade version now made by Coghlan's that's obviously the same frame, but 1) I don't know if it still has the thumbscrew that keeps the now single blade from rattling when it's folded up and 2) the part that bothers me now - I'm not sure the metal and blades are available anymore. Preliminary searches haven't turned any up yet.

All that to say, even if it doesn't qualify as a multi-tool anymore because of the single blade, I'd still carry one in a pack. I carried it while backpacking and still love it for being small and lightweight in the camping tool box.

Now back to the search for the metal blade...
                            This saw looks a lot like the Sven Saw. see here: http://www.svensaw.com/ Only about $35 if you're looking to upgrade.

I use a hand chainsaw (one of those cheap $5 "survival" ones). It needed better handles but otherwise cuts through wood like butter. I purchased it as a novelty but it is now the only saw I bring. I find I am making campfires less and less often during the summer months, when I'd rather be out exploring or fishing rather than hanging about at camp (PLUS the mosquitoes are awful, so if I am in camp I am in my tent or a bug screen shelter). The hand chainsaw is a length of chainsaw chain that bundles up and goes in a small pouch at the bottom of my bag in case I need it. The only problem I have encountered is that it snags pretty hard on rotten wood (I've found deadfall trees where the bark is rotten but the heartwood is still good, in this case just knock or peel the rot off and no problems!)

Comment

Regarding actual 'multi-tools', I have bought several over the years, but never the brand name high dollar tools. Just cannot justify the expense for something I just don't carry often. I carry a good stout pocket knife, usually in a belt pouch, every day. I use it every day.
                              Tried the smaller Swiss Army style - but they just do not work out.
                              Have some that have good usable knife blades of a decent steel, and some fairly useful additional blades - bone saw, fish hook remover, can opener. But I have yet to find a can opener on a multi-tool that works a fraction as well as the good old GI P38. I can have a can open in seconds with the P38, while the best multi-tool can opener takes many minutes of struggling and cussing to get it to sorta work, and it makes a mess of the can edge.
                              Most cheap multi-tools use a pathetic 'kitchen knife' type steel that simply cannot take an edge. A dull knife is a dangerous and useless knife! Most multi-tools are poorly shaped for cutting too. Epoxy a cheapo blade onto a small brick, it would work as well.
                              Which is why I still carry a pocket knife, and the P38 in my wallet.
                              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X