BBQ grill that can fit into a 13 inch tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ grill that can fit into a 13 inch tube

After a few backpacking trips into the mountains, I was trying to think of a creative way to BBQ the freshly caught fish without having to use just Tin Foil. There is this amazing BBQ that can fit into a 13 inch tube... check it out: http://gearhungry.com/2014/04/uco-gr...ing-grill.html

Does anyone else have fun minimized items that are wonderful to bring on backpacking trips?
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: BBQ grill that can fit into a 13 inch tube

That looks so cool. Alas, the user reviews on Amazon are not promising.

Comment

You can get a wire cookie cooling rack for a buck at Dollar Tree. Weighs less, cheaper, more stable

Comment

They weren't around when I was backpacking, but Nite-ize gear ties have become one of my gotta haves for car camping. I could easily see them on the trail.

Comment

I use something similar to this
          Folds small and flat packs easily
          Use it all the time
          http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OP..._1417967230728

Comment

http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm

I haven't used one buy a buddy of mine loves his.

Comment

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I prefer the setups that can be easily compacted for packing purposes. Although I will definitely keep in mind the dollar store tip for my large camping box.

Comment

Here is one. It's called the Core 4. It's made out of titanium. It breaks down flat and weighs less than a pound. You can use wood, pellets, solid fuel or an alcohol can. If you look at the ad, you will see that one of the provided grills will double as spear tips, fishing hooks etc.... It basically works like a blast furnace. There all kinds of way to configure it.

http://shop.mysurvivalpack.com/core-4-stove-ultimate-ti

Comment

I use the smallest NiteIze gear ties on my car camping tents, one at each guyline point. When I break camp, I roll up the guyline and attach it to the tent with the gear tie. All neat and tidy to set up the next time out.

The little Velcro cable ties are good for that sort of thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearspoke View Post
                    After a few backpacking trips into the mountains, I was trying to think of a creative way to BBQ the freshly caught fish without having to use just Tin Foil. There is this amazing BBQ that can fit into a 13 inch tube... check it out: http://gearhungry.com/2014/04/uco-gr...ing-grill.html

Does anyone else have fun minimized items that are wonderful to bring on backpacking trips?
                    I saw this on Amazon this past summer while looking for a packable grill. I was drawn to the small pack-down size (cool!!!), but ultimately took a pass because it appeared to require a lot of fiddling to get set up and weighed quite a bit (esp for backpacking imo - 1.25 lbs). But everyone allocates item weight vs item importance differently when it comes to carrying. If you do elect to get this grill, please come back after use and give us a rundown/your opinion of it.

Great suggestions here everyone!

coloradowalt - Pricey....but man, those are some nice lightweight grills!!!

MacGyver & hwc - I use the velcro strips to secure lines for storage, along with many other uses...glad you mentioned them. I could see the NiteIze gear ties performing many of those same functions. Handy things to have around.
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gearspoke View Post
                      Thank you for all of the suggestions! I prefer the setups that can be easily compacted for packing purposes. Although I will definitely keep in mind the dollar store tip for my large camping box.
                      My suggestion is to buy every camping gadget possible. Why not?? A few decades later, you can give the stuf away to young enthusiasts who dig the cool old-school gear barely used.

Another idea for easy to pack cooking racks is to bring some long nails with you. Pound them into the ground in the middle of the fire. Put your pots on the nail heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        My suggestion is to buy every camping gadget possible. Why not?? A few decades later, you can give the stuf away to young enthusiasts who dig the cool old-school gear barely used.

Another idea for easy to pack cooking racks is to bring some long nails with you. Pound them into the ground in the middle of the fire. Put your pots on the nail heads.
                        Genius!!

Comment

Working...
                        X