Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started learning and acquiring gear

Hey everyone,

My name is Alex, new to this forum and to backpacking. I've done plenty of car camping and have even lived in tents temporarily, but haven't done any backpacking or backcountry camping. This is the year I want that to change.

For now I'm trying to read as much as I can in books as well as on these forums. I didn't do scouts or anything as a kid so there is plenty to learn. If there are any resources you could throw my way that would be great!

I'm also looking to acquire gear in the next few months. First up is a backpack and after some research and a bad experience with internal frame packs (mostly hate how they rest right against my body and how the weight distribution feels) I'm thinking of going with an external frame- probably hopefully something like a kelty tioga secondhand off ebay to save some money.

As for tents- I'm looking into a few options and hoping to get some feedback. I want something light but rugged, as I don't want to feel limited in the types of trips I'm going to take. I'll probably mostly be using it spring/summer/fall but I definitely want to tackle winter camping at some point. I'm a HUGE fan of winter- it's my favourite season (its just a matter of finding people to join me who don't think I'm 'crazy' for wanting to sleep outside in the winter). So I'm thinking maybe I should try to convince myself to just invest in a solid four season tent right off the bat, if I can get over the price hurdle.

So far I'm thinking I want a non freestanding tent, and it has to be two person. Two of the tents that have caught my eye are the tarptent double rainbow, which is the less adaptable but more affordable option. I've seen has gotten rave reviews and is very reasonably priced- not four season but the price might make up for that. The other one I really like is the hilleberg nallo 2- for some reason I'm just a huge fan of the tunnel style tents (the tent I have now is a crappy department store dome tent). That tent is super pricey, but its four season and looks extremely well made.

Any feedback or guidance on any of this would be much appreciated!

Re: getting started learning and acquiring gear

Skip the four season tent. THey are overkill for most people. Like owning a 4WD, and driving it mostly on paved roads. You can use a three-season tent in winter, but a four season tent in summer is miserable. In fact, a true four-season tent is really a one-season tent = a winter tent.

I regularly winter camp with temps as low as -30 F with a three-season tent. If you like to winter camp, put your money into your sleeping system - especially your sleeping pad. If you have a good enough sleeping system and you winter camp in dry-cold conditions with snow, you don't really need a tent. Snow trenches are warmer than tents and just as easy to set up as a tent. (note I said snow TRENCH, not snow cave. IMO, snow caves are dangerous and too much work)

Comment

Working...
    X