New to backpacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to backpacking

Went out for a "practice" hike today to get a feel for lugging around the gear. Being new to backpacking, I'm not positive I have my pack fitted right to me. About a mile into my 5.3 miles I starting to feel some discomfort in my right, upper back. According to the employee at REI, I should carry my pack with the waist strap across my hips. I feel more comfortable with it above my hip bones but fitted it as I was advised for today's hike. I'm thinking of trying to wear it a bit higher to see if I can place more weight on my hips to see if it helps the upper back pain. I'm not sure if this is a good/bad move and also not sure if I don't just need to keep pushing through and maybe just need to get used to carrying the extra weight. Any advise would be appreciated.

Re: New to backpacking

People don't fit molds. Just because it's common practice to do things a certain way doesn't mean that way works for you. I had a hard time finding a pack that worked for me because I have scoliosis. My upper back, especially between my shoulder blades, burned like hell until I did what you're thinking about - letting the pack rest more on top of the hips. It could also just be that you started out with too much weight. Practice runs with a lighter load certainly couldn't hurt.

The fact that you felt discomfort on one side of your back makes me think you either had a seriously unbalanced load or, like me, it's possible you've got some curvature of the spine. (No - not a doctor! Just speculation.) But, if you do have back issues, there are two things I can recommend beyond that. First is to become an "ounce counter", trying to keep your pack as light as possible. Second would be to camp with enough people that will allow you to distribute the weight of the gear you need.

Comment

I agree with MacGyver. Every body is very different. Start with Mac's tip about packing light. Last summer, I went on a week long back packing trip. I bought an ultra light back pack from REI and I weighed everything-everything! I have curvature of the spine (scoliosis) that I inherited from my mother. Backpacking with a heavy load always caused a lot of pain in my back. Not last summer. No pain at all. I got everything down to 35 pounds. Food was the lions share of the weight.

How light is your pack? Your sleeping bag? Tent? Cooking gear? Food?

Do you use a walking stick? I used one for the first time this summer and I will never backpack without a stick again. It was worth the weight as it helped keep me stable on difficult terrain and it is supposed to make you more efficient at walking.

I have battled plantar fasciitis and I need to travel light when hiking and backpacking.

Here is another tip that most people don't know or are very mis informed on-wear light shoes. If you don't have a heavy load on your back, you don't need super supportive boots. An ounce on your feet is equivalent to a pound on your back. I learned this while competing in track and cross country. We always raced without socks. The weight of your shoes will be felt on your back.

Last summer, I backpacked nearly 50 miles in Merrel Trail gloves without socks. My buddy had these heavy boots weighing at least a pound each and he argued with me about why supportive boots are safer. I smiled and knew that packing 20 less than him was probably safer even though I was basically backpacking in near bare feet.

Keep in mind that no matter what, if you have not hiked with a pack in a long time, you will experience some pain. It's the nature of the beast. Your body needs to get used to the extra load.

This is my basic set up:

Here is all my gear that I used for a 5 day trip. My gear is on the left. My buddy's gear on the right.

This is day 4 packing with a light load @11,000 feet.

Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I was carrying 21.2 lbs total, including the pack. My pack was unbalanced which probably explains the discomfort on only one side of my back. Also, I was wearing pretty heavy boots (my hunting boots) 2.4 lbs each and had no walking stick(s). It sounds like I have some adjustments to make.

Comment

21.2 pounds! Amazing. Try hiking with a regular pair of running shoes. You are da-man! Stick all the heavy stuff on the bottom.
          sigpic

Comment

If you've never really looked at them and you go to buy a pair of walking sticks, don't get sticker shock. Good ones cost a pretty penny, but they're priceless on the trail. Adjustable sticks allow you to go up steep hills with amazing ease, and steep downhills aren't so treacherous.

Comment

I'm not that good markkee! The 21.2 was without any food. I figured it was good for a practice run though. Thanks for the tip on the poles MacGyver. I haven't looked at them and have been trying to focus my $ where it really counts.

Comment

Get the walking sticks and you will never regret it. It's a one time expense unless you loose one. I only used one on my last trip. Next time I will get two. We bought a set at REI and another at Walmart.
                sigpic

Comment

markkee - How are those sticks from Walmart holding up? My ancient Leki's aren't dead yet but I'm always on the lookout for replacements if I ever need something. I've seen 'em at Wally's but I'm always suspicious of the quality of just about anything they carry.

Comment

MacGyver-The sticks from Walmart are 5 years old and are still holding out fine. If we were going to use them as tent poles like some ultra light packers do, then I would buy a premium brand. The sticks are my wife's. When I buy my own sticks, I am going to REI as the guarantee is much better.
                    sigpic

Comment

I was just reading the book Backcountry Camping by Bill Riviere 1972. Riviera is an old school camper who started writing in the 1950s. Even then decades before lightweight gear, Riviere said that a backpack with gear should weigh not more than 35 lbs. Personally, I have never had that light a load.

Muling for my family, I have even carried packs as heavy as 105 lbs. That is a challenge.

I do agree with putting as much weight as possible on you hips. It ends up there anyway, so it doesn't make sense putting the weight on your shoulders if you have a good hip belt. Usually, I adjust so that as much weight as possible is on my hips so that the shoulder straps just hold the pack to my back and the pack does not tumble backwards. There is almost no weight transferred from the pack to my shoulders.

Of course, hauling a lot of weight requires good balance of the stuff inside the pack. However, you should be able to adjust an unbalanced pack to a great degree by adjusting the shoulder straps. This includes tensioning the shoulder straps length as well as the straps that pull the pack distance from the shoulder to the pack.

There are several schools of thought as to how the weight is loaded in the pack. Some say the weight should be high in the pack and close to the back. Personally, I have always loaded the weight as low as possible. This is particularly useful if you slip or take a fall. Top heavy packs tend to throw you off balance and a top heavy pack will face plant you into the ground if you trip and fall.

Hopefully your pack fits you well. Keep in mind that many folks have carried lots of weight great distances with far less quality gear than you are using now.

You might consider experimenting with a tump line. You can sling one from your forehead and down around the bottom of your pack and still wear your pack as normal. You will be amazed how much weight this will seem to releive from your body. Centuries of haulers have carried hundreds of lbs as much as 30 miles a day with tump lines. I wouldn't want to do that, but it has been done.

Good to have you on board as a new backpacker!
                      Last edited by Mike; 01-05-2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Crikey, are you packing a Kodiak? :-P Not to mention the cast iron dutch oven!!
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I agree with staying at 35 pounds or less. If I was going on a 2 week packing trip, it would be heavier as I need a lot of food. I have lost weight on every back packing trip even though I consume large amounts of food.

Staying at 35 pounds or less is about the same weight as a police patrol officer wears on a daily basis. I work for a PD (not as a cop) and I see more injuries from carrying too much equipment than from getting into fights.

Keep your weight light and I bet the injuries will be less.
                          sigpic

Comment

For new hiking, I think I'd start with a lighter pack or less than 5 miles. There is a definite "getting in hiking shape". Really best to stop before it hurts...

Being patient with the first few hikes will give you a chance to fine-tune the fit of the pack, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              Crikey, are you packing a Kodiak? :-P Not to mention the cast iron dutch oven!!
                              The times my pack has been really heavy include when I hiked the Continental Divide and we had to carry several weeks of food and gear with us. Other times are usually when I am carrying most of the gear for my family with young kids. Also, before I used a sled for winter camping, I used a backpack and those packs would be heavier because of the extra clothes, fuel, gear, etc

The fewer people you camp with, the more weight each person has to carry. I always thought the ideal group size was four people Or traveling in groups of pods of four. Four people to share a tent, and cooking pots/stoves feed four people well.

The solo backpacker will find it challenging to get weight down to 35 lbs and still carry all that is needed for safety and comfort. I know some guys that go super light for a day or so, then it rains hard and they pack up and go home

For me, being prepared means leaving the car at the trailhead IN THE RAIN and doing it with confidence

Comment

Working...
                              X