Bush Pot & Imberlit Stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Pot & Imberlit Stove

Bush Pot steaming away on Imberlit (USA) wood burning stove. A single deadfall branch, about thumb diameter, provides all the fuel needed for a near smokeless fire. Bush Pot / Billy is an eight cup, (2 quart) anodized aluminum pot with bail and handles. The bail and handles (steel) stay cool enough for bare hands when using the Imberlit stove, aluminum lid is usefully tight, stays on if you drop the pot. This billy-can is patterned after one favored by Canadian Bush-Crafter Mors Kochanski, and is made in USA.

My Imberlit stove is stainless steel, but it is available in titanium. I don't eschew all light-weight gear, cook kit contains a pair of Light My Fire Titanium Sporks. Backpack kit is Bush-Craft oriented instead of ultra-light.

Ultra-light enthusiasts please avert your eyes...

Cook kit in canvas bag:

Pot and stove in use:

Close-up:

Bush Pot with lid weighs eleven (11) ounces.
    Emberlit stove in zippered pouch weighs thirteen (13) ounces.
    Bowls, cups, etc., (2 of each) weigh eleven (11) ounces.
    Empty canvas bag weighs eight (8) ounces.
    Extras I toss in the bag weigh a couple ounces.
    Complete cook kit in canvas bag weighs two (2) pounds - thirteen (13) ounces.
    Forty-five (45) ounces total for complete cook kit.

Frost River Isle Royale... packed and ready to camp... base weight 25 lbs., 8 ounces:

Last edited by Phil_R; 10-22-2013, 02:50 PM.
    Phil
    Group: Canvas
    Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
    Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Re: Bush Pot & Imberlit Stove

Phil most of your pictures are not showing...can you get these links fixed? Thanks!
    Last edited by tplife; 10-22-2013, 09:00 PM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      Phil most of your pictures are not showing...can you get these links fixed? Thanks!
      Thanks for the heads-up... hopefully all the red X's are now pictures.
      Phil

Comment

Much better from now - from one "Oldie but Woodie" to another ! :cool:
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks for the neat info, Phil.

All in all, what is your take on the wood stove; weight, volume, usefullness? Is it better than, say, having a pot hanging over a fire with firestones around?

My friend showed me a similar stove that he made out of titanium based on a design he saw in a Popular Mechanics magazine. That stove completely disassembled so that it would lay flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Thanks for the neat info, Phil.

All in all, what is your take on the wood stove; weight, volume, usefullness? Is it better than, say, having a pot hanging over a fire with firestones around?

My friend showed me a similar stove that he made out of titanium based on a design he saw in a Popular Mechanics magazine. That stove completely disassembled so that it would lay flat.
            If you don't have the time or desire to build a traditional campfire, then the Imberlit serves the same purpose as any other portable camp stove. I prefer the Imberlit when stopping for a hot meal and/or drink, or anytime I don't feel like making a full campfire. My stove is the stainless steel model, (titanium is available) weighs 13 ounces in the zippered storage pouch I use.

Imberlit and zippered pouch:

Imberlit video:

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
              Is it better than, say, having a pot hanging over a fire with firestones around?
              Another advantage is that a well-lit fire in a wood stove is less sooty than an open campfire.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Another advantage is that a well-lit fire in a wood stove is less sooty than an open campfire.
                Really?! I didn't know that. Why do you suppose there is less soot with the wood stoves? Better air flow or hotter fire?

Comment

It's both - the better draft leads to a hotter and more concentrated fire. In an open fire, it's the wood that isn't completely consumed in flames that produces the heavy soot.
                  Last edited by MacGyver; 10-23-2013, 04:39 AM.

Comment

I knew a motorcycle rider/camper who uses the Emberlit stove. Really nice piece of gear. His was the titanium model. He also used it in his Tipi tent to provide some warmth on a cold night. Though he did say he had to constantly feed it wood during the night. So he'd wake every hour or so to feed it.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Phil,
                      A very stylish and dependable outfit. It is worth considering. I really like Duluth Packs. The Frost River is the next step up. We used Trapper Nelsons as kids.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
                        Phil,
                        A very stylish and dependable outfit. It is worth considering. I really like Duluth Packs. The Frost River is the next step up. We used Trapper Nelsons as kids.

Wow, PPine, hat is nostalgic. I almost forgot the words "Trapper Nelson" because it has been so long since I have heard those words

Comment

Working...
                        X