Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any FEMALE backpackers here? 'Cause I have questions .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any FEMALE backpackers here? 'Cause I have questions .....

(Men, please look away.)

Any advise out there about backpacking and the ominous lack of toilets?? Including any products/equipment you may have tried, because we women were not designed for this! I found a great little portable toilet online that weighs only 18 oz, but they are out of inventory and not available to order. Then there are the FUDs
    (female urinary device) .....

I will be hiking with a group of men (including my husband) and if I can't keep things easy and discreet, I may not go .... meaning not go on the trip, not the other "go" ..... Okay, enough said.

Re: Are there any FEMALE backpackers here? 'Cause I have questions .....

sorry, couldnt help but peek,
    but do have some advise,
    i hike/camped with wife, and also nieces,
    wife found a bucket to be more convenient, i know keep a toilet seat cover and a bucket when car camping,
    there are also methods using branches to make a makeshift sitting platform,
    i used this method a few weeks ago backwoods camping with my 2 nieces,
    they didnt mind it.
    kinda like crossing 2 long branches onto a 3rd supporting branch
    shaped like a V.
    you can also consider getting those folding toilet covers used for kids, can improvise and set it up somehow on a long/branches/etc.

Comment

I honestly don't know how my gf or daughter do their business in the woods, but they do it and have never complained...

Comment

I would like a report on the FUD device. I thought about getting one from my daughter. Since I am a guy, the only thing I can say, is I saw someone post about making a looping a rope around a tree and using the rope for support when squatting.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Male or female, we all carry a trowel when backpacking and make a "cat trench", or whatever you call it in your neck of the woods.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            sorry, couldnt help but peek,
            but do have some advise,
            i hike/camped with wife, and also nieces,
            wife found a bucket to be more convenient, i know keep a toilet seat cover and a bucket when car camping,
            there are also methods using branches to make a makeshift sitting platform,
            i used this method a few weeks ago backwoods camping with my 2 nieces,
            they didnt mind it.
            kinda like crossing 2 long branches onto a 3rd supporting branch
            shaped like a V.
            you can also consider getting those folding toilet covers used for kids, can improvise and set it up somehow on a long/branches/etc.
            Car camping isn't a problem, but a bucket won't fit in my pack. The branches sound like too much work to be worth it, but worth keeping mind. I guess I'd better do more deep knee bends to prep the leg muscles .... Did I just say that??
            Originally posted by Logtec View Post
            I honestly don't know how my gf or daughter do their business in the woods, but they do it and have never complained...
            Trust me, they're complaining. Just not to you.

I can't believe I'm discussing this with guys. ... whom I don't even know! Sheesh. My dignity has definitely left the room! Thanks though.

Comment

this is what i was referring to with the V or A,
              he has it lashed together, but that is optional,
              also if you find a tree with a low branch, you can use that for support and will give you a higher point to sit on.
              i had my 2 nieces use this couple weeks ago, and they had no complaints,
              while hiking you should be able to find 2-3 branches to make a quick version,
              when a camp is set up you can take the time and make a better version.
              thanks hog for reposting, i got the idea from the first time you posted this Vid.

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              Watch this video... This is absolutely, positively the best way to deal with this issue. I'm a guy but I camp with a lot of women and they all love me for teaching them this technique.

The Cheek Spreader Latrine

Comment

I used to mountain bike race, and all my friends were guys. I never really had any issue with finding a tree to hide behind and squatting in the woods.
                Today, I'm a bit more civilized and use a FUD. You barely have to slide down your shorts to tuck it in and you can stand to use it.
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I say learn to do your business in the woods -without a device.
                  You never know when you won't have a device to aid in you movement.
                  If you learn then you'll never need to carry something extra to help you..
                  All the females I backpack with including my daughter (who started young) don't find it a issue
                  Last edited by Logtec; 09-16-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I don't know how this is not a problem for the majority of the world's female population, but for some reason it is a problem for American women.

Women around the world seem to accomplish this function without any facilities whatsoever.

Comment

Tie a rope around a tree and lean back against it.

For the monthly personal issues I highly recommend a diva cup or similar (there are other brands). Just a wipe with wet wipe or even just a quick dump and go and wipe your hands with a moist towel if you're in a rush.
                      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                      Nights under the stars:
                      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Working...
                      X