Help me fix my problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me fix my problem

On my over night trip I was a little cold. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being a jump in the car and head home) I was probably a 5 or 6. The over night low was 45-50. I am trying to fix the problem without adding a bunch of gear or buying new gear. I have a 68L pack and a wife that would kill me if I purchased more gear right now.
    Gear used. Eno double nest hammock, with a DIY US Army poncho under quilt (hanging underneath) a sleeping bag liner and a Kelty 12x12 noah tarp.
    Clothes. Pair of jeans, medium duty t-shirt, regular socks and a unlined wind breaker.
    Possible fixes
    I am adding a reflective blanket (the heavy duty multi use type). This will be placed between the under quilt and the hammock.
    I have a small wool blanket, the ones that you get on an airplane for naps. It is a little shorter than what I would like, but I have it. Not to sure about this one, not sure its a good fix.
    I am going to go with 2 pair of socks next time. A wool set under a pair of heavy winter socks. The type I wear when I am working outside as a construction worker.
    I am going to change the wind breaker out for a heavy duty sweatshirt, and maybe a heavier t-shirt. Use the lighter t-shirt for the hike in.

I was also thinking of adding some insulated underwear for sleeping in. That means I would sleep in insulated underwear(maybe tops and bottom), a heavy duty t shirt, sweat shirt, blue jeans, and 2 pairs of socks. Now my legs weren't cold, just my back and feet. I know the 2 pair of socks will probably solve that. Now I am thinking of my back. If I have insulated underwear, a heavy duty shirt, and a sweatshirt, do I really need the extra wool blanket?

Any comments/questions would be appreciated. Remember, backpacking in the Rocky Mountains, so weight is as important as warmth.
    Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 07-21-2013, 04:57 PM. Reason: added info
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Help me fix my problem

Course if I move the reflective blanket from between the under quilt and hammock and use as a "burrito roll" then I doubt I would need the wool blanket. So think of me in the center, wrapped up in the sleeping bag liner, then wrapped up in the reflective blanket. That should make me warm. Leave the wool blanket at home and add the clothing options as stated above.

I know there are easy fixes, I just seem to be missing them.

Comment

One issue may be sleeping on a hammock: this is a typical heat sink in cold weather. R-value is around 0.75, the same as a cot or tubular air mattress. You want to achieve thermo-neutral 5.0 R-value. You're right, the reflective blanket only works if you wrap yourself inside it like a burrito. Used as a barrier without enclosure around you, it does nothing whatsoever. If you could replace the empty air space underneath the hammock with say, flexible open cell foam, this would insulate you from the conductive loss of heat through the open airspace. Another solution: Thermo-neutral or greater barrier, i.e.; self-inflating mattress, closed cell foam pad, thick open cell foam pad, etc. Any of these rated 5.0 or greater will only leave your sleeping bag as a possible culprit. Wind exposure is a big thermal draw of your body heat as well. Consider places like Ebay for new or used gear, it is a huge savings!
      Last edited by tplife; 07-21-2013, 08:59 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Here is the step by step set up of the hammock.. I use mule tape that I "acquired" from work. It is very light, strong and doesn't stretch.

Here is a picture of the DIY US Army Poncho liner under quilt. It hangs from the ridge line and hangs underneath the hammock. I also added some Velcro, so you can close it up at the top and you are enclosed in the poncho liner.

next is adding a lightweight tarp for cover.

And this is a peek inside.

The airplane blanket that I got is 100% wool. I found it a thrift store for like $5 or something. It doesn't take up much space, so I wll take it. But I think if I add the survival blanket and the clothes I should be a lot better. Actually the reflective blanket I was referring to is this http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...r-blanket#tabs I think if I get inside the sleeping bag liner and wrap the all weather blanket around me, then I should be ok. with the added insulated underwear top and sweat shirt.

Comment

I agree that you need more insulation under the quilt compressed by your body weight. A simple ensolite foam pad or equivalent should warm you up a lot. If the low was in the high 40s and the pad doesn't solve your problem, you need a warmer sleeping bag.

Comment

Working...
          X