Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pack, Tent, and Sleeping Gear Descicions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pack, Tent, and Sleeping Gear Descicions.

Hey guys.

In about 5 weeks i will be going on an adventure across country from LA. we will be doing generous amounts of 1 night hiking and camping and i am pretty new to backpacking. we are looking at mostly being in secluded wilderness and are looking to camp and back pack as light as possible to compensate for the heavy (6-10 lbs) photo gear we will be bringing.

There will be two of us for most of the way, and three once we get to the more mild terrain of texas and louisiana into florida.

As of now we have agreed on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 3 tent which which weighs about 3 pounds 3 ounces when packed, and measures 5 inches by 9 inches. ]\

Sleeping pads and bags have not been purchased so light weight minimalist set ups are more than welcome. i had my eye on a big agnes bag and pad set up on ebay but i am open to diy/minimal suggestions here.

Lastly, and where im most confused, is my pack. I would really like to stay somewhere under 50L. i am not sure if this is possible carrying the tent and gear to camp in the wilderness for just a night. I want to know what the smallest pack i can get away with is, while comfortably carrying the UL3, and sleeping arrangements for a night.

we are looking to do this as cheap as possible on the gear side as alot of our money is going toward the tent and sleep setup. i have been seeing packs for under 100 dollars and i wouldn't mind spending around 75.

also not against discount websites, used gear, or clearance suggestions.

thanks everyone.

Re: Pack, Tent, and Sleeping Gear Descicions.

Don't over think the purchases of equipment. Find something that will hold up and fits your budget. Make sure it is not too heavy. Then go get some experience. That is the important part. We used to backpack with equipment from the Army surplus store and did fine. So will you.

Comment

I would look at the REI Quarter Dome T3 Plus tent. It weights 5 lb 7 oz, less than two pounds per person. Its $150 cheaper, and bigger. BA UL 3 is 90x66, QDT3P is 94x72. BA UL 3 has one door, the QDT3P has two. More space and two doors would be my choice if I was in your shoes. Actually if I was going cross country, I would go for my own tent. That is going to be a lot of togetherness. You could look at individual tarp tents from Six Moons Design ( I carry their Lunar Duo even when I go by myself), TarpTent or BA. BA has their new Scout UL2 which weighs in at 1 lb. 9 oz, 90 x 54 inches (requires trekking poles). That tent looks very good. Close to the size of the UL 3, but for me that would be a one man tent. Plenty of room to spread out and bring your gear inside.

Comment

Low-weight bags are sometimes cut a little narrower. The right bag for the right person in the right conditions means a backpacker saves on both weight and bulk.

Comment

Working...
        X