Low fuel operation on MSR Whisperlite International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low fuel operation on MSR Whisperlite International

I used my MSR stove for the first time on a recent camping trip and ended up having to cook my last meal using the fire pit because I couldn't get the stove to work with low fuel. I still had a good 3-4 inches of fuel in the can when upright. When placed on its side for use, obviously that level would become much lower thus making it more difficult for the plastic tube to draw a constant supply. When I tried to use the stove, it consistently sputtered and the flame would not stay lit more than a few seconds. I tried opening the can and bending the plastic tube even more so it would draw from the very edge of the can but this didn't make much a difference. It makes sense to me why I'm having trouble but if there isn't any way around this, it just seems like a huge design oversight on the part of MSR.

Have any of you experienced this? What does MSR expect us to do when our fuel gets below 20%? Thanks!

Re: Low fuel operation on MSR Whisperlite International

I had the same problem, I got rid of my MSR and bought the "Optimus nova+" (It cost alittle more $150-ish). It is a way better stove- it is slightly heavier but its easy to prime/light, the pump is an all metal construction, its very soild and sturdy, easy to clean and maintain in the field and it will use almost all the fuel in the bottle.
    Last edited by Logtec; 04-03-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I guess that's not the answer I wanted but it is certainly helpful insight. Thank you for the response. I'll have to take a look at that Optimus nova.

Comment

This might be obvious, but I have seen the mistake made many times by experienced MSR users;

Remember that the MSR bottle only works if it is laying flat on the correct side. If you have trouble with what seems to be a starved fuel line - flip the fuel bottle over on it's opposite side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          This might be obvious, but I have seen the mistake made many times by experienced MSR users;

Remember that the MSR bottle only works if it is laying flat on the correct side. If you have trouble with what seems to be a starved fuel line - flip the fuel bottle over on it's opposite side.
          Good point!

Also- Make sure the tube is resting in the fuel, sometimes you have to
          re-bend the plastic tube slightly and carefully, to force it so it is touching the side of the bottle. (That way the tube is laying in the fuel, while the bottle is on its side- while in use)

One nice thing about The Optimus Nova+,
          the pump has "on" and "off" written on either side.
          "on" is for on..
          to shut the stove off you can turn off the valve(if you are not planing to pack away the stove) or, flip the bottle over, to "off"- in the "off" position- the stove remains lit for a minute or two while the bottle depressurizes and burns off the remaining fuel in the line. This is great so you don't spray(waste) fuel all over yourself when unscrewing the pump from the bottle.
          Last edited by Logtec; 04-06-2013, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X