internal or external

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internal or external

I have always used an external backpack. I like being able to lasch stuff to the frame, but I was wondering which one is more comfortable and carries the most stuff?
    How big is big enough? I just bought an Alps Commander backpack with 5500 cu inches of stowage. How big a pack do you use?
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir

Re: internal or external

I strapped on the old external frame pack this past weekend to do some cross-country ski camping. I was happy with the amount of stuff I could put into and onto the external frame backpack and I like the feel of the weighting on my hips - better, I thought, than most internal frame packs.

I like the way the external pack kept the pack off of my back. It was more comfortable.

HOWEVER, the external frame pack definately had a kinetic balance disadvantage. That is, if you fall down when skiing, the external frame pack can drill your face into the snow and fall into a completely unnatural position. If you bend and shift your body, the external frame pack can slide or shift off of the center of your back.

So, my opinion is that for straight hiking, the external frame packs are more comfortable - especially when carrying lots of weight. For lots of motion like skiing or maybe technical climbing, internal frame packs are better because they stay with your body without shifting around.

Comment

I think that internal pack frames are much more comfortable on your shoulders and back. However, you are generally able to pack more if you use a external frame. This isn't usually an issue for me because I always try to keep my backpack light. The advantage to having an external frame is that the frame positions the weight further up your back which gives you a better posture since it puts more of the load on your hips. The disadvantage to the external frame is that they aren't as stable, due to the weight that is positioned higher on your back.

Comment

I have always preferred external frame packs and recently bought 2 old Kelty packs off eBay for less than $30 apiece. Pockets, a cool back, easy to adjust. You can carry a kid, an outboard motor or an elk quarter in a pinch. Or your buddies stuff when he sprains an ankle.

I had a fancy internal frame from the North Face and gave it away.

It is interesting to go to a store like the REI flagship store in Seattle. On the wall are about 70-80 different internal frame packs. Not one external. They are available in the catalogue but not in the store. Extreme prejudice I say. And for no reason. People always want to talk about hiking off-trail with internals. If you are a mountain climber/rock climber this arguement may have some merit. For the rest of us mortals it is a rationalization.

Comment

Take the gear you want to carry with you to a store like REI. Use your gear to determine what size pack. Try on several different styles and find which one works for you. For me I carry my old reliable Kelty Super Tioga. I don't fill the pack up any more with the newer equipment available, with pack less than 30 pounds. I am a sweater and the airflow between my back and pack is nice. I also tend to walk more upright with an external. That said, if you are going off trail, the externals hold the weight away from the center line of you body making you a little tippy.

I agree with ppine, very few people I know really go off trail. In fact most of the people I have talked to who go off trail are back country hunters and they tend to go with externals for the load bearing capability.

Comment

Walt,
            Nice post. There is no teacher like experience.

Comment

i usually use an internal pack
              this past trip had me think about pro/cons of such
              i usually carry 20-30 lbs in my internal, and never have a problem,
              this past trip i had about 40 lbs in my pack, plus was carrying additional knapsack with rope about 5 lbs, canvas, about 10 lbs, additional spool of rope about 5 lbs
              and a swead saw strapped to my pack
              probably +60 lbs,
              after a tough trek through the swamp found myself soaking wet with sweat,
              i usually am not one to sweat much and it wasnt that hot out,
              just heavy load, tough trek, and internal frame lead to being soaked,
              thinking internal frame is better suited for lighter loads, and external for heavier loads,

Comment

I'm 5'9" 220lbs stalky build.
                (I don't know if the fact that I'm a plumber and have worked a heavy laborious job for the last 20 years- helps-- the fact that I am comfortable carrying a heavy pack comfortably for long periods, while in the backcountry... Some people here seem to think a "3lb North face tent" is a big weight issue but it doesn't bother me...)

I use a modern 82L pack(non external frame)
                made by MEC (mountain equipment co-op- it's a Canadian company)
                its a very comfortable pack, with lots of external pockets and tie downs for strapping on gear.
                Ive used it on many 3-14day trips all year-round/rain and snow, and it has served me well.
                I've trekked with up to 50lbs in my pack(for days) and it was very comfortable on my back.
                My pack is a out 5yeas old but the new version is Seen here:
                http://www.mec.ca/product/5011-460/m...10+50042+50089
                Last edited by Logtec; 08-20-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Osprey makes several lines of packs with what they call their "Air Speed" suspension system. it's a tiny aluminum wire frame that holds the pack about two inches away from your back for good cooling ventilation. I have two of them for day hiking:

A Stratos 34 for summer day hking:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/stratos_series

And an Atmos 50 for winter hiking when I need extra room for stashing down jackets, gloves, and hats and microspikes and a bigger pack for lashing snow shoes to the outside:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/mens/atmos_series_1

Both of them have integral pockets for Osprey's awesome 2-liter and 3-liter water bladders. The Atmos gets rave reviews as a popular AT thru-hike pack -- the 50 liter for ultralight and the 65 liter for a bigger load.

Definitely worth checking out I've found this frame system to be very comfortable.

Comment

I used to backpack with an external frame built along the lines of the Kelty series externals. However, the bug has bitten me again and after doing a lot of reading on forums, I decided to try an internal. As I am just trying this out and as I am not as young as I was when I hiked the AT, I elected to go with a surplus MARPAT ILBE. It is really sized like an expedition pack and is a bit heavy at 6 pounds, but is supposed to be almost bombproof. It was designed by Arc'teryx, a well respected outdoor equipment manufacturer. There are a few trails here in South MS to explore and I intend to try it out on those. I will let y'all know how that turns out.

I have also seen some of the Osprey bckpacks and they seem to be well built and thought out.

As a bit of an aside, I was at Bass Pro Shop in Pearl, MS and they had two Kelty externals on display...brought back many memories. :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X