Ultralight Layering System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultralight Layering System

Different people have different opinions on what is best to wear while backpacking. From my experience I prefer a layering system. I like to have a base layer, an insulation layer, a soft shell, and a hard shell. This way no matter what climate I am in, or how bad the weather is, I am good to go. Over the years I have found various different pieces from different outdoor companies and pieced together a layering system of my own. This approach works but there are certain drawbacks.

A major thing that bothers me about using different companies products is that they are not made to go together. They all have different cuts, shapes and lengths. It would be nice to find a company that made a layering system from base layer to hard shell that all fit together. If the pieces where all cut in the same shape mobility would be greatly improved because you would not have products "fighting" against each other, all the seams could be in the same places thus not restricting movement.. The vents to dump heat could all line up. I have tried assembling a layering system using just one company, but all of the pieces are designed individually instead of collectivly.

Does anyone know of a company that makes an ultra light layering system like I described? Cuz I'm tired of this mish mash. There has to be a better way....

Re: Ultralight Layering System

Probably the closest you could come on a 'layered' jacket would be a textile vented motorcycle jacket with zip-out insulated liner. But, you'd still have different under layers. Nobody makes a truly complete 'system'. If they did, it would be mighty expensive!
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Have you looked at Scottevest? http://www.scottevest.com/

Pricy, but they often run 40-50% off specials in their email feed. They can be picked up on eBay occasionally for a good price.

I treated myself to the travel vest last year and wear it at work as well as camping. Their sizes run small, so keep that in mind.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I'm definitely into the whole layering system too!! If it's cooler outside and i"m not moving, i get really cold, but once I start moving, I warm up super easily!! Hence, all the layers!! I usually go with a base layer (i like wearing a tank top), then a t-shirt overtop (if it's cooler out), then a thin long sleeve, and then some mid layers depending on temperature and how much exertion the hike requires. I only pull out the shell when it's raining or super windy, or if i'm stopping to break or eat!

Have you ever heard of the brand Icebreaker?? They make all the different layers (baselayer, a range of mid layers, and then an outer layer and recently have started making more of the windprroof water resistant layers). Best part about it is that it's all wool!! But merino wool so it's super soft and comfortable!! It's breathable, regulates your temperature, and one of the best things, it doesn't stink!! Seriously, it's all I take with me when I go backpacking (well, that and a waterproof shell). They are a bit pricey, but they last!! And they look good coming off the trail too (so you don't have to feel like you're wearing your dirty hiking clothing if you're going back into civilization!!). And no, i don't work for Icebreaker, I'm just a huge fan of their clothing!! And, they are meant to be layered, so when you wear all the layers, they breathe like one garment. I'm not sure if that's quite what you're looking for....the cuts do work together (from my experience) and i never have a problem with one seam rubbing against the other. Though the lengths do vary. And you can buy some with zippers (1/4 length zippers which can be good to help keep your neck warm) or just crew necks though i've worn 3 different layers each with zippers and they don't really interfere with each other!!

But I'd try maybe one piece first and see how you like it (if you're at all interested) before making the plunge because like I said, they are pricey!! But if you walk into any outdoor store that carries them, most of the people there will rave about it!!

Comment

Working...
        X