Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternatives to backpack to scoliosis suffering minimalist backpackers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to backpack to scoliosis suffering minimalist backpackers.

So, I cannot use a proper backpack, with more than 8 kilos of weight, without nasty neck/shoulder pains.

I am looking for a pack that is supported mainly by my lumbar/back, rather than shoulders. I have found a few lumbar packs, but the biggest I've found was 854 inches cube/about 16 litres. Withouth my sleeping gear and a jacket, this is not enough room for my gear. If anyone can point me towards a lumbar/back supported (With shoulder straps, but with most weight on back, with back lower down) pack, with 30L capacity, I'd be grateful. I'd probably use a bit of webbing for a bottle and smaller personal effects. I'm in no means wealthy, and much prefer natural fibres.

Cheers!

Re: Alternatives to backpack to scoliosis suffering minimalist backpackers.

You may look at a leg pack system.
    I remember looking at some stuff a couple of years ago used by rescue and ski patrol people. They were some larger bags that had a waist belt and strapped to your outer thigh.(could not find again right now)
    There is Maxpedition stuff that may help and let you take a smaller lumbar pack for your sleeping bag and tent.

Comment

try to keep your pack tall and slim, which forces the weight downward onto your waist,
      as opposed to one that sticks out, that pulls the weight on your shoulders,
      can also try a pack with an external frame,
      or can pull your gear on a cart of sorts
      something similar to this

Comment

Eagle Creek packs are heavy. Try a Gregory Z series pack. They're the best for placing the weight on your hips/lumbar. BTW...the weight should always be on your hips...not your shoulders.
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I second the recommendation from some who suggest using a wheeled trailer of some sort to haul your gear. Unless you are blazing your own trails or going mountain hiking, that could be your solution. Hitch the trailer to a waist belt like the winter camping folks do with their sleds.

That said, any good backpack should be able to suspend nearly all the weight of the pack on your hips. The shoulder straps just keep the pack close to your body. You might look at some good quality external frame packs rather than internal frame packs. It has been long known that external frame packs are better at putting the weight onto the hips. I am not sure exactly why, but internal frame packs became the fashion rage starting in about the mid to late 1980's and external frame packs became a distant memory.

I certainly do remember the stark difference in load carrying, however, when I went to internal frame packs. I longed for my better external frame pack, but my brother had already absconded it to college and it never came back.

I don't see a lot of external frame pack offerings today, but you might be well served to see some of the older Kelty or Jansport backpacks of the 1980's, maybe on ebay, for example. Be sure to pay very close attention to the suspension system - especially the hip belt and shoulder straps. The early stuff pre-1977 had soft straps and were really terrible. but by about 1977 through the mid 1980's, there were some good designs and materials in play. If you were cleaver, you could apply some modern straps to an older external frame pack.

Comment

problem that I see with the cart...if you're on the AT...that cart isn't going to make. There are sections of the AT where you'll be cursing the day that cart was ever invented.
            2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Become an ultra-light backpacker and get your weight under20 pounds or so. Then find a used external frame pack that fits you. Keep a tight waist belt and loose shoulder straps and there will almost no weight on your back.

Comment

I know it is an old thread, but I agree with ppine...go with a good external.

Comment

not sure of specific benefits of external to internal
                  externals are better at hauling more weight than internals,
                  1 thing to consider i would try changing how you load the pack,
                  standard practice is to load the sleeping bag on the bottom,
                  i would try loading it on top with heavier item low and close to your waist.

i would be curious as to type of camping your doing?
                  distance? duration? type of trails? etc...

for the waistpack idea
                  when hunting/camping i do use a large wastepack and backpack,
                  when carrying both i have the waistpack up front,
                  and switch it to the back when backpack comes off,
                  will take some load off your pack

Comment

I own a 1972 EMS model that's essentially identical to its rival, made by Kelty. The lower suspension is firm, well-designed, comfortable, and still performs like new. The only significant changes made to these packs are additional padding attachments around the belt, and are mostly cosmetic. I think it was the late '60s externals that had the God-awful lower suspension. Colin Fletcher's book, The Complete Walker, is considered the bible of backpacking and should be part of every camper's library. It goes into great lengths to describe the physics and assembly of packs and their contents, as well as every important aspect of gear, technique, and methods.
                    Last edited by tplife; 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM.
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                    X